I need to pick a 1X15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insighted02, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Hey there TBer's,

I need to pick a 1X15 cab to put under my SWR Goliath III at home. The workingman's 1X15 I have under it has been a good cabinet but I need something better. Money isn't an object at the moment......I want to stay under two grand though people.....:D

Here's my setup at the moment:

SWR Workingman's 4004 (400W @4 Ohms {four ohms min. load})

SWR Goliath III 4X10 (8ohms, handles 700W)

I stick to the metal/rock genre and play Ibanez's and Spectors mostly.
    I've always had a weak spot for SWR clarity......:)

Any suggestions?

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you want more deep lows you may want to look at something with a 18" speaker. PA Subs work well for bass and many handle over 1000 watts.
  3. Why not upgrade to the SWR Son of Bertha?Handles 350 watts,has a better 15 in it than your workingman and the same Foster horn as your Goliath.Aguilar has a nice 15 cab also.
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You could try a hartke 1x15 bxl there very good and very clear.
  5. Redneck2wild, Grey beard........

Thanks for your suggestion.

The problem with getting a 18" subwoofer is that the amp that I'm using will only be suppling it with roughly 200W to it. To power that kind of speaker I'm going to need a lot more power; otherwise something that big won't run as tight. Floppy 18? No thanks....

Secondly, It's big, I already own a number of swr cabinets and I can only stuff my car with so much. Although I'm solving this problem soon with a new truck, it's size isn't attractive.

Thirdly, I've always liked the tightness of smaller speakers. A fifteen all I really need to help out my low end at the most. The 4X10 1X15 combo is something I'd like to create. It's test proven.

Do any of you two have good experiences with the Big Ben cabinet (or 18" in general)? Were they overly boomy? How much power did you give them? How much do you think they needed? How bad did they drown out the mids? highs? Why do you think that I should get a 18"?

6. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal

if I were you i'd buy the bery bery beautiful Warwick W-115

like... it's a great cab. (period)

I know that because I simply would love to have one. Tried it and it rules... it also handles very nicle the mid-high freqs.... and so on

the son of bertha it's also quiet good, but I guess it handles more power than I need , and also more than your amp can supply.

p.s.- warwick really rules
    p.s.2- warwick can be very expensive in the US , comparing with the prices I get here in PT :) So maybe you'll need to check on that first...
  7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    The SOB would be my reccomendation as well. A great sounding cab. A little on the heavy side but most 15's will be. BTW, why are you selling your 12 pack? I am using a Silverado (2x12) with a 2x10 and really dig my tone. Did you not like the 12's?

Edit: Sorry, I just read your post more closely. I thought you were using the Goliath III Jr.

But I'd still like your opinion on the 12 pack...
  8. Insighted:

I play metal and use a Spector. I use Eden cabs, a 2x10 and 1x15. They sound great. Dunno how it would mix with the SWR though.
  9. I use a SOB with the Goliath III and think they match up nicely. My .02$
  10. jfiles

jfiles Commercial User

Oct 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    VP Sales & Marketing: Bergantino Audio
    You should definately try the Bergantino HT115. It's quite small and is probably the best sounding 15" cabinet made IMHO.

11. Geezer......

Thanks for your suggestion.

My opinion of the twelve pack is pretty positive. The little 2X12 isn't very big but it does spit out loud ass mids. I think the main reason I'm selling it because It doesn't mesh completely with the setup. It goes last on the list of things that are expendable. I'm still sorta of pondering if I should take the ad off my signature.

My first problem (in no particular order) with it is that (with my goliath III cab) it doesn't mesh with any other cabinets. All my other stuff stacks toghether and I find it difficult find a way to put them toghether. It's not balanced with everything else. I'll never make that miskate again, let this be a lesson to all the youngsters.......order from the same series. It's really a vanity thing more than anything else.

The second problem with the cab is that it takes a lot of power and I don't have that much to dish out. 200W with my current head......the cab takes 400W. I think that to really hear it's true dynamics you have to put that in at least. Even with 200W in it ....it got me to definately wear earplugs. It's midrange is loud.....picture shaking, ear bleeding, plaster falling......loud.
    I'm working on a power amp/ preamp setup that is on hold for now. I'm still looking for another band. I don't think that the twelves took my B string well enough for being inbetween a 10" and 15" speaker.
    I've always liked Tens above everything else. The punchy snap of them is cool.

It's been good, and I'll probably sell my 2X15 first before I sell it. I could always use it in the future and route all three (4X10, 1X15, 2X12) toghther! :D For a while I thought about it and almost pursued it!

But yeah, type me back if you have any questions about it geezer. I'd be happy to answer them.

I can take the weight of most my cabs.......fifteens are actually pretty light compared to my 4X10.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

otnemeM: What does PT stand for in your post?

12. Avatar ? good, cheap, not to honk-y, fairly tight. Its a tad wider (25"H X 25"W X 16.5"D vs SWR: 23"W x 25.25"H x 18.375"D) so it'll fit well. And at 45lbs, its managable.

Not to mention that if you get a black grill'd bottom cab, it accentuates the chrome of the GIII. People have noted the good look of mine (i play a GIII atop my Nemesis 112).

good luck!
  13. The warwick you told me about actually takes more than the SOB.....The SOB puts out 102 db and takes less power. It also has a Foster horn that the warwick lacks.

Thanks for your suggestion......oh, and I got the PT thing. Oddly enough right after I typed my last post....go figure.......:D