Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need to learn Spanish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I thought moving to San Francisco would be easy compared to New Orleans - people speak mush mouth down there! Turns out, I need to speak Spanish to get by in California. What's the best way to learn? I'm thinking maybe a computer program or something, or perhaps a CD I can convert and put on my iPod. Anybody got any suggestions for this gringo?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speak English loudly and slowly. Seems to work for most people.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I-NEED-TO-LEARN-SPANISH. HELPFUL-REPLIES-ONLY, POR-FA-VOR?
    :spit:

:D

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i speak spanish.

we'll make this the spanish learning thread. :) ;)

5. Hmm, interesting. Sounds like my high school. Keep in mind, (I know this from personal experience) just because they're only speaking spanish doens't mean they can't speak fluid english.They often choose not too.

6. they should speak english, and if they don't. then your in an immigrant town. move to haight st. or something.

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Personally, I always learn best with a teacher (or in a classroom situation) as opposed to self-study. I'd suggest a tutor or possibly an adult education course.

Spanish is probably one of the easier languages for an english speaking person to learn.

Good luck,

Tom

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I live on Haight St. The only language they understand there is drugs.
    :p

9. It is a hobby of mine to learn languages and have found numerous outstanding aids in the learning of Spanish. I've incuded some of them in the following list.

1. http://www.transparent.com/
    This website offers excellent tools for learning numerous languages, including Spanish.
    2. "The New World Spanish/English English/Spanish Dictionary" as edited by Salvatore Ramondino and published by "New American Library". I have several dictionaries and this is my favorite. It is quite complete as it includes many many words that other dictionaries do not include and has an excellent pronunciation guide.
    3. "501 Spanish Verbs" - by Christopher Kendris. This book fully conjugates the most common verbs in Spanish in a manner easily understood. Very useful since the Spanish verb structure is more complex than English.
    4. "The Oxford-Duden Pictorial Spanish and English Dictionary". Very invaluable to look at complex pictures on most any topic imaginable and have the parts broken down in both Spanish and English. Helps build noun vacabulary.
    5. "NTC's Dictionary of Common Mistakes in Spanish" - by the National Textbook Company. Again, another invaluable book to help avoid common errors of English speakers in Spanish.
    6. "See It and Say It in Spanish". A simple little picture book but very effective. It's a nice beginners tool. I loaned it to my daughter several years ago and haven't seen it since so I can't offer the name of the author or the publisher.

This list certainly doesn't exhaust all possible resources, I could offer many more. However, I have personally used each of the above and can say that they are very helpful and make learning easier. The books listed above are available at most bookstores. I purchased mine from "B Dalton" and "Barnes & Noble". Also, one can study everyday for years and probably will not adequately learn any language without actually using it. The real way to learn is to get out there, mix with the native speakers, and immerse yourself in the language (this really speeds up the learning curve too). Don't be intimidated about making mistakes. It is a normal part of learning. A plus in learning Spanish is that most native Spanish speakers are impressed that someone would try learn their language, are forgiving of grammatical errors made by those learning the language, and are courteous in their correction (if they even do correct you).

10. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    CERVEZA.... :hyper:

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    donde esta las bonita mujeras? where are the pretty girls?

yo neccisito una cerveza para mi y una para esat mujera. i need a beer for me and one for this girl.

tus ojos estan como el mar. your eyes are like the ocean.

yo en un grupo de musica...yo toco la guitara primera. i'm in a band i play the lead guitar ;)

that should be useful.....

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Quién es su papá?
    Dónde está el baño
    Ella me dijo que fueran dieciocho, oficial!
    No he tenido bastante cerveza a ir a casa con usted.
    Estoy aquí golpear el asno con el pie y masticar el chicle de globo, y soy todo fuera de goma.

Should get you through any sticky situation.

13. i know how you feel...getting around in some parts of houston is pretty tough without some spanish knowledge. So I refuse to learn.

Hooray for being stubborn.

And davy is right, a large amount DO know english fluently, they just dont like speaking it.

14. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    You don't need to learn. I've been doing quite well in Miami, FL without speaking Spanish

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hell I took 3 high school spanish classes, went to costa rica for 2 weeks to study spanish, visited spain even. I still can't speak it.

well, I can read it pretty well, and understand it decently, but damn if I can actually communicate with it :(

ah well, guess I don't have the gift of gab. A buddy of mine, he picked it up so well in like...4 months, he was able to hold conversations and write and everything. Some people just have an easier time with languages I guess.

But that's not to say you can't learn them with time and effort. My sister reads and writes ancient greek and latin fluently. As well as speaks french fluently, I don't think she has a natural inclination towards language, but she is a hard worker, and very studious.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm just good with body language and visual aides.

In all seriousness, though, I am bi-lingual. I just ended up speaking a language that's unfortunately pretty rare (like Esparanto).

I speak English, and am fluent in Gibberish.

17. In school I took German, that was one of the things I wish I could switch. After high school I spent a year in El Paso and then 2 years in Panama. Not a lot of German speakers in either place. The German never did me a bit of good, but that Spanish would have been priceless. At the Mexican restaurant this afternoon watching Boobievision... I mean Univision... yum... :D

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've always wanted to learn Japanese, though. Call it fanboy, but I'd really like to be able to watch Japanese movies (like "Shall We Dance?" "Battle Royale" "Audition", et al) and anime without having to deal with the subtitles, or worse, dubbing. You lose so much of the story and so many nuances witht the language barrier, I figure it'd be worth it to learn Japanese.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Battle Royale was made by 'beat' takeshi.

he also was the man behind 'takeshi's castle' which is a whacky gameshow from japan that was recently adopted and turned into MXC, most extreme elimination challenge. in MXC they don't even both translating or anything, they juts use this weird show as a platform for MST3k styled commentary.

quite clever, and quite funny.

and for the record, I think Cowboy bebop is far better dubbed than subtitled, but that's just me probably.

20. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI