I need your opinions and help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Poon, May 20, 2003.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a bit of a situation and I don't know what to do about it.

So, I've been thinking about getting a new amplifier recently. I currently own a mid 90's Fender BXR 200 combo amp. It isn't much in terms of clarity for the high end (due to the 15" speaker and lack of a horn or tweeter), but It is a very dependable amp. I've been recently looking at the David Eden 2 10" combo, known as the "Metro". I played it a local music store and I was quite impressed by its clarity and how much bass it put out (especially in the low end), despite it being 2 10's. The real strength of the metro combo is its punchiness and high end. This combo also has the possiblity of expanding. Its a really powerful combo amp. (If there are any other suggestions about combo amps that I should consider instead of the Metro, please tell me, I like the 2 10" format, so I've considered ones like the SWR superredhead and the GK 2 10" combos, but I've liked Eden. One guy told me to try aguilar, but I don't think they have any combos. I don't play huge venues, so I don't think it is justified in me buying a huge rack system and I I needed something bigger in the future, I figure the metro will be expandable.) I've seen these around e-bay (Eden Combo) and I wouldn't really have a problem getting 1...but that brings me to problem 2.

2.) I'm a college kid who is majoring in business, but I have no money, because I'm in college and I have such expensive hobbies (Music & Cars).
    So I'm thinking of selling off some of my existing equipment in order to get new stuff.

3.) I have the unlimited desires, limited funds problem that I'm sure many of us have. I wish to spend spend spend, instead of save save save. I've also recently fallen in love with Peavy Cirruses. I bought one over e-bay not too long ago and it has become my main axe. This sort of relates to problem 2, that now I'm thinking of getting rid of my other basses, (or some of them) in order to subsidize the purchase of The Metro Combo Amp, Another Peavey Cirrus (different from the first) and A Music Man Stingray 5.
    Why buy another Cirrus. Because I absolutely love them. I haven't found another bass that plays like them. I have a Warwick Thumb 5, a Ernie Ball Stingray 4, A Cort Curbow 6, An Ibanez Fretless, and my Cirrus 5...No wonder I'm broke. But I'm thinking about selling all of them off just to get another Cirrus 5... The cirrus 5 I'm thinking of getting has a bit different tonal characteristics than the one I have now. I've played them side by side in the store and they actually do sound different form one another. The one I have now has a Wenge top and Walnut body (I think) and the other one I'm looking at has a Maple Body (sounds a bit brighter). But I love both basses.
    Ideally, I'd like to keep the most amount of basses or amps as possible and still get all the new stuff, but that just doesn't seem like it is going to happen.

What would you do?
    1.) Sell the Ernie Ball Stingray (I don't use the 4 string much) and the Ibanez Fretless (I don't ever use it). To Buy the Cirrus?

2.) To buy the Metro Combo?

3.) Should I sell off my Current Combo amp in conjunction with any of the basses that I listed in option 1 to buy the Cirrus?

4.) To buy the Metro Combo?

5.) Save my money cause I'm just a dumb kid who is obsessed with buying stuff.

6.) Keep all my basses and in time just buy both of them. (This doesn't appeal to my sense of instant gratificiation, but it seems logical).

7.) Some solution I can't think of.

I think I'm slowly phasing out 4 string basses out of my Arsenal, would you recommend doing this? I mean, each bass is good in its own respect, and its nice to have all of them. But I just have found so many more instruments that I like better and not being affluently wealthy doesn't help. Let me know.
  2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow! Sit back and have something to calm yourself down. If you're too young, have a glass of milk.

OK. Is it more important for you to play lots of different basses or is it more important to have a good sound?

I'm bias to the Eden Metro. It's what I play through and I love it. The 2-10 configuration will actually give you more low end than 1-15. The Metro combo is a professional quality combo. You won't have to replace it for God knows how many years. If you start playing bigger venues, you can always get Eden extension cabs to put under it. It's a great combo and it's versitile. Others may give you different opinions.

I would save for the Metro and sell your Fender combo and something else to pay for it. Instant gratification will give you gratification instantly, not necessarily long term.

Good luck with your desicion. I hope I was helpful.
  3. Take out a big fat student loan
    buy what you want and worry about it later!
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This will probably get a better response in Misc... moved.
  5. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Here's what I would do....

First, sell whatever you don't use. It's worthless to you sitting around collecting dust, and someone else might be able to use it.
    I personally don't find much worth in having a million nice basses. In a performance setting, I pretty much play one bass, the whole gig. For example, I recently bought a new Pedulla, and I love it. So much that my Fender Am Dlx V I had started sitting around, collecting dust. So I sole the Fender. It is a nice bass. I couldn't stand letting it sit and rot. I just felt like it should be played by someone who appreciated it.

Second, figure out which is more important to you right now, another bass or a better amp. If you are unhappy with your current amp, I would go with a new amp over another bass. Sounds like you really love the bass you have, so why not round out your sound with the new amp?

Third, DO NOT GET INTO DEBT TO BUY ANYTHING! Please! I know. I have lots, and lots, and lots of credit card debt. And it sucks. Basically, I mortgaged my future to buy stuff years ago, most of which is broken or gone now. But guess what, I still get to pay for it. Cool deal, eh. Avoid it like the plague. That way when you are 30, and have a decent job, you can buy that cool Fodera by saving for a couple of months rather than still be paying for the things you bought in college, and that you no longer own.

Anywho, just my $.02.

Hope this helps, or at least entertained you.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

This is very good advise! Don't make the mistake that MANY people make. You eventually have to pay back credit cards or student loans. Eventually, you may want to buy more than a shack for a house. If you're trying to impress the girls, they like nice houses and security more than nice basses.

Take your time. You'll eventually get what it is you want.