1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i never thought guitarists could be this bad.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ok so i met a guy the other day and mentioned i play bass and he said that he played guitar so i asked him what style of music he played (hoping that i could get in with another band) and he said he wasnt really sure.

so i asked him a few questions throughout the day, here are a few and his answers:

Q. what kind of guitar do you have?
    A. dunno i just got it from a shop.

Q. what about your amp?
    A. well it just says marshall on the front

Q. are you in a band?
    A. sort of.

Q.why only sort of?
    A. well i never bother playing with them.

Q. do you play finger or pick style?
    A. neither, i cant be arsed get a pick so i just use a coin. (i guessed that meant pick style but those were his words)

so not only does this guy not know what his guitar is, cant be bothered to play in a band, doesnt even realise just how good a marshall amp is, he is even to lazy to buy a pick

:eyebrow: :scowl: :rollno:

i very quickly assesed that i DO NOT want to be playing with this guy. :scowl:

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I used to play my old acoustic guitar with a quarter :smug:

Now I can just use my hardened fingertips just as well.

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Billy Gibbons, the King of Tone, plays with a Mexican peso, or used to.

Try to check out the guy's playing before you dismiss him. I know one amazing guitarist who still doesn't give a toss what gear he's using and doesn't even own a guitar. Just a natural who taught himself, playing along to records at friends' parties. He'll sit in with local bands sometimes and use whatever is available.

4. when i asked him to show me some of his stuff while round his house he kept saying 'mabey later' 'mabey later' :(

5. wimj

wimj

Jul 15, 2007
    Um correct me if I am wrong, but I'd guess that it'd be an MG series if he is as much of a beginner as your post implied. Obviously it could possibly be a JCM800 stack and I could be completely wrong, but if it is an MG a lot of the reviews that I've read on guitar message boards are terrible, for example the distortion is often compared to a 'beehive'.

Like I said though, I could be completely wrong, but generally cheaper Marshall solid state amps aren't very good at all.

6. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    My music major friend who plays alot of that highly technical, european style-death metal www.myspace.com/undertheredflag , he plays with jazz picks and dimes on his Les Paul. Plays it pretty darn good too. (And quite a few guys, from what he said, in the '60's used pennies, small coins, etc. to get a fatter sound.)

As long as the guy's just not lying to you about playing (possible), you may have found THE greatest guitarist on earth...very flexible, doesn't care about gear, and just likes to play. Or he could just not know anything...teach him, control him, make him learn how important the bass is!!! MUWAHAHAHAAH!!

7. muahaha, i might just do that. :p

8. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Precisely what I'm talking about!! Have him listening to Jaco, Jamerson, and Claypool. He'll play the guit like those guys play bass. he'll dedicate all his knowledge to you while you just hold down the low end and he rips it up on the guit!

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And Brian May, no tone slouch himself, played with a coin. I forget which denomination, but it was one of the ones that sounded funny to American ears.

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    lol, that was far from my definition of "highly technical" (not to mention death metal - sounded more like power metal with harsh vocals to me) but nice band anyway :)

11. xifr

xifr

Sep 26, 2006
    Melbourne
    Brian may used a sixpence coin.

Chances are he had an MG, which is the epitome of crap (they sound like cardboard).

12. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    I bet they're worse.

Remember the rule that says there's always someone better than you? Well, I believe the reverse is true. So there's gotta be someone worse than him somewhere. ad infinitum

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Marshall? Boo! Tell him to come back when has a Hughes and Kettner and can play all of John Mclaughlin's parts from "Let us go into the house of the lord" :p

14. update:

i asked him if he wanted to jam and he said ok so earlier i went round to his house with my bass + amp and he had a MG microstack.

you were right it was an MG but it was still loud!

so i got out my bass and plugged in my amp and asked him if he knew many popular songs (thought i may aswell start it off easy and do a cover or something) and he said no... so i thought ok i'll just ask him to make up a chord sequence or something i can jam to.

so i asked him and he said 'umm no i'd rather you did that i'm not very good at it'

so again i thought i'd let him off and made up something simple for him to follow on so i started off with A as the first chord and his reaction was 'how does that one go again?'

ok, i'd had enough, it may have been a bit harsh but i then asked him why he played guitar if he doesnt know an A chord and it was cause his dad wanted him to...

luckily i got a call off one of my other mates to ask if i wanted to come round and i hastily accepted.

i hope i dont get an experience like this again :(

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You will. :rollno: