Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need to change my cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by larrytron, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Hi TBers!

I actually own a Gk700rB and a Marshall DBS410+h(4omhs,800W)
    I love the sound but the cab weighs more than 125lbs(57 kg)... my back 's begging me to change. i can't manage this bloody heavy cab anymore. I did put casters but it's still a pain to put it in the car,stairs...
    i've seen threads about the Epi UL series,they look exactly what I'm looking for but they're quite hard to find and pricey in Europe.
    Do you know any other brands that have lightweight speakers? or not so heavy...:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for your input.

larry:bassist:

2. Maybe a couple Shroeder 1210s. I think that Jorg Scroeder guy has, and will ship to EU.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    This is just my opinion buttttttt, look into some Genz-Benz stuff. I use their LS410T cab, and it's really light, sounds really good and it can handle 400w @8ohms.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Bergantino
    EBS

5. Have you ever tried Markbass cabs? they are quite light and seem to be powerful.

I took a look to Schroeder cabs Website....:cool:

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It's on his website. The smaller boxes go for $649 and the larger boxes go for $865. Both these prices are plus shipping.

7. BAssPlayer Magazine said they were harsh sounding, but agreed that they were light.

8. Thanxs for your answer, I noticed the price just right after I posted.

9. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I have an Avatar 410 neo I sell!

10. I might be interested in your Avatar(is it a 8 or 4ohm?PM your price, please.). Remember I'm in France, though.

On the avatar website they go for $359, they're damn cheap...

11. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I was in the same situation. Replaced my Trace Elliot 15" and self made 12" with a pair of Hevos Midget cabs (single 10"). They are not exactly cheep. But they are handmade in the EU by some very nice people, good construction, quality components, the + version has an excellent tweeter, and at 400 watts each they blow away most bigger cabs. Available in 4 and 8 ohms. Carry one in each hand (weight app. 14 kg each). I choose to bring either one or two cabs, depending on the location. Now my amp is heavier than my cabs :) and I don't need a huge car anymore.

Check some posts from tombowlus for comparison to other small cabs.

12. yea Hevos makes good speakers,but htey're really expensive...

the compact 12+ 6is the one that makes me gasin'... but 925euros:bawl:

13. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I liked that one very much too, but surprisingly enough it doesn't have the Midget's low-end response. It is great for fretless or db, and sounds stunning when paired with their 15" cab. But not enough lowdown oomph for a standalone cab.

I was in doubt when faced with the choice of either a 12+6 or a pair of Midgets. For transportation and flexibility the latter seemed more attractive to me, but the 12+6 was also appealing as a standalone cab. After hearing both, and given the fact that the 12+6 together with matching 15" was way over my budget, it was a simple decision.

BTW, just a single Midget+ cab is already very cool. It doesn't impress by the looks, but makes up when you hook it up and start playing :) At first sight 590 euro seems expensive for a single 10", but it sounds better than many larger cabs in the same price range. And you can do with a much smaller car. If you drive a large car for the sole purpose of transporting your bass rig, a pair of Midgets comes for free with a smaller car :cool: My whole rig (4 unit rack, two cabs, two basses) now fits in the trunk of a regular european size car.

14. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Impressive! Their 10" is a lot smaller, even their 12" cab is lighter than my Hevos cabs. Have never heard these, but they sure look good.

It's 2he units, isn't it? Just keep GASsing a little longer. I've been told the Hevos guys are working on something similar (excellent tube pre, high power digital power amp, to be used in stereo, biamp, or bridged mode) in one unit.

15. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I had my speakers turned up on my computer, and I wasn't using them, when I clicked that link, i almost crapped my pants cause of the music. It scared me.

16. +1:D