1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi, welcome

The advice in the above posts is good. The most obvious thing to check first is that the strings are at the right tension: in other words are they in tune! String tension and truss rod tension work together to ensure that there is the proper gap between strings and frets. That's why truss rod tension may need adjustment when new strings are put on.

It may well be that the neck is too straight and a tiny adjustment to loosen the truss rod slightly may do the trick. Retune the strings after you do this.

It could possibly be that the saddle height is too low (action height) although most manufacturers would set that a little high to avoid buzz. Same thing with nut slots; I've actually lowered the nut slots on all my HB basses, manufacturers err on the side of caution.

If it's none of the above get in touch with Thomann customer service. They are excellent and will give you advice on what to do which may well be to return it in which case they will then sell it as a Deko. Alternatively, depending on where in the world you are, it may be more economical for you to take it to your local guitar tech.

Don't give up on HB, they are excellent value for money but just like any other manufacturers in the world very occasionally a faulty one will get out.

AceMelon likes this.
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Hi Alan, here are four short videos produced by Elixir Strings that show how easy it is to set up your bass guitar. Most guitars need at least some of these adjustments, and my Harley Benton was no exception. It arrived with zero relief in the neck so it buzzed like a hornet's nest. If you don't have some of the feeler gauges shown in the videos, there are substitutes, such as using a credit card to check your neck's relief. Good luck Bob

3. AceMelon

AceMelon

Mar 30, 2019
    There’s so much good advice. I’ve had a go at the truss rod. Still buzzing a lot, but it was flat against the frets so had no relief. At least that bits right now. If anything I think it might be a little high now. But I’ve no inherent skill as yet so it’s hardly going to influence my ‘style’ :)
    I think I need to worry more about getting some finger strength and spread before I get to hung up on how it sounds. I wish I had a bit more time to play it. Like all day every day. I’m gonna learn this. 52 isn’t to old is it? :D

4. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    52 ??!!??

Good lord young man - don't get old before your time.

I got my first bass in my 60th year and knew so little that on day one I snapped the G string because I didn't understand tuning.

But I persisted and learned how to care for guitars. I even repair, restore and build basses now. It just takes time, patience and research. YouTube is a wonderful resource.

As for finger strength; you may well be trying to press too hard. But there are lots of finger exercises out there but my recommendation is to play at least an hour a day. Just learn the scales and repeat (a lot) but don't forget to stop along the way and sniff the roses
    Keep on keeping on

JACink and masonsjax like this.
  5. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    "52 isn’t to old is it?"

I think you are among the youngsters here....

Maartenaerts likes this.
  6. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey everyone,

I stumbled across Thomann and Harley Benton about a year ago. I bought one of their acoustic guitars and was blown away. I have been looking forward to the day I had the money to buy one of their basses.

The time has arrived! I will have (once I sell one of my current basses) the money to try something new. I'm super intrigued by the enhanced series, particularly the P. Honestly, my only hang up is lack of passive tone control (unfortunately, I don't know a thing about wiring so trying to sort that out on my own is not an option). The other two basses I'm considering are the Harley Benton JB-75 and a Squier CV 70s P bass. It seems like people go nuts for the CV Squier basses (the ones Crafted in China).

Obviously the JB-75 is the more affordable by far, and would leave me some funds to get some other gear, the Squier seems like a solid bet, but I definitely have fear of missing out on the opportunity for one of the enhanced basses. I've read everything I can find here on TB about them. I don't have money to buy new gear too often so when I do it's a big deal for me, even if it's a relatively inexpensive bass.

I'm not sure if there's really a question here, just wanting to chat about the options, find some encouragement, ideas, opinions, etc. That's one of the best things about TB, the excitement of the anticipation of getting a new bass :)

I've loved reading through this thread and appreciate everyone on it!

4 Out of 5 likes this.
  7. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi

I have 2 Ibanez basses with no passive switch and I find them absolutely fine.

I also have a JB 75 and would highly recommend that instrument. I have put Fender 55 flats on it and although I still enjoy playing it I think those strings are a little too heavy for it. I'm intending to change them for Fender 45 flats soon.

I also have a HB fretless jazz which I have to say I am very impressed with. Currently attempting to learn the bass line for Wherever I Lay My Hat by Paul Young. Quite a challenge.

I also have a HB PB 50 and that has an awesome vintage tone. ItsI also easier to play (for me) than other p basses I have played with quite a slim neck by p bass standards. My only regret is that I bought the sunburst rather than the red.

All in all I am definitely a fan of Thomann, having now bought 3 basses, a TC electronic amp and lots of spare part components from them. Their customer service team are excellent. Let's hope Brexit enables us in the UK to continue to trade fairly with them.

8. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    If you came here to find reassurance over buying a HB bass you did the right thing, let me be the first to tell you that there is nothing you can do wrong with one, this very thread is a living testament to what you are about to experience: a great instrument at a incredibly low price.

Maartenaerts and -Asdfgh- like this.
  9. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the quick responses! I feel good about going HB so I'm going to be trying to decide between the JB-75 or enhanced P. I've played a lot of different basses and have always come back to both P or J at various times. My band days are behind me and I pretty much only play at church and church events.

The fun thing about it is, I am quite confident that I will be completely satisfied with either. I've seen nothing but super solid reviews on the JB-75 and I love the looks of the black and maple, the enhanced series are still pretty new so there isn't quite as much info on them. All the specs seem pretty darn impressive though. I'm looking to move on from a 70's Japanese P bass copy just to try something different

Another thought is, for the price of an enhanced, I could afford a JB-75 AND a PB-50 (they seem to get a lot of praise as well) covering both P and J!!

Out of curiosity, the PB-50 says "on request." Does that mean that more are on the way but they don't have an arrival date? The JB-75 is out of stock for a month as well so it's no big deal, just wondering what that means.

10. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    You won't regret that combination.

A quick question to Thomann customer service will answer your question about lead time for the PB 50

11. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Hi @heb9_28. On Request means they will order from the factory when you order one. Usually 8-9 weeks. I was going to suggest a JB75 and a PB-50 for the price of a squier. The enhanced basses look much better than squiers but I haven't seen one as they don't do any lefties. Grrrr. Both the JB75 and PB50 are excellent basses. The only thing I could say against a JB75 is weight. Mine is 12.5 pounds and others have reported similar weights. I mention this just in case it is a consideration for you.

12. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Indeed there is a weight issue.

The JB 75 is a solid ash body which aids that lovely tone but is on the heavy side. I have an extra wide strap to assist with that. The PB 50 is basswood so is lighter but still has excellent tone and sustain; quite possibly because of it's hi mass bridge.

If you go for both take advantage of the free shipping and buy some nice flatwound strings too. Thomann have strings at reasonable prices but usually the shipping cost gets in the way.

13. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    That didn't take long:D

....and I fully support the buy 2 proposal!:thumbsup:

14. I've 3 strung through body,1 with a Fender BBOT and another with the original bridge. No difference in sustain between them.

Hipshot,Kahler,ABM,Schaller 3D,Wilkinson,Gotoh,Badass and cheap things from the Far East. I've basses sporting every one of those. Oh can't forget the T40 bridge,all 1.5lb of it :laugh:

Hi Mass = sustain belongs in the same Ancient Aliens episode as heavy=better tone.

15. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Looking for some feedback here: I really like my PB-20 (it gets most of my playing time) but the tone control seems more like an on-off switch than a gradual control: on a 1-10 scale the treble only cuts from 1-2 and then goes from nearly max to max from 2-10.
    I upgraded the stock pots with Alpha 250K ones (and a .047u Orange Drop cap), a linear for the tone and audio taper for the volume. I then replaced the linear tone pot for an audio one, figuring the shallower rise would make a difference. But not so much.

I thought about replacing the .047 cap with a .1 one but that probably will make the transition even harsher as the pot characteristics will not change.
    Maybe a pot that has a really shallow rise?

Any thoughts?

16. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Wondering if you have the pots in the right orientation?

I would suggest linear for volume and audio taper for tone.

It may be worth considering a treble bleed on the volume control

Bass Tone Caps: From The Top

17. @eric_B

I've yet to meet a P-bass player who uses the tone pot other than On or Off.

You get far greater effect playing nearer the bridge or closer to the neck than any pot/cap combination would achieve :thumbsup:

Jeff O'Connor and subdude67 like this.
  18. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    :D
    You might be onto something there - although a switch instead of a pot would have been a better component choice. The linear part of me seems to expect more in between choices from a pot.

19. The P-bass has remained virtually unchanged since 1951,too late for your switch idea gaining traction :)

When I said I'd never met a P-bass tone pot user I should have added more than a few bypass the tone pot completely. Some just run pickup to jack socket. Given the position a P-bass holds in a band setting the tone pot is pretty much redundant anyway :thumbsup:

Maartenaerts likes this.
  20. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks! On it. Now once I get my current bass sold I'll place the order. Super stoked. Thanks for the input everyone.

The weight isn't an issue. Like I said I mostly play at church. I'm not needing to deal with it for too long of a time. Plus I'm a young guy still