1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need your opinions Epifani UL501 or Eden WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iwearpumas, Mar 27, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hey all, I need some of your opinions. I am looking into a new amp, something smaller and lighter. I currently have an Eden WT800C, and an Eden Navigator preamp. I dig the Eden tone especially their semi-parametric EQ, but I am sick of carrying around 20-40 lb amps when i have to go somewhere, especially to a smaller venue. I don't have much experience with Epifani amps because they aren't in stores, but I see everybody playing them. What should i do?? I currently play Ken Smith basses.

2. fyziqs

fyziqs

Nov 4, 2007
    Opinion: Epifani > Eden
    Fact: both are solid and each will give you different sound.

I find Epifani to have a flatter response; The Eden gear has a strong mids presence that is hard to tame.

3. fyziqs

fyziqs

Nov 4, 2007
    (That last part is opinion) :)

4. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Ima test out an Epifani tomorrow.

5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    The WT550 is one of my all time fav bass amps.

6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll agree with fyziqs about Eden gear having a strong mid presence, but the flexibility of the EQ on those amps is vast. There's nothing about them I've ever found hard to tame.

You already know you like the Eden tone, but bear in mind the WT-550 is still a 10-pound amp, which is not so light by today's standards.

If you didn't already own Eden gear, I'd steer you that way, but since yopu already have some in your stable, I suggest you try something new. Go for the Epi, and you can always drag out the Eden if you're jonesing for that sound.

7. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    The website says the wt550 is 20 lbs. A big turn off.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ouch! 7 lbs up from the WT-400.

9. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Played the Epifani Ul501 today, freaking loved it. Im purchase one next week.

10. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    Perhaps the following would be the best option for you from the Eden line-up ...

EDEN WTX500 4.3 lbs 500W@4ohm

11. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I want more power. But I will check it out

12. asbs

asbs

Oct 11, 2010
    Geneva
    Did you buy the UL 501, finaly ?

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I love Eden heads. IMO/IME the GB Shuttlemax heads can provide essentially the same tones and weigh about 10lbs.

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The WT550 is a great sounding head IMO. To my ears, it has a crisper tone with a tighter low end than the WT400 and WT800 but still with a bit of warmth. The 550 weighs in at 20 pounds though so something to consider if you're looking to lighten your amp. Beacuse of its footprint, it's still pretty manageable though even at that weight. I used to carry mine in a small GigSkinz medium mixer bag.

Agree with lomo - I think the Genz heads have a similar tone profile to the WT550.

15. Opinion: Epifani > Eden = False

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    The WT550 is a wonderful amp. And 2-ohm stable to boot.

A super light anything is a very nice feature, granted, but 20 lbs. is too heavy? We're through the looking glass.