1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Need Your Wisdom(advice)On Cab Selection.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Apr 22, 2006.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Alrite, alrite, I have been spending hours on the forum "search" feature, been reading countless threads, going back and forth, reading even some threads twice! I have narrowed it down, now I am almost there, now I need your advice on which cab would better suit my needs. Heres what I am looking for and what I narrowed it down to:

1. I want a PUNCH! I want the audience or whoever else is standing in front to FEEL IT in their chest. BAM!

2. I want the cab to cut through like no other, so that I wont get lost in the mix. I usually have no P.A. support. My drummer is loud, and so are the guitars. I can hear myself fine on stage, but I am told a lot that my sound gets drowned out a lot.

3. I need it to handle the Low B

4. I want a LIGHT cab thats easily moved from one place to place.

5. See Number 1.

As for the cabs I am looking at....the 310UL,410UL , Schroeder410L and the 21012L

My first choice was a 310UL, but I am not sure they will get loud enough in certian situations. I read that they are more of "medium" size gigs. The thing is I am not sure what "medium" size is.

410UL will be sweet(from what I can tell, I actually heard 2 210UlLs), but I am not sure if its going to fit in the backseat of my car.

Never heard any of the Shroeders, but from what I have found and read about, they should me sweet to. I am looking to purchase a cab within the next couple weeks and I need YOUR help.:D Help me find a great cab so I can :bassist: all night!

Almost forgot, I am using a Ashdown EVO II.

ANy suggestions, comments will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!:D

Thanks in advance

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've posted a lot on these cabs, so you probably know my take on this already. However, just a brief (well, maybe not that brief!) comment putting the Ashdown in the mix.

The Ashdown is quite punchy to me versus some other heads, so that's good for your sound. Given the mid voicing of the Schroeders, the 410 Schroe + Ashdown might be a little too punchy IMO (but if you are looking for a huge low mid sound, that would be it!). So, if you are thinking about a Schroe, either the 410L (massive low mid punch) or the 21012L (punchy, but with more extended low end) might work great. Their thinner 16" depth than the 410UL make it a breeze to get in the back seat and they are loud as all heck.

Regarding the 410UL... it is a full 18" deep and rather larger, but very light. It's my favorite cab, and lines up with the Ashdown voicing very well. I wouldn't want to try to cram it in a back seat though... I guess it depends on how big your car is.

The 310UL... wonderful, but if you are playing really loud, it will run out of steam. It will in no way keep up with a drummer pounding as loud as he/she can on a 'loud kit', for example. It's the same depth as the 410UL, but the shorter height and slimmer width make it no problem to get in the back seat.

Hope that adds something.... if you can swing the size, I'd highly recommend the 4 ohm 410UL as matching your tone preference and volume and weight requirements. If not, the Schroe21012 would be my second choice. You might talk to Jorg about his take on the 410L with the Ashdown also... it would be MASSIVELY punchy.... but some would call it 'Massively lower mid-rangy'... which might or might not be good.

Finally, you might want to check out the Sadowsky 410. They are not lightweight (I think about 80 pounds), but have a super tight, punchy sound, and the rather shallow depth (I think 16" or less) makes them feel much lighter than they really are and would allowthem to fit in the back seat with no problem.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You are discribing the Bergantino NV610. No kidding, do a T/B search.

4. but you forgot...
    a 610 does not constitute portable. :rolleyes:

5. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Looks like I am going to have to use the "search" option again look for the Sadowsky 410

I would love a NV610.....But then I would have to buy a new car:rolleyes:

6. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Excuses, excuses.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    To me a 98lbs cab is light, my heavy cab weighs 180....:meh:

He said he wanted PUNCH with capital letters, and then he supersized that order with item #5....Anybody that wants that much punch should be aware of this cab.

Have you noticed how many Berg NV owners say that this cab is easy to lift and move around?

At 2x3 ft. and just 15.5 inchs deep, you can haul this cab in a subcompact, and with the tiltback casters and rear handle, you can roll it in the club with one hand, while you carry your amp in the other.
    I do admit that stairs are a issue.

8. For a 610, yes it's portable, but IMO any cab that weighs more than 50ish is no longer "easily moved from place to place".

turnuptheBASS - you might want to look in to the Dr Bass BL 210 here. It's a VERY punchy and good all around cab from what I've heard.

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    +1 on the sadowsky SA410.
    I find mine easy to move around does take up a lot less space than my eden 410XLT.as it is only 15.5 inches deep

10. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Any Schroder 410 users out there? Can they ge too middy? Just wondering. :p