Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your advice on bass amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coda, Oct 23, 2005.

1. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    Hey gang. I recently returned to bass playing after a 25 year vacation. Back then you could play a Fender bass, or a Fender bass as that's all there really was. As far as amps. you again had Fender amp. and a new company named Pevey(hope I spelled that right). I played a Pevey 2x15 with a 600 watt head for many years through my stead fast P-bass. Now, the market has grown in so many areas, I really am confused. So I turn here, where the pros hang out for your input. I need an amp./speaker set-up that can play small clubs, but work as a pratice amp. I play some slap and funk so it needs to be able to run up high when called upon. I play a fretless at times so it would also need that true tone on certain songs. An amp/speaker set-up with all the bells would be great, like bi-amp, compressor, loops etc. Or should I go the to add ons for these areas and stick with a solid amp. I looked at the Carvin amps, which seem ok for the money, but again I really need to be pointed in the right direction. My budget is about two grand. Rack systems with compoinets also look attractive. Thanks again for your comments.... :hyper:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, you have quite a few options in the $2000 category. If you like a rack setup, I'd say head over to www.basstasters.com and pick out your favorite preamp, then pair it up with a Crest CA9. If you buy used, you should still have enough left over for some killer cabs. For a smaller gigs plus practicing (but still enough ability to do larger gigs), you again have many options, but to get things going, how about we try either a Bergantino Mini Stack (HT112/EX112) or two EA Wizzy's.

Tom.

3. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    thanks for your reply Tom, I will certainly check out the items you suggested. thanks again... :bassist:

4. Are you still planning on playing a P Bass, and are you still going after that 2x15" sound? That will have a large impact on what we all recommend.

5. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    Okay, that's a great point. I play the p-bass, a Cort slap bass a fretless and a Spector all 4-stringers. I never cared much for the 2x15 sound, very deep and low. I need some 12s with a horn type of set up am thinking. Perhaps a few 12s with a horn and a single 15. I guess what am saying is am looking to play in the midrange area this time around. Thank again. Hope that helps....