Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I ordered my first...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jul 17, 2005.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    ...Fender p-bass yesterday. I have played a few jazz basses in the past few years but I've recently fell in love with the p-bass. I got a MIA butterscotch blonde w/maple fretboard. It comes with a h.s. case and a free iPod shuffle from Musician's Friend (Guitar Center). I couldn't really find what I wanted locally for the price I got it online so I'm happy to get it. It should be in by Wednesday of this coming week. It has the S-1 switch but from playing several around town and switching back and forth, I couldn't tell that it does much to the sound. I can't wait to rock up the new precision with my band.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like a nice color combo and a good deal considering the hsc and free iPod shuffle. I too have recently fallen in love with p-basses. I have a modded out SX P-bass in the works with Mr. Hambone and I'm also planning on getting a Bob Glaub Skyline by the end of summer. Anywho I hope you enjoy the new bass when u get it.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. What are you doing to the p-bass mod wise?

5. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Make sure you post pics when you get her in!! :hyper:

I played the same P-Bass for 25 years before going the opposite and picking my first Jazz (although a Modulus, not a Fender)!

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Anytime. Well seeing as though I couldnt find a Steve Harris Signature P-bass anywhere ( I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan :bassist: ) I decided to buy a cheap SX and have everything completely redone as a Steve Harris knockoff. So bascialy everything is being redone except the body. Hopefully it'll be done soon so I can start a nice thread about it lol.

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool TSNS. I hope it goes well and you get that Maiden sound you're craving.

Does anyone know which wood Fender uses (Alder or Ash) for the butterscotch blonde? I'm hoping Alder. Isn't it a bit darker sounding than Ash?

I probably won't do anything for a while (maybe ever) but what pickup mods could I do to upgrade from the stock pickups without changing the p-bass sound, IE keeping it passive but an upgrade to the Fender stocks. Or, are the MIA Fender pickups about as good as they come? Any info would be great.

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    p-bass in butterscotch blonde and maple fretboard = best taste ever, very nice. and to vivaknoxvegas: the stock pickups on my mia jazz are killer, def wouldnt change them. cant speak for mia pbasses since i dont have one, but the stocks in my mij pbass are awesome as well, so as far as those models go, i reccomend leaving stock pickups in.

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

Yeah, I probably wont. Just curious to hear what cool things other p-bassers have done.