i need your oppinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jun 7, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    Alright guys, I just bought the Goliath III and I love it. I also have the Workingman 15 combo. I got the idea to put my workingman 15 on its side and put the 4x10 Goliath on top of it. I am running it all with some older Carvin head. This is how it's running: from the speaker 1 output on my head into my Goliath. from the speaker 2 output into the external speaker input of my workingman. It sounds good to me, but is this dangerous? Both cabs are 8 ohms by themselves, but is it possible to harm the speakers or the amp? I need input.

Also, do you think there is a better way to run all of this?
  2. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    It sounds like you're using the workingman 15 for a speaker cab only without plugging in the electroncs.I did the same thing with my sunn going into a sunn 8 ohm 4x10 cab and an acoustic 136 8 ohm 1x15 combo but using only the speaker of the combo.the two 8 ohm cabs provide a total of four ohms.Make sure your carvin head can handle a four ohm load,my sunn will go down to two.I noticed that there was so much more sound coming out of my 4x10 than the 1x15 that is wasn't worth the trouble to use the 1x15.And that was a very big,efficient cab.I decided that if I ever needed more than a 4x10 I would either get another 4x10 or a 1x18,or possibly a 2x15 and I would want it to be an 8 ohm cab because I think that would balance better with the 8 ohm I already have than a 4 ohm would.'course I could add a 4 ohm 1x15 which would cause more juice to be sent to the 15,but I don't know.sorry about the tangent.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've never used a WM15 but it seems to me that you're connecting the output of your Carvin head to the junction of the SWRs poweramp and internal speaker. This could seriously damage the SWR's amp.

If you're concerned about this, and you should be IMO, call SWR and tell them what you're doing and ask them if it's OK.