i need used car opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by and_Justice, Jun 2, 2004.

1. and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    Hello all! I am buying a used car and need some opinions. First of all my price range is $6000-$10,000Cdn ($4400-$7400US). I would like to buy GM because i can get cheap parts. I dont really like Civics and such, but nothing is out of the question. Im after a midsized sedan or coupe, late 90's and reliable, but performance is also a concern! Need a college car for 4 years, but got some cash to spend.

Please use pros and cons.

Examples of what ive looked at thus far:

1995+ Grand AM/Grand Prix
    1995+ Monte Carlo
    1995+ Avenger
    1995+ Neons
    1995+ Buick Regals

Please help!
  2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I'd personally stay away from anything ford and chrysler... GM is not too bad... my bros bonaville ran for 230k mi still runs too so if you want family car that buick is prity cool machine... it has same engine as bonaville (3800 (3.8)) runs prity good:] 3.8's are solid imo (to bad they are v6... i like i6's :] )
    Grand AM/Grand Prix, Monte Carlo not too bad... i think 3.8 is better:]

About Chrysler... i worked in car shop... I wouldent want ford/chrysler/Benz/KIA and other crap... brake down alot...

Honda's are good Toyotas are not bad nissan are allright:] i used to own nissan 200sx (88) old hatch... pushed it sooo hard... 8k rpm no prob.. it handled it:]

Perosnally 5speed and rwd is a must:]
    I personally like bmw's myself... 535i rocks your world!

They are about the same to fix as Japanese cars yet they are solid... i see 535i sold with 300k mi on em all the time... everything origenal:] i dono about newer ones but 3.5 are insanely good... asked a guy in junk yard how long 3.5 goes for he went "no one knows cuz they still dont brake down" :]

Hope this helps:] ignore the BMW comment cuz thats just my personal love or fatish/insanity call it what you will

Not my but dont u love those! :]

3. I second this. I've never heard anybody complain about a late-90's model Camry.
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ya, besides being small:] i dont fit in them:(

5. rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    I second the buick recommendation. Anything with that 3800 engine will last, but the transmission will probably have problems around 150k-200k miles. I would stay away from gm cars with the smaller chevrolet produced v6, I think it is 3.0 litre or somesuch. I think that the 3800mkII is the best american engine currently produced, bar none.
  6. I drive a 1998 Camry. Perfect car. Good for these near-gas crisis times, 32 mpg.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    According to Consumer Reports here are some "Used Cars to Avoid" from your list. These are cars that "that were below average in reliability.":

Grand Am ’96-97, ’99-01
    Grand Prix ’97-98
    Neon ’96-00

The Neon made their "Repeat Offenders list" about which they say "Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability."

The only cars in their list that made the "Reliable Used Cars" list was:

Regal ’99

NOw, here's their list of cars that they claim showed "Better than average reliability" in the price ranges up to $8000:

Consumer Reports is just another source, and shouldn't be the final word but they don't accept advertising money and they do extensive testing plus surveys of car owners. Hope that helps some.

brad cook