1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need your advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kelleysdad, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    I have a band that has been together in the current form for 5 years. We are all three crusty veterans of the stage and limit our gigs to about 1 per month.When we started this thing, the drummer and I were very close, our wives friends, etc. in the last year we have drifted, which is OK. At this point I have to say that the drummer was brought in more for his personality than his talent. Well, in the last 6 months drummer#1 has taken on other social activities and has had to miss a few gigs. I brought in a guy who I knew was good, has a great personality and was working in another group. Last week we played another gig with drummer#2 and he is so good, I was totally jazzed. I also found out he no longer works with the other band. Where this gets messy is, when we started this thing, drummer#1 told me stories of how he was ousted by another group and how he never got over it.I told him that didn't seem fair and indicated I would not do that to him. Now I dread his return and how he slips into a cha-cha beat on almost everything.(No lie!)
    I promised myself I would post this and make a decision based on fellow TBers opinions.

Thanks!!

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I would say the decision rides entirely on how seriously you take this gig. If you're playing for fun, who cares? If you're trying to get better and take on more gigs and make more of a living doing it, then you should re-evaluate how you're going to get there.

3. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Start a new band with drummer #2.

Keep the old band in current form.

4. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    Drummer #1 is missing gigs? Has he lost interest? You might be doing him a favor by ousting him. I would talk to him and see where his interests lie. Do you both still have the same goals?

Can you call the band when drummer #2 is playing by a different name and promote it and not the band with drummer #1?

5. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    This group is more for fun than money, but the money dosen't suck either. The 2 band idea is good, but I really don't have time for both (Day job, Wife, etc.)

6. I've sure been guilty of misspellings here, and I've been called on it... but it's advice.

7. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks for the Korection. Really, I am a bad speller and have never posted, don't know how to spell check on this site. Sorry

8. No sweet! I felt like an ahole posting that, but it's actually a commonly misplaced word that on a resume or interview, even business e-mail will kill you.

Upon reading your post, we actually had a similar issue. We had a drummer who didn't match up personality wise, but was pretty good on the kit. He ended up getting mad because we didn't socialize with him on a Saturday and we let that be the end. Personality can be just as important if you're taking the band seriously. You may be touring and or working with this person a lot.

When at work (dayjob) I like people who do their job well more than people who get along with me but are completely incompetent. If you're approaching the band like that, as previously stated, dump him for competence and jam with him for fun.

we found a guy who's great and agrees with us creatively as well as personality wise. You may find that in the new guy.

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    What does the other member of the band think?

My gut says, Schedule gigs with little regard for Drummer #1's schedule and use "fill-in" drummer whenever possible. It's kind of chickensh*t, but it's an option.

--Bomb :bassist:

10. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm pretty sure he is OK with whatever. We have discussed this problem, and when he found out #2 was gigless he said "Really?"

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    :D

12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    1 gig a month isn't that much of a commitment. If drummist #1 can't cut that and the fact that he doesn't play as well as #2, should make the decision apparent...

13. gyetman

gyetman

Dec 2, 2007
    I feel your pain brother. After about five years with my band, we finally decided to get rid of our guitarist/singer. It sucked, but in the end we replaced him with an awesome guitarist and now playing together is fun again. Go with your gut. The gut knows. It always knows.

14. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Can you talk the #1 percusser into being something else? Can he play rhythm guitar, keys, or concentrate on vocals? Yeah, yeah, I know...drummers aren't musicians. (jk) That would sure make things easier, wouldn't it?

15. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    He can play keys. But he has none. He wouldn't do it anyway, he thinks he is good at drums.

16. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Heh. In my country band, the drummer is the only one who can read music!

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I would have a band meeting w/o the drummer and get an agreement from everyone.

Have someone else in the band besides you let the drummer know that he can't miss anymore gigs or he's out.

I also suggest that you record a gig/rehearsal and point out the "cha-cha" beat thing and that he needs to practice on his own or he's out.

Let him fire himself. I don't think it will take long.

Or, if you want to snag #2 drummer before he gets in a new group, tell drummer #1 that missing gigs and being a "cha-cha" drummer doesnt' cut it anymore.

Even though you're only gigging once a month, it's got to be fun! If not, do what it takes to make it fun again.

18. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    This isn't practical in the real world, unless the guy is single, no family & no life outside the band. Things happen, everybody has to miss a gig once in a while.

You ought to be able to do something about that cha-cha thing, though.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Come on, they only gig once a month. How hard is that? If he's missed "a few gigs" that means he's missed several months of gigging.

Drummer #1 has reduced his commitment to the band by his choice of increasing his social activities, not by having family emergencies or other such occurrences.

Since he didnt' discuss his change in life style with the band, the band has to act on the results of his choices (missed gigs).

Based on that fact alone, the whole band situation requires some rethinking on the part of the remaining band members.

The drummer changed and now the band needs to change as well. If the drummer won't face up to his lack of commitment to the band and leave on his own accord, the remaining band members have to act in their own interests. They can point out the obvious to the drummer and let him go on (hopefully) friendly terms. Sounds like drummer #2 is ready to commit to the band and get them going again in the right direction.

20. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    It may very well be time for #1 to go. I'm just saying that, in general, an absolute ultimatum rarely works out well. Just fire the guy and get it over with, if that's how you're going to be. If Murphy's Law kicks in like it usually does, the guy who delivers the ultimatum will be the next to miss a gig. :D Darn that Murphy!