1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I own a 5-string, I want a fretless, but I also want a 4-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TerranTheMoose, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TerranTheMoose

TerranTheMoose

Dec 27, 2016
    I'm just gonna preface this with the fact that I want a P-bass, mainly. I'm open to other brand suggestions but haven't looked into too many because the shape and sound of a Precision appeal to me more than any other (well, aside from a Rickenbacker, but I can't afford half of one of those).

As usual, I can't just buy 4 different basses (unfortunately). I currently own a relatively good Squier 5-string Jazz Bass, and while it's going great for me, it's a little limiting. I'd like to go ahead and add a fretless to my collection, but I made the revelation that it would be cheaper to convert a fretted bass to a fretless than pay the premium price-tag that fretless basses typically have. (There's only 1 fretless Fender P-bass on their catalog, and it's $1,700.)

So I came down to the conclusion, "maybe I should buy a better new one, and convert my Squier to a fretless," but I've hit ANOTHER problem. Finding a 5-string is a bit easier than finding a fretless, but it's still harder to get a good Fender 5-string than 4-string. I figure I could reason this out with a little help from the community, so what's everyone's opinions, get a new 4-string and de-fret my 5-string, or keep the 5-string fretted and try to find a different fretless (or de-fret a 4-string). For context, I play a wide variety of music, from a large gamut of jazz, to gospel, to prog rock, to really synthy background stuff, so I'd have benefits and drawbacks from all decisions.

Thanks in advance!

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I bought a used Squier Affinity JV and defretted it (among other mods). Came out awesome.

1E6E58BD-7DB9-4B93-BF26-3078B552BFDE.

TerranTheMoose likes this.
  3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.

How about a precision body, jazz neck, pj pups, fretless neck and 34" scale?
    Just got this '87 Jazz Bass Special. Sounds very punchy.
    This one is in new condition, and costs half a new fender costs.

Reverb has one just like it (within a couple of serial numbers of mine)
    Fender Jazz Bass Special Fretless

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    TerranTheMoose likes this.
  4. TerranTheMoose

TerranTheMoose

Dec 27, 2016
    Hm... That's incredibly tempting actually. Thanks for the link! I hadn't even thought to check Reverb, which is probably the dumbest mistake I've made in the whole situation.

5. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012