Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your help in picking the right sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 27, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Well GAS is clouding my judgment, i have a deposit on a Sadowsky Tokyo 5 string just like Nino's but some of the US models have coght my eye and had me wondering.If i save up another $1500 i can get a bass like either of these made for me, so what do you think should i up grade or stay with the Tokyo. I will attach pics of the basses i am considering first this is the tokyo. This is Nino's but if i stick with it i would have the same one.

2. MAJOR METAL

This is the one that gave me some serious GAS

3. MAJOR METAL

I would also consider this one too

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I think you should go for the bass that you like the most without thinking too much about the money, I haven't tried the Tokyo-series, but the US Sadowsky models are as you probably know hard to beat!!!

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    what about this one:

[​IMG]

MWAAAAAHAHAHA!!!

;)

f

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You seen that 5-string at Thelowend.net?

I'd buy it! ;)

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    In for a penny, in for a pound. Resale value alone would point you toward the NYC model.

Also my recomendation would be this:
    Pick the body wood you want and then get a PJ. Have Roger tweak the front rout enough to accept a J pickup as well. Then for the price of an extra pick gard and pickup you can have what is essentially three Sadowsky's in one.

You probably won't get that option with a Tokyo model.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Wow! I have the same exact blue NYC 5 string on order from Roger!! I own 3 and have had 6 others and I won't gig with anything else. I've played a couple Tokyo's and they were awesome, too. They tend to be a bit heavier than the NYC models due to the heavier ash used. I don't know what to tell you. I'd go with your gut and enjoy your decision.:D

Rob

9. I've only owned my Tokyo RJ5 for three weeks, but so far it has exceeded my expectations in every respect. The biggest surprise for me is how versatile the bass is. It's incredibly responsive to nuances in playing style and the pickups and preamp offer a ton of tonal variation.

I should mention that the ash body/maple board combination and '70s Fender Jazz Bass aesthetic have always appealed to me. If a quilted maple top and smaller body are what you really want then save up and get a USA Sadowsky. Decisions decisions :)

10. That's a beautiful bass!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. MAJOR METAL

bump

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    If you had #3868 sitting on a stand in your living room, you'd never think about the MIJ again (after 2 1/2 years, I still think, "Holy crap--that's MY bass"). If you had the MIJ, you'd always wonder. Don't focus on the money. You can always make more. :)

13. My .02:

There is no wrong decision here.

Have you played the USA and Tokyo models?
    Do you hear or feel a difference?

Odds are you will keep your Sadowsky for years if not over a decade. I got my first Sadowsky in 1990 and I still love it. Other instruments have come and gone but over the past 13 years I've had 5 Sadowsky instruments and 4 remain in my arsenal. In the long run, get the bass that makes you swoon the most.. as long as it doesn't financially kill you. And if it is going to be a financial gut buster, than, if possible, wait and take your time and save.

14. MAJOR METAL

I can here the diffrence in the basses but the thing is they are both so good.

15. MAJOR METAL

I believe your statement just swayed me to go USA. When it comes to the Money issue, i am studying to be a priest and when i tell you it took along time to put this money together it really did. Better get what you want the first time then to have to go thru many basses to do it. Thanks for the great advice:)

16. MAJOR METAL

IS your bass the black one, if so i played that bass this summer and it was such a warm sounding bass enjoy.

17. My bass is black. I purchased it from Steve Beals at Basses Loaded in Illinois.