I now understand....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Apr 6, 2005.

1. wow... after almost 20 years of playing, i get it. I am in the process of getting a Mesa 400+ and have been playing it for a couple of nights now. TUBE = BASS. i now understand "growl" and "bite", most importantly "warmth". any SS or tube preamp + SS will not equal what these do. unreal!!!!

anyone else realize they were sloppy as heck after playing an all-tube rig for an extended (days) period of time? but, did i find it easy to adapt and USE it... dynamics take on a whole new meaning. just wanted to share!!!
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I know what you mean. I just got the chance to try out a blue face SVT for a few days. I've never heard my playing sound like THAT before. :cool:

I'll be a tube guy 'til my back gives. :smug:
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Stop feeding my G.A.S.. heheh.

I desperately want a Bass 400+ or Sunn 300T..
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Now if only those transformers didn't weigh a freakin' ton... :(

With my middle-aged, too-long-at-my-desk back, I'll stick to solid state, thanks.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got half a dozen tubes in my preamp, and don't have a problem with a tube power section, I'm just too cheap. I'd love to give a Mesa tube head a whack, though.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yup. I got me a 400+ too. It's a whole different ballgame now. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it. Especially now that Bob at Eurotubes sent me a matched/balanced set of 12AX7S's to me. The amp sounded great before but now its more balanced across the tonal range, if possible, has more volume...and really woke the amp up and provided for increased playing dynamics from whisper to bass bomb. He's promised me that once he does the power tubes that's when I'll really be happy.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Was the the previously mentioned SVT that had been mouldering in the back of a shop?
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Why not go for a Fender Bassman 300 Pro? Same head, same company.
  9. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Wow, you're really getting the most out of her, huh? :D Let me know how it sounds with the new power tubes.

Get the 400+. You won't regret it. ;) I'm starting to miss mine, 'cause the only other amp I want costs twice as much.
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hmmmm... is it possible that you miss the 400+ cuz I talk about it so much. ;)

Yeah, I broke down and talked with Bob last week...I'm sure the big box o' tubes is full of good ones, but I decided that a solid, well matched set wouldn't be a negative, right?

When I emailed my observations to him he seemed to think that its possible that the 4 mismatched preamp tubes might have been causing phase problems. Either way, it sounds great now.
  11. the rig i'm in the process of purchasing has REALLY old tubes in it, which is why i'm getting a great deal. my buddy doesn't want to put the time/$$ into replacing them. Ican't wait to hear how that sounds. i need to get a link to a manual or something because i want to know how to really get the most out of this 400+.
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Bass 400 Plus.pdf

Unfortunately, it's light on tech talk.
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: My first amp was an Ampeg Fliptop.... I hated everything about it. since retiring it in 1982 I've played 100% Solid State. Quick, Punchy, etc.

It wasn't untill 2002 I realized what I've been wanting / missing was the openness and looseness of a Tube Power Section

I'm a believer too :cool:

Actually I found it took me a few hours to learn how to play a tube head. It is such a living breathing thing. Along with the dynamics, Man, the 3 dimensional quality of the tone through a mess of tubes is unreal.
  14. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Just curious, how many rack spaces are those 400+?
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I believe it's a 4U monster. But hey.... at least it'll stand out a lot :cool:
  16. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Wait until you put the JJ power tubes in there, you think it sounds good now NOTHING will compare to it. The sheer volume it'll put out will blow your pants off. I can't get it past 3 in my house with the gain at 5. Honestly, it's so loud I almost can't use it because the places we play are too small for it's power. And when you crank it it REALLY opens up and roars. Around 5 is where it hits its stride and just screams for days on end. Clean, no distortion, just punch. You'll wonder what the hell took so long to drop in the JJ's and why anyone uses cheap crappy tubes. It's like heaven for a bass.
  17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Heh. I can buy that. I've only had the head for a few weeks...and even though it came with 2 extra sets of pre tubes, I contacted Bob pretty quickly. All of my knob tweaking has stopped. Just changing out the pre's to JJ's upped the volume...I had been practicing with the master at around 4 and the pre's around 2 (both channels running signal). and now I've turned it down to 2 and 2. I can get a lot more dynamic in my playing, depending on my right hand pretty exclusively.

The only thing that's stopping me from ordering the power tubes right now is that I REALLY want a Schroeder 1210 and since in the past few months I've bought a 400+, an Avatar SB112, a PRS bass and also re-loaded the speakers in my 4x10, I'm not exactly flush with funds.
    The four gigs I have in the next week and a half should help to take care of things...
  18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes. I found this too when I got my 400+. I bought it on a saturday (12+ hours of driving to pick it up!), and spent all day on sunday in our practice room getting aquainted with it. Even then, it was 2 or 3 band practices before I really felt I had a feel for how to 'negotiate' with it for the sound I wanted.

Without getting jingoistic about things, it sounds organic and mulit-dimensional. I feel that part of the volume difference between tube and solid state come from the thickness of tubes...there's a aural density to the tone that really works.
  19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Im putting one in for the 300T. Great tube amp, Hi-Fi when you need it yet warm, grindy and overdriven when you are rocking out :bassist: . The Mesa 400+ is great too, but I like the 300T better, just a personal choice. Someone just gave me an offer for a 300T for just above $750 a few minutes ago if anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address.
  20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What's a 300T need to get changed to 240 Volt?

I may be able to pick up a 300T over here, if not, i'l be getting a 400+ from the US i think. I was told by Mike at Mesa in the US that all it needed was a wire/tap to be moved to a different spot, now i'm been told by the Mesa distributor guys over here that it needs a new transformer :( Transformers are around $600 plus labour and shipping, it ends up been about $900-$1000 to get it converted. As long as I can find a cheap 400+ or 300T with good tubes in the states, it could work out allright..