Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I now own a G&L L2500!!! Yahh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trent-35, Apr 20, 2001.

1. I finally got one! After months of shopping around. Got the bass with a gig bag for under 700.00. Honey colored. Seems truly awesome. it arrived in 1 day! I wish i had my amp here to plug it in, but my amp stays at my gig. I'll get it plugged in tomorrow. I do have a few questions about them. By the way, the search old threads deal on here is cool!
    Do some L2500's come with a string thru body and others don't? Mine is thru the bridge only.
    I took the 9 volt out to test it, it was real hard to get out of that compartment. I don't want to have to pull on those cap wires too much. Is it normal for the battery to be that snug in there?
    There is a slight, yet annoying, string buzz on the fret on the D string only from the E note thru the Bb. Would this more likely be an action or a truss deal?
    As for the toggles/knobs. What are the advantages of playing in series or parallel modes? Parallel is the middle toggle towoards the neck correct?
    On the passive/active toggle, is towoards the bridge setting passive? Of course, i guess i'll easily be able to tell the terble boost active setting huh? Who would want that much treble?
    Seems like alot of guys don't like using both PU's on at once. Has that been your experience with this bass?
    Anyhow, thanks for letting me babble, can't wait to play it tomorrow! Trent

2. I would like to congratulate you for picking up that L-2500. They're extremely versatile, as I'm sure you'll find out once you plug it into your amp. As for the string through body, I'm not totally sure about that. I bought a brand new L-2500 in February, and it has string through body. My guess would be that some of the older models don't have it. Anyone with more info?

I believe the middle switch toward the neck is series, and towards the bridge is parallel. I don't know that there's necessarily any concrete advantage to playing in one over the other, but there certainly is a difference in tone. You'll hear it for sure. You are correct on the active/passive toggle. The middle setting there is preamp on, and the neck setting is preamp on with treble boost.

Maybe I'm the only person with this opinion, but I personally love the sound of this bass with both pickups! This bass is so versatile, you'll find every combination of setting has a distinct tone. Some of them aren't really useful, but I think you'll find uses for a lot of them.

I don't know a whole lot about setup, but I would say if you're only getting buzz on the D-string it would probably be an action issue. Look into getting the bass professionally setup. You will be glad you did.

If you've got the capacity, I'd love to see some pictures. I've still go to get the pics of my L-2500 developed, and I'll scan them in when I get that done. Also, if you would like me to scan in the control diagram that tells you what all of the knobs and switches do, I would be glad to do so. I'm sure you can probably figure it out though (seems like you pretty much already have).

If you're looking for specific info on that bass or any G&L instrument, either post here or check out www.guitarsbyleo.com. That site is a G&L tribute page and it has tons of info.

Once again, congrats on the new bass. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do some L2500's come with a string thru body and others don't? Mine is thru the bridge only. <b>Yes. The newest ones have both options. They started doing that a few years ago.</B>

I took the 9 volt out to test it, it was real hard to get out of that compartment. I don't want to have to pull on those cap wires too much. Is it normal for the battery to be that snug in there?<b>Yeah. I had one too & it was really tight. You should have a problem because batteries last a real long time in basses.</B>

There is a slight, yet annoying, string buzz on the fret on the D string only from the E note thru the Bb. Would this more likely be an action or a truss deal? <b>Hard to tell unless I see the bass</B>

As for the toggles/knobs. What are the advantages of playing in series or parallel modes? Parallel is the middle toggle towoards the neck correct?<b>I's the middle switch but I forgot which setting is which.</B>

On the passive/active toggle, is towoards the bridge setting passive? Of course, i guess i'll easily be able to tell the terble boost active setting huh? <b>Yeah, it's reall bright wh it on.</B>Who would want that much treble?

Seems like alot of guys don't like using both PU's on at once. Has that been your experience with this bass? <b>When I had it. I used it both p/u on preamp on w/no bright & Parrell(I think)</B>

I have an L-2000 & an L-5500 & think that G&L's are the besy production (non custom) bass!!! You got a really good deal @ 700 bucks. Good luck & enjoy.

4. Trent, You'll find out about the switches when you have a chance to experiment, or call G&L. The battery compartment in my Musicman is like that too- It's OK. I don't think they come with through stringing.
    Have your bass set up at the shop, you may have a high fret, but it probably is an adjustment. There is sure to be a thread on this.Somewhere.Try G&L web site.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    hey guy's how does the G&l compare to lakland's?in term's of playibility and sound.

