1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need to design a cab....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 14, 2020.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, I want to build my perfect rig. The small details (for now) don't really matter.

I would like to he able to plug in different driver characteristics, and/or dimensions, and toy with the numbers.

The short version is the lightest 2-15 cab, with wide frequency response, that I can make. I would like the dimensions as small as possible but responds well. Being sort of old-school, I prefer sealed with no tweeter. I may end up toying with a sealed mid driver too. But I prefer just 2 15s.

I definitely want an old-school vibe. I don't need FRFR. I don't need ported, wall-shaking, boom. I certainly don't need a tweeter. But some full-range drivers would be nice. In other words, a smooth, responsive, top end, but with no sizzle.

I don't want to try to defy physics. But I want the closest thing I can get to a small, sealed, 215, that physics will allow. Straight vertical is fine. Or staggered/diagonal is fine.

Neo drivers for sure.

Or, if you know of a custom builder who already makes such a thing, by all means, point me in that direction.

I'm capable (with the help of my father) of building the cab myself.

Is there a software that will allow someone with no PhD in physics to just play around with the numbers?

There's a twist coming later....

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There's an extensive set of DIY cab build references in the Amps FAQ here.

By opting for a sealed 15 cab you've already eliminated 90 something percent of the usual candidate drivers as far as optimal applications. Can't help you beyond that, but plenty of other people should be along shortly. Yel_wink.gif

Balog, DJ Bebop, basscooker and 3 others like this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

"I need two 15s"

"I don't need wall-shaking boom"

Well what are we going for here? A monster of a cab or something small and casual?

;) :D

Just get a fEARful/less with a true 3-way x-over and save yourself the headache.

Balog, DrMole, Socobass and 6 others like this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Somewhere in between. There's and ulterior motive here as well which will be revealed in due time.

pellomoco14 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  5. Don't need to shake the room. Do a 2x8 and put it on a stand.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are other physical requirements.... and, quite honestly, emotional/cool factor requirements.... that mandate the 215 format. There's a method to my madness.

themarshall, Ekulati and mikewalker like this.
  7. The johnk_10 Starliner is pretty optimally light. Eq it down a bit in the lows and use the Eminences.

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Tiny isn't an objective. The smallest 215 I can get away with (and still be true to the physics of the drivers) is.

9. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Right now would be good. Withholding important info is a bad plan if you want good input from well informed sources, IMO and IME.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Just out of curiosity, and 'cos I think it'd be a better idea, why not two separate cabs, with a single15 in each?

charlie monroe likes this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The plan doesn't really affect the cab... from a physics standpoint.

Short version: Small as possible 215 cab with "old school" sound. Tiny isn't a concern. Ridiculously loud isn't a concern. 2 15" speakers is settled.

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just personal preference.

Oddly likes this.
  13. Welp, go download WinISD and start plugging drivers and box volumes in. Hit F1, it has instructions on how to enter drivers properly, and there's not a whole lot else you need to do a simulation. If you don't wanna tell us anything other than it's a 2x15, that's all that can be said...

smogg, Jeff Scott, basscooker and 4 others like this.
  14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Please tell me that this isn't some continuation of the Isovent/anti-crossover threads.

Balog, DJ Bebop, Jeff Scott and 4 others like this.
  15. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    OK then, just call these guys and let them take your money. They'll be perfectly happy to suggest optimal sealed cab configs for a few different drivers and it should come out fine: https://usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

If you browse through the 15" bass driver listings there you'll see some suggested cab sizes for sealed applications, at least for a handful of Eminence drivers. This will put you in the ballpark and give you some known good prospects to get you started on modeling potential builds.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  16. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    If it has to be a sealed cab I would start with looking for suitable drivers.
    You also want neodymium drivers.
    Quick look at Eminence, I would choose the Deltalite II 2515

Also suited for bass guitar. Works well in sealed or vented enclosures.

two fingers likes this.
  17. That was the design goal of the Starliner. No beyond vintage low end, best size to take advantage of 215 for 4 string bass ie without turning them into midrange boxes. Light braced design.

Chickenwheels and two fingers like this.
  18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

No.

DJ Bebop likes this.