Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I no longer have a fretted bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Now that my CAR VV5 is on it's way to the warmer climates of California, all I have is my SC fretless which has a truly blessed, deep, rich, voice. I have not played an instrument that looked or sounded quite as good as this.

I'm having a new neck built for my natural ash VV5 that will go from a maple board to an unilned rosewood board. It is on it's way back to Chris now for the sex-change. I'm looking forward very much to getting it back.

This leaves me with no speedbumps for the first time since I began playing. :cool:

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    What made you go commando entirely?

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You'll be associating with those skeezy upright players. Watch yourself.

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm playing more for fun now than anything. As badly as I want some sort of band, I really don't have time for it at the moment and I just enjoy playing fretless more. I think part of me always did enjoy it more but I never had the cajones to really go for it. I am not worried about the perceptions of others (read bandmates, or worse yet, potential bandmates etc.) at the moment and decided to go for what I want. I'm not saying I don't like fretted or that I won't have another one. It's just not something I truly need and I'm just trying to free myself of some of the conventions that I found somewhat restricting in the past.

I think by going sans-fretted for the time being, I'll also force myself head-first back into more of the sublte nuances of fretless and not have to have some nagging thought in the back of my head that I'm neglecting my fretted bass(es). I think that after a while when I eventually get back into fretted, my LH technique will only have improved.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Wilby,
    Check out my profile on areas of instruction... Take me above the first seven notes on any given string on an upright and I'm done for! :help: :rolleyes:

6. Congrats on going full on F-LESS!!!!! I played f-less exclusively for about four years and I LOVED IT!!!! I dig your areas of instruction, funny stuff.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    congrats! my fretted 51 was the first fretted I've owned since 95 and since my fretless 6 has arrived it hasn't left the house :bassist: