Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your input on the future of my rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swa240z, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Hey all,

I have been playing for about 8 months and I have recently started playing with some guys I know. As a result, I'm trying to decide what to do with my present rig. I'm currently running a Peavey Combo 210TX that I bought new in July. Given that I didn't know much about bass gear at the time I bought it, I'm pretty sure I got screwed on the price (paid $700 new). The amp puts out 210w@4ohms or 300w@2ohms. IMO, this thing doesn't sound bad, although I have heard better.

Now my dilemma. I'm now getting to the point that I want to add a cabinet to round out the tone by adding either a 410, 212, or 115 - OR - completely replace the combo. I've seen some pretty good new and used deals on the Peavey 410TVX and 115BVX cabs - but if I'm already going in the wrong direction, I don't want to make it worse.

I like the sound of the Eden stuff (kinda pricey tho), but their 115 isn't available in 4 ohm, so I'd have to go with a 212 or 410. The thinking here is that I could go ahead and add a 4ohm Eden cab now and eventually replace the combo with a separate cab and amp in the future. If I go this route, i'm locked into 4 ohms - which I'm not convinced is a bad thing.

The other option is to sell the combo now and just buy a single cab and amp (both used) and hold out for the 2nd cab until later (assuming I don't have the $$$ to do it all now).

Any thoughts on which route to go?

Also, if I sell the combo, any idea what it should be worth?

Thanks!

Steve

2. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I would add an 8ohm cab. If your combo's cabinet runs at 4ohms that would put your combined ohm rating at 2.67ohms. If the combo cabinet runs at 8ohms you will then be at 4ohms combined. Then you have a cabinet that you could combine later with another 4ohm cabinet to be at 4ohms (which is a commonly recommended ohm rating for a lot of amps). If the Peavey goes down to 2ohms it will probably still run hot, and at 2.67ohms you will lesson the burden on the amp.

I also agree with the Avatar recommendation. ;)

3. I have considered the Avatars since they have received some positive comments on this board, but I am a little leary of buying cabinets that I can't listen to before they show up at my door. For those of you that have played through both Avatars and some of the better known brands, how do they compare in tone and loudness at similar amp settings?

Fishface - I had never thought about the fact that it might be possible to run the 4 ohm combo cab with an 8 ohm add-on cabinet.

Forgive my ignorance regarding this stuff, but if my amp is rated for both 4 and 2 ohms (no 8 ohm rating), then is it safe to assume that it will handle a 2.67 ohm load?

Thanks!

Steve

4. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    As long as you are not below the minimum rating you are OK.

5. Thanks Fishface. It looks like I should just add a good cab to what I have. The question is which one? Given I'm running a 210 w/tweeter, which type of cab would help round out the sound and add the best bottom end - a 410, a 212, a 115, or...?

Thanks!

6. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    A lot of people go with a 15" cab with a 2-10" cab. Me, I'd go with 2-12", or a 1-12" cab. You have to decide on what kind of sound you want. Do you want a tighter/punchier sound (more 10's and maybe 12"), or a fatter/thicker sound (a 15" cab)?

These are just generalizations, as it also differs from brand to brand. It is part of the game of trying to find "your" tone.

Good luck!