1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Need Your Advice.....So I Can Pooh Pooh It

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BurnOut, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Another entertaining variety of thread is when someone asks for advice, but please not to offer solution X or Y, because they’ve already been considered and found wanting. The two first answers will always advocate solution X and Y, respectively. :)

Flooflox, BurnOut, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  2. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    I'll set you up-TONEWOOD- you have to use either ash or mahogony.

BurnOut likes this.
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    No! This is just sooooooo wrong! I've seen better threads hanging off a hobo's coat-tail. Pre-CBS threads are the only game in town...

BurnOut likes this.
  4. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I don't mind if they "pooh pooh" my suggestion after asking for my advice, but if they "pooh pooh pooh" and then add "kinahorah" I am outta there.

BurnOut and Dasgre0g like this.
  5. Definitely no money to be had above the 5th fret...so forget about it, better still, don't even look in that general direction of the neck.

hintz, BurnOut, cool breeze and 2 others like this.
  6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    so true....

too many folks post a question wanting one very specific answer and don't want to accept that what they wanted is not to be, or that perhaps they're wrong.

at the end of the day TB generally provides good advice. we all may have our own opinions (like the occasional fool who does not prefer tort) and the best "advice" is to go out and learn / try things yourself, but taking the advice of the community can save you a lot of headaches - no matter what type of advice you are looking for (gear, band management, gigs, careers in music, reading, and so on)

Flooflox and BurnOut like this.
  7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    ...along with two pages of pics...

8. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Fretless basses with lines are for losers....my fretless has lines, so I play facing away from the audience, so other fretless bass players won't criticize me ... but it's dark facing away from the stage lighting, so I can't see the lines...so my intonation sucks......which is why I always, always use TI flats!

BurnOut, Dasgre0g, IamGroot and 2 others like this.
  9. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    That 4ohm rating on a head/cab is just a suggestion. Most head/cabs can go as low as 0.00001ohms or as high as 1.21 jigawatts

BurnOut, Dasgre0g and mikewalker like this.
  10. I believe that is known as "The Stranger"

p-lo, rohi, BurtMacklinFBI and 6 others like this.
  11. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Don't worry about dragging a bunch of extra stuff to a gig. Drummers and guitarist never forget anything

rohi, BurnOut and mikewalker like this.
  12. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    Help me by a pair of socks.

13. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Sell all your gear. It's crap!

mikewalker, BurnOut and Dasgre0g like this.
  14. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i keep asking people to tell me which squire i should buy and they tell me to buy some other bass company knock-off called "squier" which one is better?

BurnOut and cool breeze like this.
  15. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    I wanna buy a $400 compressor to "fatten up" the 5th string on my $125 bass.

Any suggestions???

IamGroot, hintz, BurnOut and 3 others like this.
  16. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    I'm running into four 18" speakers but it sounds poofy and I'm not getting that "punchy" sound I want. What pedals should I buy to fix that?

hintz and BurnOut like this.
  17. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Pshhh. I don’t need any of those fancy amps or effects.
    My tone is all in my hands man. Even after I lost most of my fingers in a tragic toilet paper dispenser accident.

18. megarat

megarat (Not My Real Name) Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    Don't eat rocks.

BurnOut likes this.
  19. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I know you want an acoustic bass but this bass is BETTER than what you want to buy because I said so (big pic attached of my pride & joy that is irrelevant to the OP).
    DSCN0703[1].JPG

20. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    My all-time favorite thread was the dude who asked something about his Markbass amp. Before getting any responses, he accused prospective responders of being "too gothic" and asked that the thread be closed.