Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need Your Help!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Aug 7, 2001.

1. hi...my name iz AnT. ive owned a bass for about a year now but ive only started to learn and practice and stuff now (dont ask). im into nu metal type stuff so ive tried to pick up as much as possible as tabs, so ive learned sum marilyn manson, (hed)p.e., and sum limp bizkit. thing is im only getting in standard tuning (E A D G) because i dont know how to do any other form of tuning, like i said im a beginner so i use an electronic tuner. i really need sum help to give me direction. im only 15 and i cant afford lessons, and my mom cant afford them for me neither. since bout a month ago ive bin playing none stop. i used ta play like once evry other week...i waz so lazy. but no i play everyday. why?? coz i met this really kool guy called steve. he owns a new guitar shop near where i live. he gave me, how should we say....inspiration. he learnt me his chilli peppers book and sed to learn "under the bridge" coz its nice and easy. ive done that and im real good at it too!! my best friend scholzey plays guitar and so he learnt the guitar part to the song ta help me out and gimme sum one ta jam wit.

and ure probly bored by this excessively long post by now but im gunna ask all u wonderful ppl out there in bass land for sum guidance...im not asking u to do the work for me cuz that would be the old me...now im commited and i so wanna work cuz i practice all the time like i sed...wot im askin for is "the next step". all i need is you to tell me where from now?? all im doin is tabs all the time and i feel im gettin nowhere at times. i can make sum good lines to accompany scholzeys riffs and stuff, and i wanna teach myself....but i could do wit sum one tellin me wot ta do next.

i know this is alot to ask for but if any one can help me i'd be extremely greatful!!!

AnT

2. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    First how about typing in a way that people can understand you.

1. Listen to all kinds of music. Find something that you like. Try to play it by ear.

2. Metronome, Metronome,Metronome

3. Learn how to read Standard notation.

4. Above all enjoy what you do.

5. Try and get lessons!!

I'm sure that other members with more experience can give you better advice. Before I forget welcome to Talkbass!

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Whew! Well HEDLESS, that took awhile to get through, but I think I'm following you.

First, Welcome to Talkbass. I'm glad to hear you're excited to take the next step in BASS.

You might want to work on your writing skills though. Your post was rough and difficult to read.

Now, let me see what I can say:

- Getting a teacher is the best bet. Maybe you could get a part time job or something to afford lessons. If you want to really learn, and be able to express yourself on the instrument, you will need lessons.

- Try some of the old posts we have hear in Talkbass. Here's a decent one for some theory:

Click here

- Check out some books. Try and get books with accompanying CDs. You can find these on amazon, and other book sellers.

- Check out some lessons at different websites. www.libster.com is a great place to go.

Okay, so this probably isn't what you want to hear, because these methods take time and discipline, but guess what, like most everything else in life, there aren't shortcuts. You can sit there and learn all the tabs you want all day, but please understand that you will not develop as a musician by doing this only. You must develop yourself in other ways. Look into learning music theory. Develop your ear. Listen to as much music as you can, and don't limit yourself to just the genre you know.

The road is long and difficult, I will not lie, but it's also intensely fun. Learning tabs and learning songs "cuz they're easy" will only get you so far. Do you know what a scale is? Do you know what an arpeggio, or chord, is?

Take it slowly and learn as much about your instrument as you can.

4. Well thanks a lot for both of your inputs. to reply to the hint on my writing abilities I only have the following statement to issue:-

1. I'm British so there are naturally going to be spelling differences from you Americans (no offence).

2. I use lots of abbreviations because I am one very lazy little boy (yes i know...I'm working on that).

3. Once again: Scholzey is short for Mathew Scholes...my blonde haired best friend.

4. Umm...I forget, but you get the idea.

Anyway I do know all the bass root notes and I know the musical alphabet. I can do the slap 'n' pop thing pretty well. I'm good with harmonics, hamer-ons (though i could use some inprovement here), pull-offs, muted notes...you know...the basic baby stuff.

Aside from lots of tabs this is all I know as far as bass is concerned. I can play a little guitar, such as the basic chords, etc...but thats not going to help me on this particular instrument now is it? (unless im Les Claypool, lol)

But once again thanks for the help.

...and can anybody out there teach me how to accomplish the other types of tuning? (drop D, etc??)

AnT

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    WOW!:eek:

If you improove your bass playing in that pace, I'm now addressing the new, brightest ever shining bass star - of next week!

I add this to the list:
    arpeggios - got me a new vocabulary in "notime"

I second these:
    standard notation - what would rock be without Bach? Opens your mind and quickens your learning.
    lessons - that's what I need now - but can't afford (time- and moneywise). I suffer:(

And do go for style diversity, it will aid your favourite style more than you'd believe!

6. if you know where the notes are on the bass, drop-d should be no problem, just tune down your E string until it is an octave below the D on your A string.

7. I think you're wrong here. Learning guitar chords has helped me tremendously with my Bass playing. If you know what notes you're fretting when yu play the chord, then you know how the chord is built. Knowing this tells you what notes work against that chord and therefore gives you more options for bass notes to use when that chord is being played (by more options, I mean more than just the root). This is especially true when you start getting into chord extentions.

Oh, and welcome to Talkbass, the center of all Bassdom. :D

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    yo fella, where about in the uk are ya? i'm in liverpool.
    the only thing i can think of that hasnt been said is try and work stuff out by ear. I know how hard it cn be sometimes liking heavier music trying to hear it through distorted guitars, but still it helped me. :cool:

9. actually fishbrain im quite near you...no not like dat...eww...

i mean you live in liverpool right? kool, i live in skelmersdale...you know where that is? its only like an hour away. im goin ta liverpool on thursday actually to get my bass fixed. wot bands you listen to?

korn, deftones, (hed)p.e., slipknot, marilyn manson, fear factory, orgy, sepultura???

its all good to me

later

AnT

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hey... can anyone else hear a trumpet being blown? ;)

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    yeh my uncle lives in skem,
    i like all those bands and im goin to c slipknot in november! i like RHCP, RATM, linkin park, greenday and limp bizkit 2

12. ure gonna see tha 'knot too??!! kool

ive got tickets ta see em in manchester, november 8th

its gunna be my first gig so im really lookin forward to it

13. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Yeah! Manchester MEN. It will b my first time seeing the knot but it wont be my first gig and im seeing linkin park in september 2 :D

how long will it take you to get there all the way from skem?

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is so true, I learned classical guitar for 3 years and electric for 1 or 2, I learned chords, scales and theory. If somebody says something about theory I understand it. And that helps me A LOT when I´m thinking about bass lines because this is all so similar.

15. dunno, bout an hour or 2....i gotta take the train and bout 2 buses or sumthin, its worth it tho.

ure seein linkin park?? damn u!! i wanted ta go, adema iz gunna open for them. they rule. there lead singer iz the younger brother of jonathan davis of korn dont cha know! :)

16. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    kool, i never heard of them b4 but i'll mosh my ass off newayz lol :D