1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need your help: 1963 Ampeg B15 info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kaputsport, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I am trying to purchase a B15 from my local guitar center. It was a recent trade in, and cannot leave until the 30th, so I know it hasn't been messed with too much.

All original tubes, tolex is perfect, original price tag from 1963 is $350, and all stickers, and plates, including the plexi logo are intact. It has the original 15" speaker and the cover, all in perfect operating condition.

Some pots are a little scratchy, but the amp is sooooooo warm and full and it works so well...

My question is, what would you pay for it? What is it worth? Any one have any spacific information regarding the amp and cab?

I searched google, but there is limited information regarding the spacific model year.

Anyone have build dates, and specs?

Any help would be great. I am going to make an offer tomorrow, and I wanted to get some input from you guys here...

Thanks in advance.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 63 B-15 in that good a shape could easily go for $2000 or more. But a music store in business to turn gear over quickly might make you a deal. And the scratchy pots can be taken care of with contact cleaner. I wouldn't even worry about them.

Anyway, the model would more than likely be a B-15NB, which is the same as the other B-15N's except for a solid state rectifier. The original speaker would have been either a Jensen P15 or a JBL D130, more than likely the Jensen. Also, I'm pretty sure that all B-15N's in 63 were made with a tilt-back rod, so make sure it has one. Also, run a serial number check against http://members.aol.com/bluemuse/dating.html.

EDIT: Oops...just checked the book, and if it's a Jensen, it should be a C15, not P15.

3. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    It is not solid state... All tube, including Rectifier tube... All original AMPEG labeled tubes...

Thanks for the info.

4. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Does it have the tilt back stand inside? The dolly? The matcing cover?

5. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Matching cover... Yes. Tilt back, unknown at this time. Dolly? Yes all 4 wheels are there, and I assume the whole plate comes off the bottom. I have never seen one in person, found it, looked at it, put it on layaway, and came here to ask questions.

I'll be honest, I never really looked at them before, and now that I have found one, especially a 1963, I am all over it. If the tilt back thing is there, it is 100% original, all tube...

It is mine.

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Any other B15 experts here???

I am buying it, but I wanted to know what it should be worth in a store, so I do not over pay...

7. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I assume the cover is the original Ampeg tolex, right?

Vintage B-15 values can vary widely. I'd say $1000 is a good deal, but ones in great condition can definitely fetch more. Worth is subjective; a heavy, not too loud amp isn't so popular to your average GC crowd. This B-15 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-B-15N-Bas...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) sold for about $1k. Here's a clean one that sold for close to $2500 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ampeg-B...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14).

Pay what it's worth to you, but $2k to me is a bit high even though in a book it may be worth that. If you can get it for $1000 - $1500, it's a good deal.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I paid around $900 for my '67 which was in about the same condition, minus the tags. A '63 being 4 years and a circuit or two different would probably fetch a bit more than that. Probably $12-1500. Depends on what you want to pay really. What do they have it up for? My friends who work there say they tend to price their used stuff off of ebay closed listings, so I'd check there and that should be about what you're looking at paying.

9. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    It is listed at $1500, and honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. I wouldn't mind not spending less, but that is I think hat everyone wants.

So far everything I remember is the following:

-Ampeg Original tubes
    -Original matching blue tolex cover
    -Original matching dolly
    -Original Price tag from 1963
    -Original tags inside and out
    -Original Speaker
    -I did not notice a kick back, but I wasn't looking for one either
    -All original matching knobs
    -I did not notice the handles, but I will inspect tomorrow

It appears to be as mint and all original as you can get one of these for now-a-days.

I will be researching the amp all day tomorrow and checking it out again, in person tomorrow evening. If all is good, I write the check.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $1500 is not a bad deal at all for an original 63 in mint. I don't know where these other guys have been looking, but if someone knows of a 63 B-15N in mint shape going for $1000 or $1200, please let me know, because according to Ebay, that's a bargain. I've been seeing 70's B-15's go for that much.

11. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I'll post some pics tomorrow after I am done looking at it.

12. Looking forward to pics. Congrats on a nice find!

13. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Sounds like a deal for $1500. Even if the handles need replacing (or are not original), and the kickback (look for a metal rod inside the cabinet that you can take out) isn't there, it's a fair price. The B-15, for all it's praise, is a pretty niche amp for many people. You either want that tone and know it's going to be low volume, or you don't.

14. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I've seen really beat up B-15s (not B-15S lol) at GC for $1500 or under. If this one as he describes is going for $1500, it's a good price.

My problem with eBay is that it's a crap shoot, and people can inflate prices because they think they can get it, too.

15. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Oh, one thing to check: has the speaker input jack been modded or is it still the original? My B-15 was modded to be 1/4" (which is practical). Make sure that the input jack if not modded is working just fine because if you don't have an amp guy you trust to repair it, it will be more of a pain.