1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I own 9 basses... will I get better if I sell some? how many?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcnach, Feb 11, 2018.

1. I used to own something like 15-16 a couple of years ago, now I only have 9, so I thought I was improving nicely.

However, THAT thread that popped up yesterday made me realise that 9 is far from ideal. I will never be a great if I have 9 basses. It seems I need just 1-3 basses to be great, and only then I will have earned the right to buy other basses. I see the error of my ways now. I feel very bad I deprived serious bass players from their hard-earned and deserved instrument. I apologise unreservedly.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

1) How many basses should I go for? Is it one, two or three? The mother of all threads did not leave that very clear. I read it all but it got closed before a consensus was reached.

2) Where do I get my accreditation to show I earned the right to buy more basses after that?

3) Is the accreditation recognised internationally? Or does that just apply to one country? If so, do I need to resit exams in every country I want to buy a new bass from or is it just a matter of filling in the right forms and send a fee through Western Union or something?

4) Does colour matter? It appeared to me that there were different rules for RED basses. But again, I am still confused. I feel I know nothing. That thread was devastating to my self-esteem.

5) Do I get to become great faster if I donate my obviously surplus instruments to a Home for the Deprived Serious Bass Player? Or do I get at least a gold star that I can attach to the back of the headstock of my bass (singular)?

6) What's the secret handshake for Serious Bass Players Club?

7) Yeah, I know [6]... but I had to ask.

Right... my coffee is finished. I'd better go play some... I've been asked to record a bassline for a CD that will be sold for charity containing a bunch of UK ska and reggae bands, so I'd better get on with that. I'll have to decide carefully what to record with. I don't want to be seen as stealing the place of Serious Bass Players, so I'll probably use my Squier Jazz, as apparently the authorities tolerate Squier instruments at all levels is seen as a sign of humility, which I really need, considering my horrible horrible crimes [*].

[*] and that's before they realise how badly I have modified some of those instruments... like the Squier... it cost me £75 used, in poor condition, but as I am not a great I didn't know it was not worth it, so I put some Area J pickups on it and added a J-Retro preamp... as if spending money would somehow make me better. I now know I was just compensating...

:bassist:

edit: this post is in jest, because of this:
    Why have so many basses?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    when I read your thread and saw secret handshake I thought it said milk shake at first.... mmmm, milk shake

3. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    It's not about how many basses you have, it's about how much time and effort you put into practicing and becoming a better musician!

Having tons of basses is only detrimental if you spend more time shopping for basses than actually playing them.

4. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    One 3TSB P bass with tort or gtfo.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    You will get better if you spend time practicing.
    Forget everything else.

6. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    1. take your pc.
    2. throw it out the window.

you've just improved 10000000 times with that alone. In fact I gave you the secret of life.
    Don't bother responding since I know you're pc is already in a million pieces.

7. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Don't feel bad. Embrace the dark side. Just two days ago I purchased a high-end bass, and my primary motivation was to deprive Steve Bailey.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    See now this is what held John Entwistle back as a bassist. He had too many basses...

armybass, LYNCHMAN, woodyng2 and 19 others like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

what are your goals (re: playing bass)?
    what is your skill level (re: your goals)?
    how much do you practice (to improve your skills)?

thanks.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. Oooh... now I NEED a peanut butter and chocolate shake... hmmm... and I know just the place and they deliver locally...

I'm so influenciable. I should never read TalkBass.

Crusher47, mikewalker and Barticus like this.
  11. I know. I was just kidding because of THAT thread yesterday. :)

But let's add something more seriously: I have gone through phases where I spent a lot of effort (time/cash) buying gear. Those tend to be times when I'm not playing much. When I'm busy playing, gear tends to take a backseat and stay there. It's like if I'm not busy playing I have to do something else to keep me 'in the loop'...

So being busy in bands is the best way: you save money by not buying stuff you don't really need anyway (mostly) and you make money too...

12. I had to connect my old PC running windows XP and go through a miriad updates, but I got it working. Phew.

;)

Interesting fact: before I joined bass forums I was pretty content with my amp/bass/effects. I spent so much more money since I started reading these forums. Dangerous stuff. Yes, thanks to them I've discovered my current gear which I am extremely happy with, and it's light, small, powerful and sounds great... but... yeah, dangerous places to visit. :)

13. I was only kidding... because of this:

Why have so many basses?

14. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    And flats.

Treebeard and Mvilmany like this.
  15. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stingray. Or, more specifically, an OLP Stingray. You don't want to appear too arrogant.

mcnach likes this.
  16. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Well, I owned 7 and I'm selling 4. I've already sold one and I feel better already. Gonna use the money to buy more gear :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It comes down to math, really.
    You have 9 basses, but you need one to keep playing, so 9-1 = 8
    8/100 = .08
    So, your playing will improve 8% for every bass that you sell.
    :D

tlc1976, Charlzm, BK bassist and 9 others like this.
  18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Unless bass ownership is on a log scale...

no, not that log - this log!

woodyng2, tlc1976, Skybone and 7 others like this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Basses are meant to be played with your fingers.....how many fingers you have dictate how many basses you should have.

I can give you my address and feel free to send me any of your offending excess basses - shipping at your expense of course, but I will carry the burden from there.

20. If you sell only one then you will have a octobass, a very rare thing indeed.

mikewalker and dukeorock like this.