I need to listen some salsa and Cuban stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Piedro, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Hello Guys, i would like to listen some good ( more modern ) kind of salsa or latin things. I've listen a couple of more traditionnal recording of salsa Music and i would like to have some advice on what to buy or listen.
    I would like to listen what today's musician make in latin thing..
  2. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Van Van bro - they are amazing.
  3. Anything from Michel Camilo will fill your latin need. Anthony Jackson is on most of them and the albums he isn't on have Lincoln Goines and John Patitucci. How could you go wrong?!
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Hey am a Latin Jazz guru :p are you listen Poncho Sanchez? try one song and tell me how good was your experience :hyper:
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Don't forget Descarga Boricua...

BTW, I hope TB's very own Ruben Rodriguez is able to reply - he's one of the baaaadest and works with the most well known artists today....
  6. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    thanks guys that makes good thing to try... i just remembered that i had Calle 54 in my Dvd collection when Michel camilo played with Anthony Jackson and .. hum the other wonderful drummer that i don't remember the name... so.. i'm gonna try youre suggestion and i'll give you some news
  7. Irakere, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Los Van Van, but out of all of these, Irakere is KING!!!!! Jesus "Chucho" Valdes is the band leader/arranger/pianist/writer, it is very inspiring. If you can check out and album called "Misa Negra."
  8. Check out Jerry Gonzalez and the Fort Apache Band.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anything by The Carribean Jazz Project! Willie Colon, El Gran Combo.............

Bassist Jimmy Haslip has a solo cd called Red Heat that you really need to check out. There's some deep latin grooves on that one!
  10. Manny Patiño is amazing. Oh and he's my guitar teacher's friend and I've been to one of his clinics :) He has a book out, too, called Afro-Cuban Bass Grooves, based on the rhythms with the clave, if you want to check that out.

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    The last posters have covered most of the awesome old-school type bands, ones that have the charanga flute, etc...Los Van Van, Grupo Irakere...etc...

for newer stuff, I like Lefty Perez and Andy Montanez...very poppy salsa, it still has that great salsa bass rythem..but the music is very modern and "pastuerized"

I think Poncho Sanchez is really one of my favorite salsa artists out there.

For old school stuff, Tito Puente rocks!
  12. puerta means door in spanish
  13. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The drummer is Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez and I agree, he is most definitely wonderful! :)
  14. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    We New Yorkers on the Latin scene (at least my generation) listened to the big bands of Machito, Tito Puente & Tito Rodriguez, (Bobby Rodriguez played and recorded w/ all of them) the Cuban Descargas on Panart records feat. Cachao & Julio Gutierrez & smaller ensembles like Eddie Palmieri's La Perfecta and a few others that I can't remember right now .... too early yet! There's also "The Fania All Stars" and their star bassists, Bobby Valentin & Sal Cuevas, the latter, introduced R&B and Funk elements to Latin bass playing. Anything on Fania records before 1983, will most likely feature Sal on bass, for example:
    Willie Colon
    Ray Barretto
    Fania All Stars

and on & on ....

P.S. NJL good looking out!