I need your ears!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by stefandisgust, May 13, 2012.

1. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    http://snd.sc/JoNMsP

http://snd.sc/JnOZ3w

Is that bass right/getting there?

Any advice for mixing volume that would help with bass? I seem to love it at low volume but sometimes when I really crank it up I'm not a fan.

Hit me with that constructive criticism, guys and gals.

2. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Did I post this in the right area?

3. bannerman

bannerman

Aug 29, 2007
    Portland
    I like it where it's at.

4. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I can hear all of the parts fairly well, and the bass is present and not overbearing in the mix.. I say job well done.

5. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    I listened to the tracks on AudioEngine 2 speakers that I have hooked up to my Imac, and the levels sounded great. The kick on the second song could come down just a hair (-1, -2). I will take a listen in my studio later this weekend and let you know what it sounds like from there.

May I ask what your monitoring environment is like? Just curious, because the levels are really good.

The mix sounds all digital is that correct? No tape used? I find that the Kramer MPX plugin does wonders for warming things up a bit.

I think you gave a great set of ears!

6. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    As with most metal the bass is totally lost on me. that being said these are the first metal tracks ive heard in years that actually sounded good.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I don't like the mix or the music.

8. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    Pretty useless response don't you think? Not constructive at all.

He asked for opinions on how the bass fits in the mix. That being the case, just explain why you don't like the bass in the context of the mix. He is not asking whether or not you like the music.

9. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    I agree it sounds good, but I struggled to make out what the bass part actually was. Maybe bump your mids up a touch, not too much cause the actual mix sounds good, but if you want the bass noticed it needs a little help.

10. I liked how the lower frequencies sound, but I think you could bring a little more to the front of the mix. I think you should work on middle frequencies as well, to cut through the wall of guitars. Also you could try using a bit of overdrive/disrtortion. That's for my taste anyway. Hope it helps. :)

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It hits my ear as kind of... blaring...for lack of a better word. Maybe too much global compression but...I do think there's room for a little more bass.

12. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    i think the bass cuts through very well for that style of music. like it was said allready - in most metal, you jus't can't hear the bass at all.

and: wow, very good playing (all of you, bass, drum, guitars) - congrats!

13. Care to elaborate a little?
    :rolleyes:

14. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

May 30, 2012
    United States
    With all honesty I was able to hear the bass the whole time, but I feel like I wouldn't hear it unless I was looking for it. Ya know?
    What? Clearly you've never heard of Megadeth or Death. While not the best examples both bands have amazing bassists that you can hear perfectly fine.

15. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

May 30, 2012
    United States
    Err.. Iron Maiden?? Steve Harris is an amazing bassist.

16. in my opinion you should raise the volume of the bass in the 1st song (just a bit, +1) and the mids in both songs... great stuff by the way :)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021