I need to move my DB across country...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by peteroberts, Jun 4, 2002.

1. I will be moving from ATL to SF soon and am wondering how I will move my DB...all I have is a gig bag and I really don't want to move it in that...I am thinking I will have professional movers move my stuff...I probably need a hard case, but have not seen anyone selling them...suggestions anyone?
    thanks, Pete
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Another thing to consider would be building a plywood container for it - if the goal is for it to be safe, not necessarily light, this might not be very expensive, you could fit it out with the appropriate support under the neck, etc, and even put in some sort of humidity control. I think the thing I would worry about most in a moving truck would be that it would get really hot in the truck and screw up your bass.

Also, I know when I moved my piano across country, the "piano guy" built a custom cradle for it, maybe a luthier or someone bass-knowledgeable would be willing to build you something for a fee. I have to think any of these options would be much cheaper than buying a hard shell case (last seen hovering around $2500 on Lemur)
  3. David Gage sells one that is supposed to be pretty good, but be prepared to shell out at least couple thousand bucks. The String Emporium sell one that may be priced lower.

If this is for a one-time use, you may be able to find someone in ATL from whom you can rent and ship it back. Expensive, but still cheaper than buying one.
  4. I checked the Gage website and you can rent from them! $100/wk.
  5. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    How about renting one in SF to be shipped to you empty and then returning it when you get to SF?

Don't know if they rent but here is a link from (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's page http://www.stringbassshop.com/
  6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Any chance of moving it yourself? That way you know exactly where it is all the time and how it is being treated. Mine goes in the air conditioned car with me and in to the motel at stay overs. No hot trucks, no baggage handling apes.

If you can't do that the hard case or plywood box are real good ideas. I have seen both in use.

Once I did a week long orchestra tour to small towns in Arizona, Utah, California, and Nevada. Five bass' were in gig bags and one in a home made plywood crate in the luggage bay on a Grayhound buss. No problems with any of the bass'. We would back the strings down two or three turns but I'm not sure that was required.

7. rake

May 4, 2004
    Seems like a good thread for this...

What are some concerns about taking a quality hybrid bass from Florida to its new home in Michigan?
    Shipping isn't really an issue, as I would drive down to pick it up.