1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need to talk about/get advice on my basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm also going to post a topic in the amps section to go through my requirements there, so this will just be about my basses.

Currently I have six bass guitars, which is far too many for me. I've already decided that I'm going to sell three of them (and which three, but at least one more needs to go) so I'll leave those out of the equation and just talk about my three precisions.

Now, I have to say first and foremost that I'm not a talented bassist, can't read notation, don't know much theory etc and am not very creative. I play covers, quite badly.

I'm in a band that doesn't seem to be doing much lately, one gig so far this year and nothing booked until May.

I need the cash badly which, besides the clutter, is my main reason for moving things on.

So on to the basses - I've narrowed it down to my Squier CV in red with flats, Squier matt freeman with rounds and Fender MIA P with rounds. At least one must go.

I love the Fender, but in all honesty, I'm not sure that I love it more than the Squiers. Those CV's are damn nice basses. For a rubbish bassist, Squier CV's are quite sufficient, right? But every time I try to sell the fender I chicken out :( don't even know why.

If you guys were me which bass(es) would you keep and why? What do I really NEED in my situation?

2. I was under the impression that the Matt Freeman bass was the same as the CV. That said, the Matt Freeman would be the one I would get rid of. That is, unless you like it more than the CV. If that be the case, sell the CV.

3. simple. Keep whatever sounds and suits you best.

Forget about the status, it boils down to how it performs.
    I had a few really nice basses, but kept only what I like/use the most.

Besides, selling off the fender should put more $ in your pocket, if that's the main motivation anyway.

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    You know, when I bought the fender I decided that was THE bass I would keep forever. But the cv and the freeman have a veeeerry slightly slimmer neck and it makes a huge difference to how they feel. Maybe that sounds stupid.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I would try the flats on the MIA and see if you like it compared to the CV. Then sell the freeman!

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I have tried - the flats on the MIA feel a lot different to the exact same set when they're on the cv. Difference in fingerboard material perhaps. But, I prefer my well-used Elixirs on the MIA.

7. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I try to only own one bass at a time since it's only a hobby for me, and the money really needs to go other expenses at this point. However, I would rather own one really nice bass rather than six or even three middle of the road basses. I would keep the MIA and sell the other five if money really is an issue. While I agree that the Squiers are really nice, I would think that getting rid of the MIA would result in seller's remorse. You might find yourself playing more and worrying about gear less. Easy said than done though.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I'd kill the Freeman first, then (if needed) worry about which of the two remaining basses to sell. Frankly, the MIA is better built with better components, but the CV is so darned good that it completely belies it's sub $400 price tag. I kick myself quite often for selling my CV, and I've got an MIA...

9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I can't advise you as to which bass to sell, yet I empathize with your reluctance to single one out. After all, you chose them and set them up to your liking. Keeping the MIA seems like the default, but the best advice has been said: pick the one you like least and cull it from the herd.

I think a new term is called for here. Many of us experience GAS or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Believe me, I know about that.

Then there's its converse: Gear Excess Retention Disease or GERD. You and I seem to have that too! :help:

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I downsized some too recently, sold an SX and an ABG to get down to just the pair of 5ers I actually gig with. Happy with the decision... though I can't help thinking what I want to get next.

My vote would be that the two Squiers seem redundant. I would sell one or the other of them. The thing about a higher-end bass like the MIA is that you may not REALLY like it better than the Squiers, but once you don't have it you're going to have this nagging feeling that you "ought" to have a higher-end bass, and sooner or later you'll break down and buy another one. So it will cost you more in the long run. If you've already got one Squier I doubt you'll have the same urge to go buy another, or at least not as strong.