Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I never thought I'd say this, but I played a Sadowsky...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fealach, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    ... Funny enough, I think it was the one from Craigslist Providence - only it was in a Guitar Center! An MV4, from NAMM 2004, written on the back of the headstock. Sort of a brownish burst. Dots. Blech, I do despise dots.

..any way, it wasn't half bad! Is $1600 steep for this bass? Mint. More than I'd pay, but I don't know if it is collectible being a NAMM bass and all. Nice setup, which I never find in a store! Real nice player, good tone but not my cup of tea, pretty mellow and smooth. The first Sadowsky that impressed me. I must be getting senile.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mint condition? IIRC they're normally $1875 or so new. And a NAMM bass at that.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MV4, thats a Metro right? $1600 mint is a good price if it is indeed new.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If it's in good condition and you can afford it, that sounds like a great deal. I hope you get it. :)

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Used, but like new. Must have hurt somebody to part with. I'm broke, and I hate dots. It's in the North Attleboro Ma Guitar Center if anyone's interested. No doubt it'll soon be up on the wall next to the $2400 and $3K Fenders. Beaten all to hell Fenders, of course.

I wish I could get the dots OUT of some of my basses. It's driving me nuts.

6. Wooohooo! I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow!

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I may beat you there!

8. HA ha,

May the best man win. ;)

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Oh wait... it's a 4-banger. I'll let you have it. I guess I'd go just to see what a real bass looks like on the wall of that particular GC. :smug:

10. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I take it that you are referring to the dots on the face of the fret board? If so, taking them out and replacing them is not a complicated process. On a maple fretboard they can be replaced with maple plugs, you'll still be able to see a circle though. On rosewood, you can install darker dots, which will be less visible than the whitish ones. Simply drill a small hole in the dot, insert a small, fine thread screw and pull the old one out. Glue the new one in. Stew Mac has a nice selection of dots.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey AJ and COF:

If you guys check it out, please take pics and send some my way. I'm interested in this one.

12. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I'm less likely to make it down there tomorrow, as I've got a full day, but I could do it on Saturday... that is if COF doesn't pick it up tomorrow.

13. I was just kidding too. I'm just going to kick it's tires a bit.

:D I never did seen me one of them there Sadowsky's in these here parts before. :D

I'm a little to tapped out right now. I just got my mouse 30, soon after that my washing machine crapped out, and I just picked up a snow blower. Never mind the fall out from Christmas. Oh well, timing is everything. At that price I wouldn't be to surprised if is was gone by tomorrow.

I'll see what I can do.

14. I wonder if it's my old 5 of 10 Namm. I couldn't get a decent set-up without fret buzz. I traded it to a local guy who is very good on the work bench, he couldn't get it dialed in either. He traded it (along with a full disclosure) to a guy in Virginia and he was underwhelmed with the action and playability too!

Of course all this could've been avoided buy simply sending it in to Roger for diagnosis :eek: But that would've been too easy! Let me know if it's 5 of 10 if any of you guys check it out!

15. Hey Nick Man, I got your pictures, I will post them when I get home. Let me know if you want me to email them too.

That is, if you are still interest.........
    OMG! it is the same one.
    Right on the back of the headstock "NAMM 2004" "5 of 10"

There is a buzz on the D string

I'll post more about it when I get home.

16. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Wow... I just got back from GC (I was there at about 2:20PM). I'll let you post the pics, but here are my observations:

1) It is indeed NAMM 2004 #5 of 10.
    2) There is absolutely no relief in the neck... all strings buzz
    3) Weird thing is that the saddles are all the way down., so if you give relief to the neck, the action would be too high, at least for my taste.
    4) It still sounds like a Sadowsky.
    5) Their bottom-line price after complaining that the bass is messed up and needed major work... $1515.00 carry out.

If you're interested, call 'em up, and tell them you were in earlier, and give them a CC number to hold it, if they'll do that.

Good luck.

In other news, I tried out a few off the rack basses, and the best one I tried out of:

1) Cort Curbow 5-string
    2) Fender Marcus Miller 4
    3) Ibanez Soundgear 756 (or somthing)
    4) Ibanez BTB1206
    5) OLP Stingray

... the Ibanez BTB1206E. I couldn't really stand the others. The Fender was ok, but the Geddy is way better IMO.

17. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    One more weird thing... when I brought the bass over to the register where the sales guys usually hang out, the first thing the manager said to me is "Yeah, that guy does that to all his basses...". I guess someone (M. Perry or something) supposedly lets all the relief out of his neck and puts the saddles to the base of the bridge, and trades them in to GC. Yeah... I believe that.

18. That bass never played right. I'm not an expert but I can set up my basses. Not only is it impossible to get decent action with an "acceptable" amount of fret buzz but the string tension is unusally tight. I tried a few brands because I know DR's feel a little tighter then say DAdarios. Plus we found a few high frets. I'm tellin' you it ain't no player period! I now play a Fender Victor Bailey J w/ Sadowsky electronics and it SMOKES it.

19. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I agree...

Neck is almost backbowed + Saddles pegged to the base = Unplayable with correct amount of relief

I did forget to mention the frets need leveling. Thanks for reminding me. The thing about this NAMM bass, and I'm merely speculating is that it's one of 10 of the first Metros built (besides maybe a couple of first protos). Maybe they got caught up in the rush to get the NAMM stuff done and a couple of corners were cut (uncharacteristically of Roger) for this batch. It's a long shot, but it's the best cause I can fathom for it's condition. This bass probably needs the neck replaced.

20. Yep, and it only took me $2,175. to find that out :scowl: As I said I shoulda sent it back to Roger. That was my first new high end(?) bass purchase so I wasn't even thinking about the fact that he would've stood behind it. I thought I got had. I took it to a friend and he agreed it was less then straight but he thought he could fix it so we worked out a nice trade for it.