Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Niels Keijzer, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I bought this Larry Graham cd, which got lots of praises in Bassplayer, and which I found somewhere on sale...

It's called "GCS2000".

Oh my...

I can't even find words to describe how this cd sucks...totally lame midtempo funk where he's talking about how he and his family got the "luuuuvvvv" together. Funk off!
    There are two songs where he is slapping, and on those songs he sounds like his own cliché...and all those people complementing about his distorted tone: it sounds like a pedal, really does.

So if you ever see this album, start screaming, and run.
    If you live in Holland, come over and pick it up at my house. If I had a dog, I'd know where to put it.

And don't get me wrong, I've heard great songs from his, but those were recorded in the far-past.
  2. What about listening to last Chaka Khan's cd?

I did the mistake to buy both, I love these people, but the cds are terrible.

Similar productions :D!
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is why Sly stopped recording. He was such and innovator that he was afraid he wouldn't be able to meet his own standards.

I have GCS2000 also. I'm also extremely disappointed. i think there are two tracks on it that I can listen to.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I suscribe to Bass Player because it is a great source of info. However, to your thread's point, I personally find their music reviews and equipment reviews are too kind. I've never seen them hammer anyone or anything. They have fairly high standards of professionalism but there are tactful ways of telling us when something truly sucks.
  5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Two Bassplayer journalists, coffee-conversation:

"Dude, I have to review this new Larry Graham c.d., and it's bloody bloody awful...what should I do?"
    "Well, you can't write bad things about it, of course."
    "No, heavens no. He's done great things in the past. Let's be nice to him."
    "And I just got this new c.d. from this kid who says he's influenced by Larry Graham, it's really great. Some really inspired playing there..."
    "Well, leave that one out, we need more room to praise about the new Larry Graham album."

And like Josef Stalin said:
    "There are lies,
    There are terrible lies,
    There are statistics,
    And there is Bassplayer magazine."
  6. I agree... I´ve only listened to bits of it on the official page http://www.grahamcentralstation.com or something... and no offense to the man but... I did NOT like it... it´s a sin since I really like what he did with sly... :(

and I also thing bassplayer are too kind... but then again what would happen if they´d talk sh!t about everything that sucks?

they wouldn´t get any sponsors, and no one would buy it.... and in the words of Steve Bailey in his "10 reasons to quit playing bass":
    no. 5: You believe everything you read in BP´s columns. [Bassplayer, January 1999]

7. yet it's also interesting how often someone who gets their album totally slagged off by BP in the "Barbecue Pit" gets interviewed (read-"gets their ass kissed by BP") the next month eg. Greg K, The Offspring.
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah, as if we care what kind of "gear" the dude uses.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've been burned by trusting Bass Player reviews too. The only good thing they ever did was turn me on the Rage Against the Machine waaaaaay before they were popular. So you know that was, what, nearly eight years ago! I only look at names of bands reviewed now to see if they have something new.

But I've been burned by positive reviews in Guitar World and other guitar magazines, even Jazzis and, oh, yeah, blues magazines. And CMT Music Monthly. And Rolling Stone. And Spin. Heck, they are all guilty of that same thing. So are movie critics, too. Seems like sooner or later, they all sell out.

Jason Oldsted
  10. I trusted BP and bought Rob Wasserman's "Trios" album. I really liked his playing on Lou Reed's "Magic & Loss", but this was a huge disapointment.
    but on the other hand, thanks to BP I bought King's X "Dogman" album, and it's one of my favourite albums- amazing bass tones.
  11. Some record stores might,I stress might have some of these cds that are being recommended.If there is a listening booth, that will hopefully give you an opportunity to pre-listen to a potential jewel or a piece of dung.If you can't find a store with that option,then I would strongly suggest going to that particular artist's site and search for a sound bite or a sample of their music.It really sucks when something is hyped and it just simply sucks.CDs aren't cheap and it's not fair to mislead us consumers.BP should give an honest review in spite of the stature of artist.My sympathy to anyone who got ripped off.
  12. Dude, you should check out the Graham Central Station's "Best of Larry Graham and Graham Central Station Vol. 1". It has killer bass lines and pretty cool songs as well. I go to http://www.cdnow.com and listen to the cds before I buy em, and they have a file for almost album out there.
  13. Cool,I lost my stereo and cd collection when I moved back home and Larry G. would be a great way to start it up again.Also,I want to check out some of his videos;I might as well take advantage of vhs before DVD phases it out.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I checked out the new GCS CD on the website. Would have saved me some money if I was so inclined. Larry's been playing that way for years. He seems to see no reason to change anything, after all he's Larry Graham. Some people will love it, some will be bored. SOS but I don't have a problem with it, I just won't buy it or listen to it.

Buying CD's can still be a relatively expensive crapshoot. I've bought a few based on the players involved and they usually sucked harder than anything I could have imagined. Not bad enough to be amusingly bad, just a collection of boring chops. I don't put any stock in a BP music review, just like I don't with gear reviews :D
  15. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I guess there are a few issues here.... As for the BP reviews, ALWAYS take em with a grain of salt as they are heavily influenced on the label or artist.

As for Larry Graham. IMO, that CD was very nice! Obviously, it had some extremely heavy Prince influence, but that is the sound that Larry has these days. (at least til Ronda stepped back in) Larry is into his 50s and is VERY religious, and very much in appreciate of his musical gifts and wanted that CD to reflect his musicial maturity, not a "wanker fest". There is no need for him to "go off" in a triplet flurry. Larry is a musician first, bass player second......and Prince's view of "bass" is BASE. So, many times it's very subtle. I see Larry quite often and 90% of those songs are played with his thumb, but not necessarily "thumb and pluck" style, almost Stingish.....

I'd hang on to that CD, it's definately a keeper.

As for BP....well, I let my subcription run out. It's downright awful these days.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I honestly didn't like the songs. Triplets wouldn't have helped that. At this point I don't expect Larry to do a "Flea" turn, this CD seems like a logical progression. I loved the early stuff but when "My Radio..." and "One in a Million" came around, I left. Actually I wasn't too crazy about much after "Mirror" either.
  17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Willie Dizon...you lost your CD collection? Oh, I would just be beside myself if that happened to me. I hope you were ensured and for replacement cost at that. I just can't imagine having to rebuild my collection of CDs. Well, if I had the money it takes, it would be a good thing, maybe...a chance to buy a lot of new stuff I want and eliminate the CDs I hardly listen to anymore. Good luck rebuilding your collection. What a task!

Jason Oldsted
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jason- What's the "lot of new stuff I want"? You have a lot of basses...an amp that isn't Peavey?
  19. To Jason: You must have one heck of a cd collection!!!I had to move from Maine and there wasn't enough room to take all of my prized possessions on the moving van.Anyways,my stereo and my beloved music were sacrificed so that I could bring some of my bass gear to VA.So, to make a long tangent short,I have to start over...again.And yes,I still continued my BP subscription.(Got to have something to read when you're in the bathroom.)BP still has some uses.At least I can be wary of Larry's cd.
  20. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    All the best at rebuilding your record collection...are you planning on buying the same records you had, or do you see a possibility to widen your music-tastes?