1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I only have $1500 to spend and I really need some advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RemoteOutpost, Dec 6, 2019.

1. RemoteOutpost

RemoteOutpost

Dec 5, 2019
    I don't have anywhere near the experience that most of you guys have so I figure why not just ask you all. What brand new amp and cabinet would you buy with $1500USD, knowing what you know, that could hang with a loud metal band with one guitarist and one drummer, at rehearsals and medium sized indoor/outdoor shows? I know buying used would be the best option for most people and that I may be limiting myself by buying new but that's just where I'm looking right now. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer a noobish question, I appreciate it a lot. EDIT: I should leave the caveat that spending all the money is not something I necessarily want to do. If I can get by with less, I will happily do so. Ideally I would keep it $1000 or less but I will spend a little more if it will make a real difference.

Deitz likes this.
  2. For $1,500, one would think they could get a pretty killer setup - but man, the prices of new gear is crazy!

I don’t play metal - so someone else will be along soon to chime in. I was thinking an 8x10 cab for $1,000 - but the only ones I found were Ashdown. Not sure they would be up to the task.

Maybe try Avatar? Haven’t looked at their prices lately.

There’s the Ampeg 410HLF - but that’s still near $900 (check for coupons - should be able to get 15% off but then add in sales tax and in some cases shipping too, depending where you live). Not sure the Ampeg would be enough - and used those cabs are half that price.

As for a head - again, fighting to find something in the remaining budget. I would be tempted to get a bass preamp and a separate 1,200 watt power amp. The power amps are cheap these days and you’d have some flexibility with cab choices and future-proofing your setup. (Ie, if the amp has stereo channels that can each handle a 4 ohm cab, you can start with one 4 ohm cab now and add a second one later. Most bass heads won’t handle two 4 ohm cabs.)

I’ll keep looking. Good luck. Maybe a metal bassist will come along soon and weigh in.

RemoteOutpost likes this.
  3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Take a look at Fender. If you want to move a ton of air, check out a Rumble 800 and a couple 4x10’s.

If you should decide to consider used stuff, then take a look at GK. My 1001RB-II and NEO 412 can easily overpower my drummer and guitarists in a loud situation.

G-Dog, 6tzguy, SwitchGear and 5 others like this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    "I only have $1500 to spend and I really need some advice."
    I'll give you some advice for $1200

5. Ok - Avatar Deltalite II. On sale for $539. Not sure about shipping. Handles 1,000 watts. 4 ohm cab. I’d try to get two of these and then a stereo power amp and a preamp. That’s just my 2 cents. If there’s tax and shipping, two cabs might push you past $1,200 already, and you wouldn't have the budget for a preamp.

B410 DeltaLite II SPECIAL – Avatar Speakers

McG, aprod and RemoteOutpost like this.
  6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Another idea: Two Hartke 1x15 bass cabs, LH500 head. Learn the tone stack and you're in. Also check Galien Krueger.

Deitz, chris_b, BOOG and 2 others like this.
  7. 46and2

46and2

Nov 12, 2017
    Why exactly do you have to buy new gear? I got a Mesa Subway D-800 head and 2 GK CX210 cabs for under $1100 used. If that can't keep up with a metal band, something is wrong.

8. RemoteOutpost

RemoteOutpost

Dec 5, 2019
    I had never even heard of Avatar, thanks for the lead man this is really cool.

Raulplaysbass and McG like this.
  9. RemoteOutpost

RemoteOutpost

Dec 5, 2019
    I'm just saying humor me is all. Nice that you grabbed that gear for that price. What did you pay in shipping because the shipping prices on reverb bring the cost to near new prices half the time.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!

No matter how remote your outpost is, there's an Ampeg fridge (8-10 speaker cab) for sale near you for cheap. Buy it (assuming all the speakers work) and then come back and tell us how much you have left.

11. 46and2

46and2

Nov 12, 2017
    Fair enough. $20 shipping the head, the cabs were on Craigslist so I drove ~1 hour each way to get them.

RemoteOutpost likes this.
  12. RemoteOutpost

RemoteOutpost

Dec 5, 2019
    Just found one for $699 listed in excellent condition, didn't take long to find it so thanks for getting me to look in that direction. For your dollar what you do put on top of this monster, used or new either way.

13. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    For 1500 you should be able to get used gear (in perfectly fine condition) that would cost 2500-3000 new. Go with used.

14. 1. How big is your vehicle?
    2. How strong is your back?

That is the deciding factor...

Don Weirens, amper, fretter and 8 others like this.
  15. When someone specifies it has to be new, then I take it they’ve considered the cheaper used route already and have ruled it out for their own reasons.

Maybe someone is planning to take advantage of 24 month financing to afford the rig, or has been burned by a used amp in the past that broke and cost more to fix than to just buy a new one. Or maybe they sleep better knowing the gear has a warranty and hasn’t been in a decade long abuse tour.

In theory, new gear should last longer and should be trouble free - compared to a random sampling of used gear. Also new gear is easy to buy - you find the web page and click “buy”. Used gear you have to first find the obscure cabs people recommended, and then find one in good condition and then figure out how expensive shipping would be.

Bottom line - he’s asking for advice on new gear. Personally, I’ve got less than $1,500 in my Aguilar stack that would have been $3k new. But it also took years to put together finding the cabs I wanted locally.

Nathan Peck likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Offer them $600 and tell them you'll come get it. Often not having to load it up and transport it will save you a few bucks.

(Again, assuming everything works.)

ELG60 and lomo like this.
  17. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Just get a 500w head and a used hartke 410 XL. Those aluminum cone cabs are metalicious.

You can get a used gk700rb, a rumble 800, a new markbass big bang, and find the cab for 250 used. This is a LOUD combination.

You could get the fridge, but idk that's a classic sound like before metal was ferocious.

Bassdirty, swink and simalex like this.
  18. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    There are some incredible cabs available CHEAP because they are yesterdays superstars and not today's featherlight 'carry 2 with 1 hand' models. I see Eden, Ampeg, tons of peavey, Genz, etc for sale in my local CL ads. If you were near me I would GIVE you enough cabs to meet your needs. For amplification, grab a used D-800. Rock on.

19. How much is size/weight and ease of transport a factor for you? If they are not a big deal, you can get a kick ass rig used for probably $700 to $800 easy. If it is a big deal the price goes up significantly.

simalex and lomo like this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like Ampeg and Hartke stuff

EatS1stBassist likes this.