1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Untrue, if you count this as meeting.

The mind train likes this.
  2. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    So, how is your tone pot?

3. I don't.

4. chrisb67

chrisb67

Apr 4, 2019
    France
    Hello there,
    Here is my PB50 pickguard mod.
    Compared to the original precision pickguard, you will notice that pots are a bit away from
    the right side of bass. So I had to design a cross between HB bass and P bass.
    I ordered a black plastic plate, about 10e, and then saw from printed own design.
    What do you think of it ? Thank you !
    pb50_mod_black.

dabbler and subdude67 like this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    In any case, there are a non - zero number of PB players who don't use it as on-off. I used to use only on, never off. Now I use a variety of values unless I've had chance to set pedals appropriately for each song, in which case it's full treble for all as that's a consistent value. It's also why my backup P has exactly the same pickups

6. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Personally, i dont like the looks of it, the shape looks off

7. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I'm all for modifications that enhance instruments but I think that an important question to ask about this modification to a PB 50 is "why?"

Surely the whole point of the PB 50 is that it emulates an early Fender style, which I consider it does quite well with the exception of the headstock shape.

If you wanted that style of bass why not just buy an ordinary p bass like the PB 20?

8. Maybe the fella wanted a maple neck instead of quasi-rosewood.

9. chrisb67

chrisb67

Apr 4, 2019
    France
    Hello,
    well, nearly, as I wanted mainly sunburst finish. The other HB bass having sunburst is the JB. My heart was quite undecided..
    I don't really fancy the black color of the PB20, so I decided for the PB50.
    You guys have any experience with the JB compared to the PB ?
    Thank you all

10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Quoting myself here to update the weak note issue on my MM85-A--it was the strings. I had swapped in some Chromes from another bass and the B and E strings weren't intonating well, so it was time for fresh ones. I decided to try Dunlop flatwounds and what a difference they made. They're nice and bright, even brighter than Chromes, which balances the somewhat dark-sounding pickups really well, and now I don't have any intonation or weak note issues. I hope they stay bright for a long time. They really transformed this bass for me. :thumbsup:

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  11. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    This is how I modded my pb-50 (sorry for the bad picture)
    [​IMG]

chrisb67 and The mind train like this.
  12. 4 Out of 5

4 Out of 5

Oct 6, 2017
    If you gig with it, no-one in the audience will care to much about a black pickguard, so if you're happy with - that's really all that matters.
    And in my opinion modifying basses is cool, because it allows you to be creative and get the satisfaction of working with tools to make the instrument just how you want it.

13. chrisb67

chrisb67

Apr 4, 2019
    France
    You are totally right, thank you !

4 Out of 5 likes this.
  14. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Since you are starting to play, make sure you place your fingers right behind the frets, not on top of them. Doing the latter presses the string down onto the next fret and causes buzzing.

15. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I agree with the comment about finger position relative to the fret. Buzzing can also occur if fingers are too far back from the fret even sitting right in the middle of the space on the dot.

I'm now thinking one of two things wrong:
    If the buzzing is consistent across the fretboard then it may be that you have a bad set of strings, it does happen occasionally. Change the strings and see what happens.

If the buzzing is there on only a few frets then your frets may need leveling. That's not a beginner level job. I do it but you either need to take it to a guitar tech or return it to Thomann for replacement as these are good guitars but very rarely a rogue slips through. Thomann ship hundreds of instruments a week and yet there are only tiny numbers of Dekos on sale

16. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    Hello people,

I'm gonna buy myself the HB diy J-bass kit.

Thomann article-no: 280893
    Any of you have any experience with it? Should I upgrade the pickups immediately or wouldn't you guys bother?

I want to have it to get my first experience of building one. As an engineer in both construction and automation I think I can make it into something good and have a fun experience building it.

I do want to have a good Jazz Bass as well but I played a MIA fender J of a friend not too long ago and have not illusions that I can build it myself. So will buy something later on. This little project is just for getting the feel of building my own.

17. chrisb67

chrisb67

Apr 4, 2019
    France
    Hello,
    I gess the tricky part will be the neck reshaping, and the painting job. Do you feel comfortable with it ?

18. AceMelon

AceMelon

Mar 30, 2019
    As a little update on my experience with the HB. I sent it back. A friend of mine who can play has an Ibanez SR300E I don’t know if it’s the neck width or what, but I instantly got on with it a lot lot better. So a little bit of drunken eBay purchasing and £60 later I now have one in iron pewter. I preferred the look of the HB but the Ibanez seems to ‘fit’ me better.
    If I ever develop any skill then I’ve got my wish list Bass lined up. Again not scary expensive. The Dean Edge 3 in green starburst. Hideous to some gorgeous to me. Thanks for all the advice.

-Asdfgh- and kodiakblair like this.
  19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hi Rick, if you feel like doing it and you have some basic DIY skills and the drive to finish it, I say go right ahead and build your 1st bass! It will be a great learning experience and after you finished it, you will know all the ins and outs of your bass and can repair it and set it up as well. I did the same a couple of years ago (link here).

Depending on your experience and the equipment you have available, getting a nice finish (paint job) might take some time and efforts. If the headstock looks like the picture at Thomann then you would have to reshape it - unlike you like this look ;-)
    I would search online for a fitting shape, print and stick (or trace) it and saw it with a jigsaw.
    It will take a lot of sanding with increasing finer sandpaper to get a nice smooth finish, both for the body and neck.

About upgrading: you could buy some higher end tuners, upgrade the potentiometers and caps, maybe even better pickups. Not strictly necessary I would say. I would suggest buying good strings. And check if the neck is straight (ask a replacement if it isn't).

Good luck with your build!

JACink and LowRick like this.
  20. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Sensible solution. That means it will come up as a deko soon.

The SR neck is much slimmer than most but it seems to be the marmite of the bass world: love or hate. I have a SR 700 which I personally like and find very easy to play and can fully appreciate your comments about "fit".

I also have an Ibanez SRX 530 which has a very slightly heavier neck than the SR but is still very fast also it's a much louder gutsier bass than the SR because of it's giant humbuckers.

Still love my 3 Harley Bentons though.

AceMelon likes this.