I $old some stuff and got this nifty, beat up Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well I sold off some of my old guitar stuff, today. Whew! It's crazy what they will pay for that old stuff.

This is a '63 Precision in candy apple red. Gosh this thing plays like a dream and it sounds fantastic through some super amplification. This thing sure cops the 60's Mussle Shoals/Motown vibe.:D I'm a real happy camper.
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    great bass, man!
  3. do i see Mr.P 2nd edition there ? :D
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry dude, but it sucks!

But tell you what, since I'm in a good mood as I just got a summer job, ship it my way and I'll dispose it for free ;)
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Woohoo! Sweet! It oozes character...
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thump away, my low end brother!!!!
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Speechless.... :eek:
    I want it!!
  8. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    great bass. i love the candy apple red :D
  9. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Love the bass. Is that a pre-CBS? I never get the year right when CBS took over. Is it too rude to ask how much?
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I believe that CBS took over in 1967.

That bass is awesome. I should sell my old Kramer Baretta. I never I mean never play it.
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    1965, I think.

12. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Nice! Original paint job? How much did you pay?
  13. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd say you've got yourself a piece of history.

Awesome bass.
  14. Looks GREAT! If I had the money, I would start looking for something that nice myself :)
  15. Forty years later and it looks EXACTLY the same as the new models. I wonder how many other product designs can claim such longevity.
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, not EXACTLY....

The new models don't have that cover over the bridge, nor do they have a cover over the pickup. But your point is well taken. A proven design by the genius of Leo.
  17. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I always thought it was '64 that Fender was bought by CBS.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    From the picture, the bass appears to be an older refin., if not original. The case looks correct for a '63, which should have an L series number on the neck plate. CBS took over Fender in January of 1965 although many collectors consider all L series basses to be "pre-CBS." This would obviously include some '65's. The bass should have clay dot markers on the neck and the old "spaghetti" logo on the headstock to be authentic for a '63.

If it's an older refin (which I suspect) it would be worth between $1500 and $2K. If it's all original, possibly twice that. Prices are rising steadily on pre-CBS P basses these days.

In any case, it's a nice score. Congrats!
  19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, it's an original finish. As well as being 100%. I need to get photos of the back. The whole upper horn is missing it's paint. The guy that sold it to me thought that it was missing it's finish there was because some bass player wearing gold chains and medallians. A good portion of the finish is missing off of the back of the neck, also. Oddly enough it feels very close to the finish that Dan Lakin has on the back of the American Laklands.

I also got the chrome bumper that goes over the pickup. I took it off because this bass is still a player. In fact I'm going to play it tonight. It does also have the spaghetti logo and the clay dots. My picture of that didn't come out. Boogiebass nailed the asking price but I traded some pre-CBS amp and an early Gibson ES-335 plus a bit of cash for it.

It's so very light weight but seems to vibrate forever when a string is plucked. You can say that I'm full of $**t but I think that it plays every bit as nicely as the Fodera Monarch that I played several months ago. But the tonal range is limited compared to the Monarch.

Now if only I could play like Mr. Jamerson and Rocco. :(
  20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what makes you suspect its an older refin?