Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I neeeeed help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zink182, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ok I'm gonna install a series paralell switch in my jazz bass.. I have the DPDT switch and it has 6 connectors on the bottom.. can anyone tell me how to wire this ?

every instructions I've seen don't make that much sense to me..

I want it to be series/parallel so if I want paralell I have parallel two volume knob and tone knob and switch to series where I should have one volume knob and one tone..

2. the switch I have..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Look in the Pickups FAQ, stickied, under "Series/Parallel switching". I wrote a blurb on wiring the DPDT a while back, and it's posted in there somewhere.

4. I don't understand that enough.. I tak the dround wir from the neck pickup and wire it to what?

5. that's for a diffirent type of switch..

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Nope, same type of switch.

Look here, post #2 - I even tried to "draw" the 6 connectors with ASCII text:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195970

EDIT: It's possible you have only the DPDT, rather than a DPDT attached to a tone knob... but the six terminals wire the same way.

7. didn't quite get the edit part..

so can I use this one.. you can see the switch on that picture.. if I use that switch does the tone knob still work ?

8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Sorry; sometimes when you edit right after posting, it doesn't mark it as "edited".

Absolutely your tone pot will still work. The only reason why folks use those push-pull pots, rather than the DPDT switch you have, is so they don't have to drill a new hole in the bass for a new switch. They swap out an "ordinary" tone pot for a "dual-device" tone pot plus DPDT switch.

To use the switch you posted, you don't have to worry about the tone pot at all. Just wire your switch exactly like the 1 through 6 terminals shown in that other post.

9. oh.. thank you so very very very much :* you just made my christmas :D

10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow.... maybe I should change my username to Santa.... naaaah. :D

Let us know how you like it.

11. I will I will..

I'll problaby do it tomorrow.. take lots of pictures and stuff :)

12. ok I did it but something went wrong.. when I pull the switch to me I have to turn of the neck pickup volume and than it turns on.. then when I push it away I have to turn on the neck volume to make it work.. the tone works.. but the volume is ****ed up.. it seems to be in series either way...

HELP ! :crying:

13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmmm.... sounds like you might have cut & spliced the wrong wire to your switch..... this is a wild guess, but based on what you described, I'm thinking you may have cut the ground wire from the neck pickup, rather than the hot wire....

Gonna be hard to troubleshoot over the Internet..... go back and look carefully at what you did..... also look carefully at your solder connections; make sure there aren't any "stray strands" making contact where they're not supposed to....

14. I cut the red hot wire from the neck and the black wire from bridge

15. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds right.... but trace those wires out..... rather than just going by color, follow 'em and see where they terminate.....

The "hot" lead from each pickup should terminate on the input lug of the volume pot.... the "ground" should terminate on system ground, probably the back of the pot case....

16. I found out the problem I'm so stupid.. connected the hot from the neck pup to 2 and hot from the vol pot to 5 not 3.. I kinda counted it wrong :/.. I'm gonna fix it in the morning.. :(

17. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Not wanting to get shot down in flames... ;)

Is it possible to do this mod to a P/J p/up setup?

Looking for some mods to do to my GSR 200 and this has me really interested.

18. yeah it should be possible.. but I think p pickups are humbucking so you would have to get a wiring diagram from ibanez..

or somebody here could help you..

19. I finally got the switch to work.. (I ****ed the connections.. typical me) it's so awesome :D I love the boost and the tone it gives me :)

[​IMG]