Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your help bass/amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnoMan, Nov 19, 2004.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I'm going through a ton a crap right now and the one thing that I was hoping was going right just went belly up on me today.

I was looking to get my hands on decent bass and a nice cab here on talkbass, but both have fallen through(not by fault any parties involved). So, what I have is a wishbass I'm trying to trade off for a metal bass and about $500 to spend on either a bass or a rig.

What I'm currently using that I'm not happy with is...

BC rich warlock platinum series - beat all to hell, not horrible, but I've pretty much reached the limits of the bass. Has fret buzz in several places, doesn't pick up tapping well, and the low end tends to overpower any highs unless I do a big change on the EQ (not helpful as I change basses during sets, and barely have time to put the other on let alone reEQ my rig)

Yamaha rbx 5 string - Not a bad bass, broken nut results in no high G string, can't buy a new one because it has a funny fit on this model and I can't find one to order. Really need to take it to a local luthier and have them make me one. Tone just seems a little to mellow most of the time, I dunno.

Rig
    harkte 3500
    hartke 2x10 transporter
    peavey 1x15

also have Sunn 1x15 and 1x15 folded horn, that I don't currently use due to their bulk.

I just can't seem to dial in a sound I'm really happy with. I was looking at an 8x8...6x10's really get my interest....but honestly, do I really need all that? (I think I do :hyper: )

So, here my deal. I need your help in deciding what I need to upgrade so I can have some ease of mind in my life at this time. I just don't know what direction to go first. I'm wanting sometime versitile(very interested in a G&L on the sales page) that can fit in a metal band well but still lend itself well to other styles and tapping since I'm trying hard to work on it. I'm also looking for a good cutting amp/cab setup. I want punch, I want bass you can feel and hear.

Sorry, my mind is overwhelmed so I really appreciate anyone opinions on what direction I should be looking at. I'm just not happy with my sound at all right now.

Also, I live in west virginia....trying out stuff isn't an option here....man I sure wish it was, that would make life so much easier.

Thanks again for any assistance,