Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need to tell someone..... Oh god how I hate H.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BrettAM, Mar 26, 2003.

1. 3:33 AM. Tuesday, March 25th. I watched an old friend take his last breath after shooting approximately three times a human being's lethal limit of heroin. Paul shot up around 7:15 the night before, I was able to take care of him with three other guys until the ambulance arrived, at which point he was in a kind of catatonic state.

I am quite sure it was a suicide, his wife had left him the week before and he was severely depressed. Most of his close friends knew of his heroin problem and we were trying to keep an eye on him as often as possible to make sure he didn't try anything. Unfortunately we failed and he found his hook up while we weren't looking. He knew what he was doing-Paul was a junkie but he was not an idiot, he knew what he could handle "safely".

I'm having a hell of a time handling this one.... this is the second time I've lost a friend to H. and with my friendships crumbling around me I've only really had my girlfriend (who has been wonderful) to talk to about this. I'm very reluctant to tell my parents as the last time this happened I told them and they made it a lot worse for me.... I just really needed to talk to some people....

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

The sounds like some hard stuff to deal with. I think you should talk to a school counselor. They will keep confidential unless they think you are in danger. That would be the best thing you can do.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Hey man losing a friend is a terrible thing to go through. When I was a freshman in high school the goalie on my hockey team got a heart transplant, but a couple months after the operation he died of complications. I, along with the rest of the team, just felt dejected for a while afterwards. For me it helped to get out and do things instead of just sitting around and sulking. Last semester a friend of mine who I went to high school with and also had some classes with here at college was killed in a car crash. I wasn't that close of a friend, but it still sucked. You'll always feel the pain, but things will get better over time. If it's any consolation, you can rest assured that the talkbass community is here for you.

4. I agree with Odie. Talk to your counselor. And listen to the advice you'll get here. From what I've seen, most of it will be sound advice.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    good advice...please do that and talk to someone that can help out. that's a lot to deal with.

6. ditto (also sorry about your loss)

7. OK now I'm really hurt... I just talked to two of my "friends", whom decided that a good way to help me through this would be to tell me to "get away from these people, they're f***ed up"....

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't know about school counselors, (a lot them at my high school weren't very good at all) but do talk to someone that you trust. Maybe you have some more sympathetic relatives (older cousins perhaps?) who could help you or maybe your doctor (who legally can't blab to your folks I don't think) can recommend someone. Don't be alone though, don't bottle it up... Heck, if you trust anyone in particular on this board maybe you could PM them. There are others here who I believe have had somewhat similar experiences and might understand...

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I hate to sound cold, but not allowing yourself to be put into these situations is the best prevention.
    Please do talk to a counselor or someone who is trained to help you through times like this. It will help.
    I really am sorry for your loss. I lost a friend in high school to drugs, and it really is one of the worst pains I believe possible. To lose 2, I can't even imagine the hurt you feel.
    Please talk to someone that can help you cope. Again, I'm sorry.

10. you did not fail hon. it sounds like all of you tried to be there for your friend. no matter how hard you try, if someone wants to do that, they will find a way. never feel like you failed. you did not.
    you do need to talk to someone you trust. someone who will hear you out. and well, not to be callous, however, it does seem you do need to find a new crowd to be with. this seems to be to painful.
    i love my boyfriend when i was 17 to a drunk driver. that was horrendous. he was walking home from my house and was hit. it is a pain undescribeable. you really need to talk to someone about what you are feeling. someone qualified. we can support you, however, you need someone near you to help you deal with this.
    keep your chin up hon. :(