Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I never thought I'd say this: I wish Ibanez would make...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 3, 2005.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... their Artcore semi-hollowbody basses in five string versions. Really.

I spent a little time with one at GC, and was actually fairly impressed. It's the single HB, I'm sure.

I would give serious thought to getting one!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive found some recent success with Ibanez lately as well. As mentioned , mainly the SR 3000E model caught my eye and was interesting to play. My new Sterling smokes it (Amen) but it wasnt a bad bass, better than any Ibanez id played before.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You know, it's a little surprising to realize just how many props Ibanez gets these days. Older guys (like me) can clearly remember when Ibanez was the rip-off king ....

Just like you, Heavy, I never thought I'd see the day when ads for cheap basses would have statements like "Looks just like an Ibanez ..." or "Compare this to Ibanez ..."

My God, I even own an Ibanez (oh, the horror of it all! :eek: ) and I love it!!! And I play it all of the time:scowl: !! Instead of my (God forgive me) Fender!!!!! :crying:

4. That bass is awesome. It felt good right away and kept me occupied for awhile without even plugging it in.

I wish it didn't have an MM pup, but it sounded great. The Artcore did not look feel, play, nor sound like a $350.00 bass.

Five-string would be nice. I would be satsified with a fretless and a couple of singlecoil PUPs.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really dig the AGB140, the singlecut version. I was seriously contemplating getting it for a while. It rocks surprisingly hard for $300 or whatever it is, and has a great look, what with the dark brown and all.

6. I seems that the tree of Ibanez which was planted long, long ago is starting to bear fruit. ;)

Mike

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sometimes the fruit is good, and sometimes it tastes like dirty feet.

8. WELL !!! I NEVER !!! :D

Musiciansfriend doesn't stock the EDA905 anymore, but it's still listed at the Ibanez site. www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

I wonder if they're to be discontinued?

On a darker note: my e-mail notification isn't working. :( I'll have to check it out.

Mike

9. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    Had it for some weeks now..No quality issues whatsoever (other than dump the addarios clangy strings)..Put on some used strings for that vintage vibe.

BUT when I bought it the shop had to order a new one for me as the one they had in display the electronics was bogged.. Noisy as hell..

Ø.

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I tried one of those artcore hollowbodies and it was quite nice, especially for it's price. Another Ibanez I really liked was SRX400

It's their 4 stringer with a musicman style pickup. It sounded really good. If it had been a 5 string, I would have picked it up since it was under $500 and Stingrayish :)

Been wanting to try a SRX505 or SRX705NT but the shop hasn't gotten either one in.

11. Back when Ibanez was making their own designs and pre Soundgear, BTB, RBX, ABC, FBI and all the myriad of lines they've had since, they made stellar instruments. One only has to look at the almost "holy grail" like popularity of the Musician series to see what I mean. I had one and am constantly looking to replace it. The ATK's are great, the old Roadstars with the Musician style bound body were good instruments, or how about the old "Beans". They made a lot of good instruments.

I, too, tried that single cutaway Artcore and really liked it. It'd be wicked cool with a birdseye top!