I need two recommendations for amp and preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I've been using a a 70's V4B head that weighs 70lbs or so. Great stuff, but I need something a bit lighter and more power. I'm going to start a new rack to power an Eden 210XLT and a 112XLT. So I need about a 600-700RMS@4ohm bridged power amp. I don't even really know where to begin looking. I also need a decent preamp. I really want a low-mid smooth growly sound. I'm not sure how possible that is with my Rick 4003. I was thinking an Ampeg SVP-Pro. I want something I can DI to a PA system too. I'm trying not to break bank here so keep it all under about $1000 or so. I might try to buy stuff used. Any recommendations?
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  3. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Whats the deal with the Ashdown preamp? I never really thought about them. Not too many reviews on it either. That I can find anyways.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Ashdown is pretty tough to find. They are also a little delicate from what I've heard. Nice tone though...

Far as power goes I'm running a Crown CE1000 and it's a workhorse. 275/side into 8, 450 / side into 4, 900 & 1100 bridged into 8 or 4 respectively. Strong amp. Not the lightest but not that bad either. The QSC PLX is a pretty obvious choice for powerful and low weight power as well.

To my ear, Ampeg's pre's sound nothing like a V4B. I've owned one of those and it's a different kettle of fish entirely. If 'grind' is part of what you're looking for then maybe you can get that out of one of the Ampeg's.

I'm hooked on the Demeter 201s as being very clear and transparent. The tone stack takes a while to get used to but when you do, it makes it tough to get happy with anything more colored... The 201s has a great DI and also an effects loop with front panel adjustable send & return.

I run an ART Tube Channel there for additional EQ options as well as the compressor (set as limiter). I have kind of dinked about with it for a bit of overdrive and bass boost as well. that leads me to think that you could drop a Sansamp RBI into the loop and use it for grind when necessary.

By itself the Demeter is a hi-fi pre and dosn't exhibit anything in the way of grind at least with the tube set I'm running.

An Alembic F2B or F1X would be interesting choices as well.

You should be able to put something like that together by picking a coupld of used pieces out of the GFS eithere here or at the pit.
  5. Alembic F-1X> Crest CA series amp> Eden speakers. Trust me, your Ric will love it...mine does. ;)

6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    For the power your looking for...

QSC RMX850
    Stewart World Series 600

850Watts and 600Watts respectively... both affordable. The biggest differencial is size. The RMX is about 40lbs, and the Stewart is a mere 10lbs. :eek: Also, the Stewart does not have a loaded fan... which is kind of a downer.

I'd get the RMX, or maybe a Crest if you wanted a spend a little more.