Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I now have a Ramp!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NJL, Mar 5, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Took me about an hour.... cost me $6 + tax for the wood and $2 for the double sided tape.

Here it is (yes this is a lefty, no it's not a lefty MM, i had this done on my own):

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    One more:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    The ramp does play better than it looks!! :D

The biggest test will be at a gig....

4. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Is the surface of your ramp curved to the same radius or at least close to the fretboard radius? Mine's flat, and is closer to the outer strings and further away from the middle strings.
    Kinda wondering how i could overcome this

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mine's flat (like my pickups)....

go to stewmac.com or warmoth.com and find a radius block (you'll need to figure out the radius on your neck) and go from there...

i was thinking about doing that, but i just finished the project tonight and have been having a blast on a night off! :)

you may want to check this out if you haven't already garywillis.com... he had Bartolini design a curved pup for his upper end basses...

:)

6. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    While the Stewmac blocks are nice to carry in your toolkit, you can make one pretty easily. Its hard (and expensive) to find a compass that will do a 20 inch radius, but it's easy to make one. Put a loop in a piece of stiff string. (Heavy waxed thread works well.) Put the point of a pencil in the loop. Measure out the radius you want and tack the string to a board. You can now draw a pretty accurate sector of a circle. Put a few common radii on stiff paper or thin cardboard - cut them with an exacto knife, and you are good to go for measuring fretboards of setting bridges.

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool!

Very nice!

Uh...what is it for?

No, seriously...what's it for?

:meh:

Joe.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  9. Thanks for the info. Very informative.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    BTW, cute doggie (your avatar)! the family next door to me has one similar!

11. That's my Buddy! :hyper:

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice mods on your bass (both ramp and MM) :cool:

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I made on too today, well actually a beta version, but it's a great help I have to say, before the ramp I was able to pull off Parallel Universe by RHCP, but with difficulties, now it goes smooth and easy!

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
  15. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hey I am getting an itch to create a ramp too, I cant seem to find the radius blocks on stewmac.com or warmoth.

Is it in the neckwood sections? :confused:

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hmmm....

good question.... i know in the stewmac book that i had, it was in there, but that was a while back....

try the fretting area on the websites, should be there