1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need your advice on bass amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coda, Oct 23, 2005.

1. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    Hey gang. I recently returned to bass playing after a 25 year vacation. Back then you could play a Fender bass, or a Fender bass as that's all there really was. As far as amps. you again had Fender amp. and a new company named Pevey(hope I spelled that right). I played a Pevey 2x15 with a 600 watt head for many years through my stead fast P-bass. Now, the market has grown in so many areas, I really am confused. So I turn here, where the pros hang out for your input. I need an amp./speaker set-up that can play small clubs, but work as a pratice amp. I play some slap and funk so it needs to be able to run up high when called upon. I play a fretless at times so it would also need that true tone on certain songs. An amp/speaker set-up with all the bells would be great, like bi-amp, compressor, loops etc. Or should I go the to add ons for these areas and stick with a solid amp. I looked at the Carvin amps, which seem ok for the money, but again I really need to be pointed in the right direction. My budget is about two grand. Rack systems with compoinets also look attractive. Thanks again for your comments.... :hyper:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, you have quite a few options in the $2000 category. If you like a rack setup, I'd say head over to www.basstasters.com and pick out your favorite preamp, then pair it up with a Crest CA9. If you buy used, you should still have enough left over for some killer cabs. For a smaller gigs plus practicing (but still enough ability to do larger gigs), you again have many options, but to get things going, how about we try either a Bergantino Mini Stack (HT112/EX112) or two EA Wizzy's.

Tom.

3. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    thanks for your reply Tom, I will certainly check out the items you suggested. thanks again... :bassist:

4. Are you still planning on playing a P Bass, and are you still going after that 2x15" sound? That will have a large impact on what we all recommend.

5. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Riverside, Calif.
    Okay, that's a great point. I play the p-bass, a Cort slap bass a fretless and a Spector all 4-stringers. I never cared much for the 2x15 sound, very deep and low. I need some 12s with a horn type of set up am thinking. Perhaps a few 12s with a horn and a single 15. I guess what am saying is am looking to play in the midrange area this time around. Thank again. Hope that helps....