Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need you Roscoe's guys!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Here's the situation:
    1)
    Next monday I should sell my Laurus fretless to a guy here in italy.
    2)
    As Michael Tobias via e-mail told me,
    my all Walnut 1991 Tobias Classic 5 would be a great fretless...may be better fretless,than fretted.
    So I think to de-fret it,to replace my Laurus.

3)I need a modern 5 fretted:
    since I play the Jazz'78 and the fretless almost exclusivly,I haven't many pregjudice...a Ken Smith would be cool to my as an MTD,just to give you the idea.
    Now:there are a couple of Roscoes LG 5 fretted at BassCentral,that are brand new,but speccially priced...something like $1600.
    My hart say:go for it.....it's a bargain and I haven't many prejudice....I simply need a modern hi-end 5 fretted that plays great

but my mind says:it's a big risk,since I haven't tryed a Roscoe ever....that's the big problem...Roscoes doesn't exist here in Italy.

My friend Gard,says it's a very,very,very great bass with an amazing B string..

Roscoe guys:TRY to give me an idea about Roscoe's sound,playability,etc...please!!!I know it's tough to do it,but try...I need You!!!
    ;)

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I can definately and whole heartedly agree with Gard. The fit and finsih is top of line. The b-string is challenged by almost no other bass(especially in its price range). I can't comment on the playability of the LGs or a 5 string, buuut, i have a SKB 6 string and i must say that the playability might be the high point of the bass. It plays silky smooove:D I wouldn't say it plays itself, but it gives you just enough hassle so that you feel proud after ripping off cool riffs.

The sound is very full and clear. It was far more musical than i expected. The low end is like thunder, I don't want to comment on the mids cause i think my 15" combo amp is holding them back, and the highs are sweeeeet, never harsh. (mind you, my combo is disgusting at even mid volume, i just found out recently my little cousin had spilled pepsi into it, and the roscoe still sounds good!)

I say go for it bro, I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed in it in any way.:D

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Oh my God,
    an italian bassist who happens to play Roscoes says to me on an italian forum:
    "great lows,mid-lows,something like a compressed sound....but almost forget a Jaco-like sound"

This would be terrible,but I can't figure out how it could be possible...
    what can you tell me about this???

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think he's saying that you can forget having a Jaco sound. These Roscoe's are the steroid fed big brothers of the P bass. Jaco fans need not apply.

They are big, have mucho guts and booty, and generally rock hard.

Which is why I need an SKB3007!

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    .....if they haven't a Jaco sound,they are not for me then:(
    But it's seem so strange to me that such a bass is not good for a Jaco-style sound:
    since to have a Jaco-like sound a good bridge P.up and good fingers should be enough...
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Odd...usually, the Jaco sound is described as a Jazz bridge pup solo'd w/ a bit of treble boost.

7. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    ...no maters if the bridge p-up is a jazz,or a soap-bar,etc...
    I have good jaco-like sounds with diferent bridge p-ups.

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Well if you want a jaco type sound i suggest you go for a jazz bass NOT a roscoe. The roscoe can do a jaco-ish tone, but if that's the main tone you want i suggest you stay away from them. 'zero' so to speak, with a roscoe is about as far from a jaco type tone as it gets. Would you agree brendan?

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would concur. They can cop a Jaco-like tone, but it's not really that suited to the instrument. It's a more P-bass type sound.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've had 3 LG3005's and I think they are a bit more pbass than jbass. Great B string, great construction, wonderful necks, easy to setup. Jaco tone? I'd say buy a jazz bass

Rob

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say "I haven't found any sounds that I couldn't dial in on my Roscoe's via the on board 3-band pre-amp or varing my picking/plucking/muting technique". I think the bridge P/U with the Mid boost hot produces an excellent jaco type tone. I don't think that it's neccesarily the best tone a Roscoe can produce but I do really like it. I'm waiting on my 3rd Roscoe (a fretless) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Roscoe to anyone. They are in my opinion the best playing & sounding basses out there! One things for sure, if you get one at $1,600 and you don't like it, you can resell it easily for that price.:)

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I tried out a few Roscoe 5's on a short excursion to BassCentral. Very nice basses. Great feel and great prices currently. Call Gard.;)

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey there Rick! Good seein' ya today, glad you could make it by.

:D

OK, time to set a few things straight:

The basses that Amoilbasso is considering are "NOS" Roscoes, they're new, but made from older parts - this is why they're priced so low. They are not going for $1600, they're selling for $1699.

For the tone thing - you can't get and EXACT "Jaco tone", but you can get darn close! I think you can cover just about any tone you like with these basses. You may have to play with the settings for a while, but it's in there somewhere.

It is NOT a one trick pony! :D

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have to agree with Gard- they are versatile basses- i keep hearing the P bass comparison and indeed it has a great P type sound- but thats when its panned all the way to the neck pup- i find they offer a lot of snarl on the brdge pickup- the finger sounds rule- if anything - it may not be everyones slap sound- tigher more reminiscent of an MM than a J bass- but its a gret bass nonetheless- and the lo b's are ridiculous-
    i would go ahead and get one at that price from bass central- and Gard- wo called me an evil crack dealer- but i'll get him back;)
    now, if you want one with an unreal top... eh, nevermind...:D

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thasnl you guy for your many replies!

I think I have to clear up some things about the Jacoish tone:
    when I say I need that tone,I mean that I don't want the EXACT jaco's tone....I have my'78 Jazz for it..
    When I say I need a Jaco-like tone,I mean something like the one I get with the bridge p-up of my Tobias Classic.
    Now my question to you is:could I get a sound with the Roscoe's bridge p-up similar to the Tobias's bridge p-up????If so,I would have what I need.
    Thanks guys!!!
    Let me know....please!

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yo Adrian!! (I feel like Rocky :eek: :p)

Thanks for chippin' in, us Rosoce-philes gotta stick together.

Amoilbasso - I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get the Roscoe, that bridge pickup "snarl" that Adrian referred to will probably do exactly what you want. Of course, there are plenty of other great choices...but the Roscoe is definetly high on the list of basses I'd recommend

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    As I previously stated, IMO the Roscoe with the 3-band EQ gets a great Jaco-like tone. I owned an 89' Tobias Basic with the 2-band Bart Pre-amp and the Roscoe blew it a way. I'm sure that the Tobias would sound better with the 3-band pre-amp but the B string on the Tobias couldn't hold a candle to the Roscoe and overall sustain was much less on the Tobias (and the Tobias wasn't made by Gibson; it was the real deal).
    I'm not sure which specific parts the NOS applies to (see Gard's previous comment) but my first Roscoe had the Wilkerson Bridge and Gotoh tuners and they functioned and sounded great! I still have a Wilkerson Bridge on my Warmoth/Moses Jazz bass and that same bass has Gotoh tuners. Not much else has changed (on Roscoes) over the last 10 years. I would ask Gard which pre-amp the basses have. You definetely want the 3-band w/Mid push-pull (if it doesn't have it Keith would probably upgrade it for a fair price). Bottom line: at $1600-1700 if you don't like it (and I think you would), you could resale it for that.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hey Joe (...now I feel like Jimi Hendrix! :eek: )

The bass has all the standard parts that Keith is using now: Gotoh tuners, Hipshot "A" style bridge. It also has the newer 3-band EQ with the 2-position mid switch.