Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need to rent The Taxi Driver..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..as today I got a letter I've been waiting for. I've been selected to enter the next three-week cab driver course, starting next tues!

This is the only way you can get a taxi licence around here, and there should be plenty of open positions around for licenced drivers. So wish me luck!

Fortunately most of the cabs around here are fairly new and of good quality - 2-3 year old Mercedes' and VW's are a usual sight at the taxi stops. Also the driver security is decent, with GPS positioning and security cameras.

Oh, and if anyone has done this job in the past, feel free to give some advice to a newcomer ;)

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Taxi Driver will teach you how to be a total psychopath...now you just need to learn to drive like one too.;)

3. You get selected to be a taxi driver!?!? That's crazy! I see you live in Finland, so I guess things are totally different overthere. I like in NY and around here anyone over a certain age (which varies depending on the cab company) can drive a cab, which is bad. Our taxis are nothing but old Chevy Caprices and Ford Crown Victorias, they're all old and beat up and uncomfortable, and they'll let any psychotic drunk drive it. I hate NY taxis.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ahh... Taxi Driver is a great movie.

I rented it the weekend I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Get that and DC Cab. Mr. T at his finest.

6. Whatever you do, do NOT rent "Taxi" with Jimmy Fallon. Worst movie I've seen all year. Travis Bickle rules!

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now that you mention it, there's also a french movie (or actually two or three) called "Taxi" where the hero is a taxi driver who speeds. A lot. :confused: In the later parts, he even has some superhero-esque gadgets in his car, like rear fin that pops out.

And yeah, around here you have to go through a selection process - which mainly includes a background check with police and a short interview to know if you're suitable for the job, though.

After that, it's a 3-week course on weeknights to go through traffic safety, customer service, all the gadgets you have in the car like navigation and data systems and general local knowledge, after which there's a couple of exams to pass to get your licence. It's a bit extreme, but then again taxi rates are pretty expensive around here too - for the price you should get a trained professional, too.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ^OMG that's good!

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ha! They need to put probably 9 out of 10 taxi drivers around here through that course. Barely any of them speak comprehensible english to boot. :meh:

And now for a Taxi Driver quote:

10. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Mercedes cabs in Finland? Nice ...

Definitely rent Taxi Driver, that should be required watching. :D

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A lot of those are actually recycled police cars. There are companies that buy them from police departments after a couple years of service (the cars already have heavy duty suspension, cooling, etc.,) and refurbish them for taxi use.