Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your help here guys

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sandman_96, Feb 21, 2002.

Which bass do you prefer

Poll closed Feb 26, 2002.
  1. 4-string bass

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. 5-string bass

27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. 6-string bass

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. 7-string or more bass

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. The right tool for the right job.

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Ok I know this has been done before, but I'm doing it for an assignment at school. I have to collect real information and then turn it into a bar graph using HTML code. So as the information for my graph I chose to do how many people play 4-string, 5-string, 6-string, or 7-string or more. I know most of you own multiple bass's with different amounts of strings, so just vote for the one that you use the most. Thanks a lot for helping me out.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You should just make up the data. I'm sure you can make a pretty good approximation of how the poll will come out. It will be faster and no one will know, anyways.

3. There's no wrong or right answer - disclaimer

I own four 4 string basses, and one 5 string. The extra string is very nice to have hangin' round, but, I prefer 4s in general.

Mike J.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    what about three strings or less?

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I play 4 strings, but I'm looking at more right now.

6. that's called lying, and that is a bad thing to do in life.

7. I'm a traditional 4 string guy. I have a five string, but all my GAS is focused on nice 4 strings.

8. i was the first to vote for six....

what's up with that?
    :confused:

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A real danger with that approach is what happens if the teacher expects one to show the SOURCE of the data.

Way back in the day when I was teacher, I did require my students to document the source of data and information they used in reports. Their information had to be complete enough to be verifiable.

This is a good habit to acquire because one may need to provide one's boss with accurate data on one's job. Lack of truthful, detailed, no-BS, accurate data is why Enron collapsed, erasing the retirement accounts of many of its employees and investors, plus had a far reaching ripple effect throughout the stock market as accounting statements of major corporations were called into doubt.

While at first blush fudging data may seem like the easy way out, the long term impact of just fudging one's way through life can be actually be quite severe. :(

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bravo, Bop, true words of wisdom. You younger guys and girls take those words(and godsmack's) to heart.

I started to vote the right tool for the job, but for all of my jobs, the 5 is the right tool, so that's what I voted for.

11. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Thank you for not voting for right tool for the job because it wasnt one of my original choices. One of the mods added it and I have no intentions of using that option on my graph. So please dont vote for right tool for the job. I stated in my original post to just vote for the one that you use the most, so that i could avoid a fifth option like, having the right tool for the job choice. But, thanks anyway for adding it.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Let's see now, I have a 4, a 5, and a 6. That's a total of 15 strings. Divide by 3. That comes to um...5! I guess I'm a 5 stringer kinda guy.

Good thing you didn't ask how many frets. I was running out of fingers and toes.

Peace,

James

13. Five strings for me, I like having the B and E strings there to play around with and I can still gave my D and G to solo with or produce melodies.

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    There ya go! My vote is in.

15. For me, I think it is obvious which I prefer.

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    What happened to the 'A'?

17. I was a little confused..... the poll asks which do we prefer, and then you ask which one we play most..... these may not always be the same.....anyway it's always 4 for me... that's all I have!

When we gigged on friday a man came up who said he had an 8 string...... can anyone let me know what notes these are.... or is it like a 12 string acoustic? i.e. 2 strings tuned an octave apart for EADG?

18. That's the best string on the bass!

19. I've seen them both ways. I think John Paul Jones used an 8 (4 octave pairs) sometimes, and of course, there's John Turner on this very board who uses eights with 8 individual strings. I don't recall how he tunes them.

20. Hmm, I have a five, and i love it. But i'llalways be at home on a four. In fact, I have two fives and one four that i use (the other is retired). Perhaps I should get rid of one of my fives. damn.

sim