Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I never played a "Jazz" Bass. Convince me to buy one....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 11, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I never played a Jazz Bass. If it's not a Cort Curbow, it's P Bass knock offs with Seymore Duncan installed P Bass Pick Ups.

I like the simplicity of the P Bass, one tone one volume knob. The Jazz has like three knobs. Plus the P bass came first. Just personal reasons why I'm a P Bass fan, heh, heh.

Anyways, give me some reasons to at least pick up a jazz bass.

2. With two pickups, the Jazz gives you more tonal versatility while still being very straightforward. The neck is also slimmer than a P-bass neck, making it more comfortable for some people to play. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think the Jazz body shape is it. There's just something about a Jazz bass. I think whatever basses people own over the years, everyone should have a Jazz and a P-bass at some point.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They both have their place, and they're both on my bass stand. They're classics, and have their roles. I dunno why you think the Jazz bass is more complicated because it has one more knob and one more pickup. If you're that set on a single volume knob, switch the setup to a vol/blend/tone. As a P-bass guy myself, I find myself playing my Jazz more than anything lately.

Buy one, you'll love it.

4. Yup - 3 sounds with the 2 pickups (instead of just 1), thinner neck - it was designed and built after the P-bass...which MUST make it an improvement over the original (it certainly is in terms of tonal variety!) - I think it was DESIGNED as an improvement over a P...mind you I'm biased, I've got 3 of the suckers, all sounding different and all having their place in every genre of music - basically with a jazz you can do ANY type of music using any pickup combination and itll sound GOOD!:)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've never purchased a FENDER JAZZ BASS either. I have owned a Fender Precision Bass, however. I do remember, approx 20 years ago, walking into Skips Music in Sacremento, & finding this old, beat to hell, Jazz Bass & playing with it.

The neck profile was sooo slick, & neat that I immediately HATED my p-bass. I SHOULD've bought that damn bass, but I was young & had little money & never did buy it.

It was GAS for that Jazz Bass, which caused me to do something really stupid.... like sell the P-bass, & buy an Ibanez Destroyer, which I liked at the time, until the neck warped beyond being adjustable within 1 year.

It was GAS for that old Jazz Bass, which influenced my decision to build a warmoth/usacg, based upon the Jazz Body & Neck.

Thing is, not every bass is right for everyone. If you to be need convinced to buy a bass, then you dont REALLY want it. Do yourself a favor, go to a shop & noodle around with one.

6. I don't get it. If you don't want to, why should we try and make you? And if you do want to, why do you need us to convince you?

I really like the simplicity of a P-bass, too. On the other hand, I also like my 6-string, 8-knob, dual pickup plus piezo, three-band EQ with sweepable mids Curbow. No one says you can't like something else just because you like a P-bass...

Mike

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I played my P-Bass and nothing but my P-Bass for 13 years... then recently, after a long Jaco listening session I fancied having a Jazz around just for fun... I tried it out at a rehearsal and everyone realised it sounded better than my P-Bass... more low end, more top end and it cut through better than my P-Bass

the wierd thing is, the P-Bass sounds a lot better to my ear when played unaccompanied... the Jazz sounds a bit crappy by comparison... but as soon as the band starts up, the Jazz bass sounds a lot better than any bass i've ever played... very weird.. it's almost like you have to go against your instincts and trust the thing

i'm a convert

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I have a double P bass (see sig) that I played forever, and my bandmates were always telling me to turn down even though I had trouble hearing myself. I'd tried everything with that bass; new strings, different amps, etc. etc. Nothing was working.

Then I got a fretless J and discovered what the problem had been. The Jazz really cuts through the mix far better than I could ever tweak my P to do, and with 2 Ps and an active preamp I had no lack of options to try for a good sound. I still like playing my P by myself because I like the tones I get out of it, but it's being retired from band playing.

End result, I'm now in the market for a nice fretted Jazz because it just plain works better for me in a band situation.

All I can say is "try one in a band situation."
    Borrow one from someone. Get an SX jazz, it'll set you back all of $99. Talk a local retailer into a trial period with a nicer bass.
    Take it to a practice/rehearsal and see if the sound does anything for you. If not, nothing lost. But maybe you'll have the same realization that I did.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's good advice. I'm never really sure how much I like a bass until I've played it with the band.

10. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I've brought my jazz bass (fretless none the less) to , classic rock, trash rock, jazz, metal and all sorts of jams and no ones ever had a bad thing to say about my tone.

11. Sex appeal. Pure, unadulterated "Look at my bass and envy me" sex appeal. A new pearloid-pimped jazz is like Marilyn Monroe, the epiphany of sex and cool.

......Aaaand, an older paint-worn, Bass of Doom-ish jazz is like Tina Turner, defying the laws of time and nature by being so hot and so old at the same time.

12. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    +1. Pure sex. (and post #1000 for me!)

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Why not play a few and form your own opinion?

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you are meant to play a jazz bass. Playing one will convince you.

I loved my pbass for a long time, and I still do. I even replaced the p pickup with a quarterpounder, but when I got my jazz, my guitarrists in two different bands immidiately told me that my tone and clarity had improved.

15. I have both and like them both. The one nice thing about the jazz that I love is its GROWL that you just can't get out of a p-bass. The jazz bass, IMO, has an awesome slap sound. Theres a bunch of other reasons too, but many have already been mentioned.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've actually moved in the other direction. My first Fender was a Jazz, but I've gravitated toward P-basses more and more over time. Despite that, I still view my Jazz as my #1 due to its playability, flexibility, and outstanding tone. (The set of Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz pickups helps there. :) ) As others have mentioned, a good Jazz always works.

Want another reason to get one? Listen to Led Zeppelin II.

By hey, there are many paths to tonal Nirvana, and the P-bass is among the most righteous, so don't sweat it.

17. Why?

If you must, buy a Dingwall Super J.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Don't buy a Jazz. You're not good enough to play one and the knobs will confuse you. Spare yourself the embarrassment.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    so you can look like 90% of the bassists who post on talkbass

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    LOL +1000.. you're my hero.