Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need to rent, borrow, or steal a Hofner Beatle bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Ok, I have a gig coming up and we're going to do a Beatles song. I want to use a Hofner or Hofner replica, just for this song. Anyone know where I can rent or borrow one in the Kansas City area or elsehere? I've checked eBay, cuz I figure I could buy a used one and sell it back for about the same amount, but I haven't found a used one.

Anyone?

2. Check GC. You might get lucky to find one in the used section. A used one seems to be just as much as a new one because the used ones are usually old. Check some pawn shops or any unheard of music stores. You could go to a last resort, the Epiphone knockoff at GC. Good luck.

3. Sorry I can't help you as I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada. But I can't help but show off a little I have a Vintage Hofner 1964 in almost pristine shape. With all original hardwear and case. Not the best of sound or playablity but one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen. Actually I do the same thing every once and while when we play a Beatle tune I'll use the Hofner and pretend I'm Paul too. Actually I'm looking for a vintage style strap the ones Fender built back in the Hey Day of the sixties. Hope you have luck in finding one near you.

4. The source for the Essex basses that have been talked about so much here also has a very nice Hofner replica with a flame (I would presume fotoflame) finish for only $225. Good looking and pretty authentic. You could probably recoup much of that by selling it after you've used it. Even if you take a $50-$75 bath on the sale price, you are probably ahead of what it would cost to rent one if you could.

Try www.rondomusic.com and follow the links to basses.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Are you playing left handed though? ;)

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    What song you doing, Mark?

7. Rogue has a "Beatle bass" for dirt cheap. Of course it probably sounds like dirt as well. :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, I have read reviews saying it is better than the Epi copy. Of course, you know how those BGRA and HC reviews are.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, Hambone may be onto something. Just looking at the Rondo website makes me file this on my "To get" list. I mean, it looks great and even the headstock is like a Höfner's.

[​IMG]

Besides, since these basses are known to have been cheapos during the time Macca played one, who's to say if this isn't close to the real thing?

C'mon, Mark, take the plunge, then come back and post a review.:)

10. jbucklin

jbucklin

Oct 24, 2001
    I just bought a Hofner '62 reissue---the one that is identical to Paul's---and I am very impresseed with the tone, craftsmanship, and playability of it. The only thing about the copies (Epi, Rogue, etc.) is that they don't use a solid spruce top like the Hofners. Something tells me that that's why the Hofner has such a distinctive sound. I figured it would feedback a lot because of the solid spruce, but so far I've managed to get it up pretty loud without it feeding back. Also, don't let anyone get you to believe that the staple pups on the Hofners are dogs. I think they're GROOVY!

11. I can't help with the original question.

but I have had the luck of playing a vintage hofner... and I love playing those! the sound is awesome! :)

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Rogue copy of a Hofner a few weeks ago (see my thread, "First Impressions of Rogue Violin Bass"), and I love it. It sounds great, looks good, and appears to be very well made. I immediately replaced the roundwounds on it with LaBella Beatle Bass flats, and the sound came alive. I had to adjust the truss rod, and move the bridge a bit for better intonation, and now I love it. I have many basses, but I've been playing this one most recently, although I haven't gigged with it yet. I bought it for $225, and I am totally happy with it (and surprised at its quality).

13. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  14. Wow, thanks for all the replies!

We're playing We Can Work It Out. This is my church gig; my church is so cool. We're always stretching to find "secular" music that ties in with what we're talking about. From the Barenaked Ladies to the Stones to the Beatles, we've done it all!

I've seen the Rogues, as I have a Musician's Friend distribution center here in my town, that opens up the the public for Scratch and Dent items. My preference is still to buy a used one so I can sell it back for about what I paid, but I might have to take somewhat of a loss. My plan is to hide the bass on stage until we do that song, and then pull it out. Our music director will probably fall off the stage in a comedic trance. I think I'll wear a suit and a white shirt too, what do you think?

Who knows, I might like the axe so much I'll keep it. Then we could do Les Claypool tunes too!

Mark

15. If yer gonna wear a suit,Mark, then go all the way -get a VOX amp, a bad haircut and do what Strudelbass says - play left-handed!;)

16. actually, i love my rouge. you should just buy one and plan on keeping it.

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    There was (maybe still is) a Johnson Beatle bass copy at the local shop. I noodled around on it for a couple brief minutes, unplugged, and it seemed pretty good. Solid construction, decent unplugged tone, although it was wearing some D'addario nickel's that had been cut down to use on the short scale. I'd like to try it with some flats that were meant for a short scale.

18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, let's wait 40 years and see if people are paying 20 times the original price for one of these cheapos before we make that judgment.

I think the basic flaw in the original poster's premise is that he will re- sell the bass. My prediction is that if he gets a good Hofner, puts the right flats on and has it set up, he'll fall deeply in love and never sell it for the rest of his life. Put black tapewounds and you can forget about it, it's yours forever.

By the way, wasn't "We Can Work It Out" recorded on Paul's Rickenbacker?

19. I don't think that it matters to him; the hofner will make an impact that a Rick wouldn't when it comes to people's recognition of the "McCartney" look.;)