Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need your thoughts on this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwilsonR, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I'm not good on looks but that looks made to last. Looking to buy it are you? I wish I had $ca$h$...Anyway, that grate is very flashy. I like it.

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    no expierence with the brand.. looks/sounds like it would be pretty cool. surely someone here has played one.. im kinda curious to hear more about this thing.

3. based on the speaker arrangement, how do you think it would sound when compared to a 4x10 w/ tweeter?

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Looks a bit like a Goliath, but of course the speakers configuration is quite different. Looks robust.

Does the seller offer a return policy in case this cab wouldn't fit your needs ? If yes, and if the price is low, you can try...

All the best,

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There are some pretty bad reviews of these things online. Something to the effect that the cabs are made out of particle board and that they have terrible customer service.

6. i've read those reviews, and all of the bad ones have been purchased through speakerhole.com. i've also read some articles from NAMM that do nothing but praise these cabs. i've come to the conclusion that speakerhole was trying to pass their own amps off as Madison (all of the really bad reviews that i've read complain that the cab didn't have any literature, or even a logo).

7. My EB-MM HD212's have a 2x12, 1x6 arrangement that just snarls when I need it too. Incredibly deep lows which are just the ticket for my dub. A cab that goes for a smaller speaker to cover your highs, rather than a shreiky whizzer may be worth checking out? my highs are smooth and round. I hate horns.
    That cab does look a little shallow tho'?

8. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    my Bag-End D10X-D is only 12 inches deep, yet it handles low end at least as good as my hartke 2.5XL did. the hartke was 18 inches deep. depth really doesnt determine bass response, in itself. its more about how the driver is matched to the cabinet its in.

SwilsonR, ask Jauqo III-X about madison, he has a 4x8 built by them.

9. That isn't exactly a selling point.....the D10X-D has a fairly sorry lowend response IMO; BE doesn't even advertise those anymore. If you're happy with that sort of response, then more power to you.

Might as well buy an Avatar...

10. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    as far as i know, dave at avatar is running at least some sort of program to match his cabs to the eminence drivers he uses. if throwing drivers in any sort of a box made no difference in response, why dont you use avatars, instead of the mesa/EB gear you have? it would be a lot cheaper. just wondering.

11. No where did I say that it made "no difference." Just because Dave matches his Eminence drivers to those tiny boxes doesn't mean that those cabs will do anything for your fundamental. If your response rolls off at 80hz as an SVT cab or many of Daves cabs will, folks will end up boosting the 50 hz knob on their rigs to compensate adding nothing but distortion and "blurriness." Not good.
    Your E string fundamental rides somewhere around 40 hz. If your cab isn't even going to come close to reproducing that then you are just fooling yourself into thinking it actually "sounds good." That is called "psycho-acoustic phenomona"; your mind filling in the blanks. If you think Avatar cabs are acceptable then great. I am sure their mids and highs are just fine..personally, I don't see the point.