6. Ah yes, that's a mighty fine looking bass indeed! Mine is almost identical except for it doesn't have the honeyburst finish. It's just completely natural ash with the same basic grain pattern as yours. Also mine has the 3+2 tuner configuration indicative of the newer L-2500s.

I don't know much about how they would compare to a Lakland. I would venture to say that the G&L is probably more versatile than the Lakland, but the Lakland is probably a bit cleaner in the sound department. G&L basses are fairly noisy, making them difficult to record with. I've not had the opportunity to play many big name basses like Laklands because I haven't been able to find any really good music shops in the area. Anyone from the Kansas City area know of a good music store?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They're different;)

I have an oooold L2000Ewhich probably puts out as big a signal as I've seen, next to my 78 Tobias (3 9v batteries :eek:

It's capable of more drastic sonic changes than my Lakland and is one of the punchiest basses in existence IMO. The neck's comfortable, I love the electronics and don't seem to have any hum problems.

The Lakland is an effortless player, also very flexible (active passive, coil taps on the bridge Bart MM, 3 band EQ, excellent neck).

They're both Fender Jazz style basses but they both carve out their own space.

They're different.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Nice buy, have fun with it.

Here's a schematic for the controls:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/PICS/HOWTO/83BSINS1.JPG

Here's one on recommended setup:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/PICS/HOWTO/83BSINS2.JPG

Both schematics are old and for the L-2000, but mostly everything in there is valid. Only thing missing might be the clearance on the B's bridge saddle since the manual only covers the 4-string.

I've found that some of their setup is useful, but not all of it. I agree with the starting points for the bridge saddles, but that does not mean that will be their final resting place.

I adjusted the truss such that I dialed in maybe 3/4-1 turn form the full relief position give or take a tweak. I made some final adjustments for height and intonation, and everything was cool after it settled in.

I have L-2000's. I don't have an L-2500, but I think I am going to get one this year. Good luck with your new bass.

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    thank's brad,ooohh i played a spector yesterday the one with the pup's configuration like lakland's,
    with the aguilar obp-1,man it FUNKIN ROCKED.
    nino-brown where you at bro?when i say like lakland's i'm talking j,mm pup's.

10. It was GREAT! lol The G&L L2500 is a true monster, and i see why so many rave about it now. The band really loved it. It's really a beautiful instrument too. The neck was somewhat wider that i'm used to, but it felt very comfortable to me. The setting i found i like best was both PU's on, Series mode(towoards the neck), and active. I ran the bass and treble knobs wide open, though it seemed like they had a cut/boost quality to them in active mode when set closer to the middle. Am i just crazy there? They were a bit hard to control in the middle, so i ran em on full and loved the sound there. I ran the volume on about 3/4. I like to run a bass on volume 10 and let the amp do the work, but i swtich often between that and my acoustic bass and don't have time for amp adjustments between songs, so i had to run it on 3/4 volume to make it about even volume wise with the other bass.
    The only problem i had was during reherasal after switching basses, the G&L was taking several seconds to come "on" in active mode after plugging it in, then it made a crackling/frying sound. It was fine when i switched it to passive. I tapped on the back and it would go in and out. It turns out there was a wire problem on the cap where you plug the 9 volt it. The steel player is the "fix it" guy in the group, but didn't have any of those little caps with him. We then did what men do, we used a piece of tape and ran it "redneck". lol Just wrapped a piece of tape tightly around the top of the battery, and it worked perfect after that. I told him if i had any problem with it during the show i'm just gonna run passive for the night, but it turns out i didn't have to. We're going to get it fixed right this week. Trent

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Trent,

How do you like the B string on it? Is it tight? Is the response balanced?

Thanks,
    Seamus

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice bass Trent.

That is one the things that is on my "gotta get one" list. But I am having a custom Pushic made first, so the G&L is gonna have to wait.

Ryan

13. I loved the B on it myself. I wouldn't call it tight, but i had no problem with it, others may have. Don't know. The tone of the B was awesome. I don't play a whole lot below the E on it, but used the low D a few times, and the low C a little with great results. The only thing i didn't like was the tone of the B open. There was a song in B that i tried to play the string open for a big low last note, sounded bad to me. But i'm not the biggest fan of open string notes anyhow. Trent