I need your opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danham, Nov 19, 2003.

1. XS400 15" w/ tweeter combo

2 vote(s)
  2. XS400 head and Avatar B212 cab

4 vote(s)
  1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I'm getting a Yorkville XS400 for x-mas. My dilemma is whether to get the 15" combo version or get a separate head and cab. My problem is this. I would vastly prefer a separate head and 2X12 cab, but the only 2X12 in my price range is the Avatar B212. Problem with that is that it's rated at 1000W while my head will only push 400W (I'll probably never push it that high). From what I understand this is not good and my rig won't be as loud as it should. I shot Dave at Avatar an email asking if he could put lower rated speakers in the B212 for me and he replied saying I would be fine getting the stock version since the Avatar B212 is really efficient and it would be fine as long as I was pushing atleast 100W. I'm calling out to Avatar owners, what do you think I should do? :confused: It's either one or the other as I currently can't work because of a medical condition so can't save up to get an Eden or Aguilar 2X12. 10's just lack punch for me and 15's are a little too boomy.
  2. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    Thanks for the input SMASH. I've seen those cabs on ebay before. Only thing about them though is that they're 8 ohm and I'm looking for a 4 ohm single cab solution.:bassist:
  3. Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    I just got an Avatar 2x12 cab myself ... Played it for the first time last night and really like it.

What power amp are you using? If it's 400 watts per channel at 4ohms, maybe you could run it in Bridged Mono (800 watts) and be fine.

I'm not very experienced w/ this, but you might even be able to run it at 400... anyone?
  4. Lue

Sep 30, 2003
  5. i say get the combo, then later get a 2x12 or 2x10 8ohm cab of better quality than avatar. thats what i am gonna do.
  6. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

Yeah, I heard they were coming out with a 2X10 version. I would seriously consider it if I played a 4-string but since I play a 5 it's out of the question. If I get the 15" combo I will eventually add a 2X10 cab to it.