Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need to borrow about ten grand.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobOtto, Sep 15, 2002.

1. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No problem... where'd I put that spare kidney?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad, I think you left it under the solid gold couch you have. How you got the gold soft enough to be used as furniture...that's beyond me, but I could swear the kidney is under it. You'll have to lift the platinum dust cover though.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry, the delivery person was at the door with this week's supply of mink TP... were you saying something?

5. i'm not much of a fender guy......

until i saw that!!!!! :eek:

daayyyumm!!!! super sex hot yummy delicious bass.....

if i had the salad, i'd consider paying maybe 2 or 3 large, but 6 to 10k? no way....... for that kind of lettuce, i could buy two dream basses and have 3000 to 7000 left over.

then again, i'm a cheap old bastard.

:D

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That bass is gorgeous!

But I don't have any spare kidneys at the moment either... :(

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Not that I'm any kind of expert, and not to question the bass' authenticity. . .
    I am surprised to see a couple of interesting features on this bass. I've never seen a flame maple neck like that on an old pre-CBS Fender. The tuners don't appear to have "Fender" stamped on them. And the decal seems to be placed further up the headstock than usual. Just curious,
    LM Bass

8. Well, now I know what to buy when I go through a midlife crisis a few decades down the line.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Paging Rickbass... Here's another Pre CBS for ya. :D

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i dont know, call me crazy or flame me, but $6 to 10 k - you gotta be kidding!! sorry, but there are just too many very fine basses around for $2 to 3 k to even think about that... its just ridiculous.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i think the price is way to high for that bass... I mean it is nice.. but I could get something much better for that price..

13. Very nice, but I'd much rather have a Sadowsky, a Surine, and an Eden Metro, all of which I could pick up for under 10k.

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I think he's hoping to play on someone's sentimentality, and honestly I can't say I blame him:) You know some poor old sap will drop the coin for that bass just to put it in a glass case...sad really.

Alex

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Reason has very little to do with buying vintage or antique stuff. I wouldn't buy it if looking at it primarily as an instrument (actually I don't buy any old stuff), but I can still appreciate rare items in good condition - what are the chances these things survive so well for so long? People buy paintings, old pottery and jewelery for much the same reasons. To say that someone is crazy for doing this is a bit harsh, you just value different things. Some people have cars that go three times the legal limit - what's the reasoning behind that?

PS. My car is very reasonable, it barely does 2.5 times the limit... :D

16. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    $6-10,000 would be what an authentic pre-CBS Fender would go for. That is not a 64 jazz bass.

Look at the headstock, that's the most recent Fender logo stamped on it. This is probably a customer shop re-issue that some ass clown is trying to pawn off as the real deal.

I love this quote in his description:

"Please dont send E-mails for me to verify its authenticity."

yeah, because it's not authentic...

17. Yeah, this auction was also posted over at the FDP site, and the resident Fender experts there were also dubious of its authenticity. I don't know enough about old Fenders to say whether or not this is the real thing, but for 10 grand, I'd definitely want to check it out first. The guy auctioning this bass seems to be trying to hide something.

18. Yeah, I think I got 10 grand......:searches wallet:....uhh do you have change for a million?

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i love it when people with probably very little pre cbs experiece all of a sudden become fender experts and are willing to call it a fake.

so its too clean? so what, it's happened before and itll probably happen again.the decal is correct for the time period(if you havent seen all the variety that went on in where the decal is placed then you havent seen enough pre cbs jazzes), L plate, there's not supposed to be fender stamped on the tuners, ive seen more flame than that on some pre cbs jazzes, etc. the only thing you can really bring up with the description is wheter its really blonde or olympic white because you cant see any grain in the pictures.

so you wouldnt buy it? that's cool, but the guy that does isnt a chump or a sap or whatever. check how much the value will go up on this bass in 10 years compared to sadowsky that'll drop.

20. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    With respect to the asking price/value for this bass:

If this bass isn't the real deal, I hope they throw the seller where the sun don't shine- but assuming it is the real thing...

The value of the instrument is determined by the
    market created by collectors. I've heard of many vintage instruments,being snatched up like artwork,
    placed in vaults while their scarcity increases the investment. What a shame! Leo designed those basses to be thumped & plucked, and to reap the sounds of Duck Dunn & Jamerson, & Jaco, & you & me!
    NOT to sit in a glass case like the freakin' Mona Lisa!

However, in reality, we have supply & demand, & like real estate values, or antiques of any sort, etc. etc. they become increasingly valuable 'cause they
    just don't make 'em no more! I wish i had my old Lionel trains & comics & baseball cards too!

Anyway, if I owned this axe, irregardless of its authenticity or value, I would play & slap the sh****** out of it!!:D