1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I ordered a Custom bass, What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gougedeye, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    So, I ordered a custom Bluesman Vintage DeVille. It is a 5 string P-style with thunderbird pickups and a 35" scale neck with a bound and blocked rosewood board. Other than that, it is all standard stuff they do. I ordered this bass and placed a deposit on July 9th and was told the build time would be 12-20 weeks and possibly a 2 week delay for the neck. I'm fine with the build time. My issue is I've contacted them 2 times since, once the first part of September and then a couple of days ago to inquire about any updates on the build. Being that we are 17 weeks into this process, I thought they may have a pic or 2. Am I just getting antsy and need to slow my roll or should I be more forceful? I want to EMPHASIZE, I am in no way upset at this point. I really am more curious than anything else. Any body out there have experience with Bluesman Vintage that might be able to shed some light? Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. My guess, from being a construction Production Mgr., is that they wouldn’t start building your bass till around now any way. They may have bodies in stock. But I’m curious if they sub out the neck building. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are waiting for a sub/ supplier to finish the neck to put it all together. It might all come together the last week.

saabfender, bolophonic and scuzzy like this.
  3. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Really!? I guess I really have no idea how production works...I thought different builds would get some attention all along the production process. Patience is easy to talk about, but difficult to have.

kesslari and gebass6 like this.
  4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I used to work for a custom shop guitar and bass manufacturer and am endorsed by another one right now. I can’t speak to the company in question, because I don’t know their processes. With the company that I am endorsed by, everything is built in house. The only thing he purchases from outside vendors is electronics, hardware, and cases.

He always send customers pics of their instruments in production.

Delays do happen but with him, he will always let a customer know why and then keep them in the loop on everything.

Sometimes there are unexpected back orders on wood, inlay material, and even electronics and hardware.

If this company quoted you up to 20 weeks, or possibly 22 weeks, if there are neck delays, then contact them at 20 weeks, if they have not reached out to you already.

When you gave them a deposit and placed your order, did they say or agree to sending you picks along the way? If so, then ask for those things. If they didn’t agree to that or say they would, they may not have taken any pics. I’ve heard that some manufacturers don’t like sending pics or doing anything communication wise with the customer, until the build is finished. I know even mass produced companies won’t send production photos. For example, when I used to play Music Man basses and ordered any limited run piece, I was sent nothing until the bass was finished. It wasn’t until the dealer received it that I found out it was finished.

Anyway, I hope all the best for you. I know waiting sucks because your excited about your new build. Hopefully, your wait will be over soon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Kirk Bryant, saabfender and Gougedeye like this.
  5. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Thanks. This helps. I know I'm just chomping at the bit. I'm think I'm going to just let this process play out. It does no good to get all jacked up about something I have zero control over...I feel confident Bluesman will deliver an awesome instrument, when its ready.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Bassist Jay likes this.
  6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I wasn’t meaning to imply they wouldn’t. So I hope I didn’t come off that way. I was just trying to give you insight on how a few places work and what can cause delays on occasion.

I’m looking forward to seeing you post pics, when the bass is finished.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I can only dream of 12-20 weeks. I'd say you're too antsy.
    My last three basses were 19-20 month builds. I say let them be and try to forget about it. It'll be done before you know it.

gebass6 and graphics1988 like this.
  8. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I hope you knew this going in! There is no way in hell I could wait that long for a bass. Besides I was quoted 12-20 weeks, not months...I don't really mind if it takes a bit longer. I'm not really unreasonable and I understand things happen. I am really just curious. It seems most of the build threads I read, the maker supplies pics along the way, so I made an assumption that would happen for me, as well. Like I said, I am not upset, just curious and a bit anxious...

9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    The necks are Allparts necks. At least the 2 I had were. Don’t know about the bodies but I’d imagine they are too.

10. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I believe they got a CNC machine a month ago. So Adam, how did you like their basses?

11. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Good but needed a fret dressing to make it more playable in the upper register. Granted, I had a Fender CS bass with the same issue.

12. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Lol. I believe they just got a fret machine, as well. Something like Plek, but not that...

Adam Wright likes this.
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    OP, I used to work in custom fabrication and if I gave someone a delivery date of eight weeks, that just meant that I had about seven and a half weeks of orders ahead of theirs. The shop isn’t slowly hand-planing the bass neck for months or anything. I wouldn’t worry about it until the delivery date, to be honest.

Gougedeye likes this.
  14. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I'm not worried, just curious. I really have no idea how fabrication works. I sort of assumed, builders built parts in batches. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I hope you enjoy your bass!

Gougedeye likes this.
  16. Every builder is different. Working for a const. Co. I did communicate with my customers frequently, sometimes daily. The first two basses I had built, the guy didn’t like to answer the phone (pre internet) cause he really was planing the necks sanding his own bodies and doing all the finish work himself. He didn’t, however, mind me visiting (not too long) and lending a hand when I was in the city. I try to remind myself, take care of the present and the future will take care of itself. But, yea, I’d relax for a bit. I look forward to seeing it. I happen to really dig well done faux vintage style basses. I played a Nash recently that really surprised me by how great it was. Enjoyz it man.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Gougedeye likes this.