I never played a "Jazz" Bass. Convince me to buy one....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 11, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I never played a Jazz Bass. If it's not a Cort Curbow, it's P Bass knock offs with Seymore Duncan installed P Bass Pick Ups.

I like the simplicity of the P Bass, one tone one volume knob. The Jazz has like three knobs. Plus the P bass came first. Just personal reasons why I'm a P Bass fan, heh, heh.

Anyways, give me some reasons to at least pick up a jazz bass.
  2. With two pickups, the Jazz gives you more tonal versatility while still being very straightforward. The neck is also slimmer than a P-bass neck, making it more comfortable for some people to play. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think the Jazz body shape is it. There's just something about a Jazz bass. I think whatever basses people own over the years, everyone should have a Jazz and a P-bass at some point.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They both have their place, and they're both on my bass stand. They're classics, and have their roles. I dunno why you think the Jazz bass is more complicated because it has one more knob and one more pickup. If you're that set on a single volume knob, switch the setup to a vol/blend/tone. As a P-bass guy myself, I find myself playing my Jazz more than anything lately.

Buy one, you'll love it.
  4. Yup - 3 sounds with the 2 pickups (instead of just 1), thinner neck - it was designed and built after the P-bass...which MUST make it an improvement over the original (it certainly is in terms of tonal variety!) - I think it was DESIGNED as an improvement over a P...mind you I'm biased, I've got 3 of the suckers, all sounding different and all having their place in every genre of music - basically with a jazz you can do ANY type of music using any pickup combination and itll sound GOOD!:)
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've never purchased a FENDER JAZZ BASS either. I have owned a Fender Precision Bass, however. I do remember, approx 20 years ago, walking into Skips Music in Sacremento, & finding this old, beat to hell, Jazz Bass & playing with it.

The neck profile was sooo slick, & neat that I immediately HATED my p-bass. I SHOULD've bought that damn bass, but I was young & had little money & never did buy it.

It was GAS for that Jazz Bass, which caused me to do something really stupid.... like sell the P-bass, & buy an Ibanez Destroyer, which I liked at the time, until the neck warped beyond being adjustable within 1 year.

It was GAS for that old Jazz Bass, which influenced my decision to build a warmoth/usacg, based upon the Jazz Body & Neck.

Thing is, not every bass is right for everyone. If you to be need convinced to buy a bass, then you dont REALLY want it. Do yourself a favor, go to a shop & noodle around with one.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't get it. If you don't want to, why should we try and make you? And if you do want to, why do you need us to convince you?

I really like the simplicity of a P-bass, too. On the other hand, I also like my 6-string, 8-knob, dual pickup plus piezo, three-band EQ with sweepable mids Curbow. No one says you can't like something else just because you like a P-bass...

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I played my P-Bass and nothing but my P-Bass for 13 years... then recently, after a long Jaco listening session I fancied having a Jazz around just for fun... I tried it out at a rehearsal and everyone realised it sounded better than my P-Bass... more low end, more top end and it cut through better than my P-Bass

the wierd thing is, the P-Bass sounds a lot better to my ear when played unaccompanied... the Jazz sounds a bit crappy by comparison... but as soon as the band starts up, the Jazz bass sounds a lot better than any bass i've ever played... very weird.. it's almost like you have to go against your instincts and trust the thing

i'm a convert
  8. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I have a double P bass (see sig) that I played forever, and my bandmates were always telling me to turn down even though I had trouble hearing myself. I'd tried everything with that bass; new strings, different amps, etc. etc. Nothing was working.

Then I got a fretless J and discovered what the problem had been. The Jazz really cuts through the mix far better than I could ever tweak my P to do, and with 2 Ps and an active preamp I had no lack of options to try for a good sound. I still like playing my P by myself because I like the tones I get out of it, but it's being retired from band playing.

End result, I'm now in the market for a nice fretted Jazz because it just plain works better for me in a band situation.

All I can say is "try one in a band situation."
    Borrow one from someone. Get an SX jazz, it'll set you back all of $99. Talk a local retailer into a trial period with a nicer bass.
    Take it to a practice/rehearsal and see if the sound does anything for you. If not, nothing lost. But maybe you'll have the same realization that I did.
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's good advice. I'm never really sure how much I like a bass until I've played it with the band.
  10. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I've brought my jazz bass (fretless none the less) to , classic rock, trash rock, jazz, metal and all sorts of jams and no ones ever had a bad thing to say about my tone.
  11. Sex appeal. Pure, unadulterated "Look at my bass and envy me" sex appeal. A new pearloid-pimped jazz is like Marilyn Monroe, the epiphany of sex and cool.

......Aaaand, an older paint-worn, Bass of Doom-ish jazz is like Tina Turner, defying the laws of time and nature by being so hot and so old at the same time.
  12. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    +1. Pure sex. (and post #1000 for me!)
  13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Why not play a few and form your own opinion?
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    If you are meant to play a jazz bass. Playing one will convince you.

I loved my pbass for a long time, and I still do. I even replaced the p pickup with a quarterpounder, but when I got my jazz, my guitarrists in two different bands immidiately told me that my tone and clarity had improved.
  15. I have both and like them both. The one nice thing about the jazz that I love is its GROWL that you just can't get out of a p-bass. The jazz bass, IMO, has an awesome slap sound. Theres a bunch of other reasons too, but many have already been mentioned.
  16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've actually moved in the other direction. My first Fender was a Jazz, but I've gravitated toward P-basses more and more over time. Despite that, I still view my Jazz as my #1 due to its playability, flexibility, and outstanding tone. (The set of Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz pickups helps there. :) ) As others have mentioned, a good Jazz always works.

Want another reason to get one? Listen to Led Zeppelin II.

By hey, there are many paths to tonal Nirvana, and the P-bass is among the most righteous, so don't sweat it.
  17. Why?

If you must, buy a Dingwall Super J.
  18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Don't buy a Jazz. You're not good enough to play one and the knobs will confuse you. Spare yourself the embarrassment.
  19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    so you can look like 90% of the bassists who post on talkbass
  20. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    LOL +1000.. you're my hero.