1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need to say this about the Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, May 17, 2011.

1. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA 90066
    I just need to say something.

I have three basses.

A MusicMan Sterling, a Lakland Decade and a Fender P Bass.

I usually rotate through them every few weeks and enjoy them all very much.

BUT ,only one has the ability to surprise and excite me
    every time I come back to it after not playing it for a while.

My P Bass.

I'm not even sure why.

But without fail I find myself just giddy when I hit that first perfect P Bass sounding note after
    being away from it.

The tone is everything I've loved about bass since I was a kid.

I never fiddle with the sound on my amp when I play my P Bass.

It sounds good no matter what the settings.

It even sounds good in spite of any sound problems a particular room might present at a gig.

I notice that I get less sound tweeking attention from the sound guys when I bring my P Bass.

When I ask about my level or tone the answer is always "fine".

But I realize that the answer is really "perfect".

Yes....perfect.

Every time.

Now go love on your P Basses people.

2. I think its own limit to control the tone is working nicely

to make the player to concentrate on the play.

I have a '51 P bass with a duncan pickup

and when I play it, I just decide the tone pot adjustment and stick with it.

And also, if I use a Fender, people just like it. :D

3. I've got a fretless '78 P. I bought it because I saw it and I had to have it. I didn't even use it at first. Now it is my regular bass for jazz gigs where an upright won't fit. But I can see it becoming the only bass I use even with my regular band, in which I normally use a J and an upright. The fretless P could replace both of those. Well, not really replace them. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be better in some ways. (Like one bass not two, and funkier.)

4. I have been playing for about ten years now and have owned several basses of varying styles. For me the p-bass represents a return to the "pure." This thread makes me want to watch Standing in the Shadows of Motown again.

5. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    Yes indeed. Simply delicious if I do say so myself.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i miss my '78, but i know where it is. (i should buy it back)

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yep. My '69 P is pretty solid. It's never a struggle getting a good tone out of it. Be it clean, distorted, picked, plucked, or slapped.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Like you I like to rotate basses.
    I use a Jazz, 1962 P-bass and a 1955 P-bass, fretless 1970 P-Bass.
    I could play any one for a gig and get away with it.
    But a 1960's P-Bass is home to me.
    Me desert island bass.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I could happily have a P-bass and a decent amp and be perfectly content forever with nothing else. In fact, I have been in that situation before for years at a time, even when I was gigging most heavily.

On edit: I will say that in the 30+ years I've been playing, I have owned plenty of other basses. But nothing that ever surpassed a good example of a P. For me, that is.

10. You have reached bass enlightenment. ;)

11. I must say I was a "Jazz Bass Man" until just the other week when I received my first P -an MIM Standard, 2002, and I'm very impressed! I'll get around to posting a photo when I work out how and maybe I'll be able to join the fender Precision club. Happy P playing everyone!

12. oh-look-its-this-thread-again.

Then again, I suppose we were a bit overdue for another "I love my P bass!" thread. My only advice is that you try not to jizz all over it while playing, that might hurt the market value when you sell it as 'vintage' 40 years from now :p :D.

13. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    +1
    I just got my first real Fender P today. I have had a Lakland P5 since February, but it's a different vibe, being a 5er.
    I grew up playing a jazz bass, so that's the sound that instinctively I search in my head, it's the default bass sound to me.
    But as I evolved as a player and as a music lover, I decided I had to give the P a shot.
    It's an Am Std 2008. I gotta say it's a great bass. I put flats on it, to try to get that old school thump.
    One word: awesome.

14. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    i must say im taking strain with my p bass, i had prac yesterday and the tone is just woody and very midrange... i was not liking it at all...its a MIJ p bass..

i had to turn the mids almost off on the amp...i use a ashdown, 2x10 and a 15

do u guys like that tone or dus my bass just suck??? lol

maybe a pickup chnage?? pot change??

15. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Yes its this thread again and at 3:15 am EST. I have 3 P Basses that prefer to remain anonymous. See you later....:cool:

16. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Exactly this, despite only have one "option", so to speak, it just works no matter what style.

A bit off topic: I have a Squier VM P with Duncan Designed pickup, and I'm very pleased about it, but I'm curious about the SD Quarter Pounder. Would it make much difference?

17. MelodiousThump

MelodiousThump

Jul 4, 2006
    I've got a fretless Jazz and a 5-string fretted Precision. The jazz sounds better for jazz, acoustic & Americana stuff. The P is the go-to bass for any dance band gigs.
    I could use the P for all of these styles, but not the other way around.
    I think the Precision would be more than adequate for any style of music.
    Your mileage may vary.

18. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Glad you like it so much :) Enjoy.

I want to be the exact opposite of surprised when I pick up a bass... I want it to feel just like home again, as reliable and sure as anything. That's how I can just concentrate on playing. I'm finding that with my Peavey.

19. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    It was only a Precision but it was the nicest bass I ever came across.

ba-dum-ching

Thank you! Tip your waitress and designate a driver! I'll be here all week! *bows*

20. LOL! I approve of this pun.