1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    I got a Thomann P-bass kit a few years ago, and the best piece of advice I can give is: check every pilot hole before you try to screw in a screw, especially those in the headstock. Maple is a hard species of wood and the chinese screws are made of 'soft' metal. So, drill the pilot holes deeper when needed and use a bit of vaseline on the screw.
    Besides this, the neck that came with my kit had a maxed out truss rod and a lousy fret job. I applied for a new neck but the replacement I got from Thomann was even worse. At that time I did not trust myself leveling the frets so I gave the whole thing away. I hope you will have better luck.

LowRick likes this.
  2. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    Ok, thanks for the heads-ups and advices. I'll let you all know how it goes. Right now iI' working a lot of overtime but may will be slower so i'Il order it

3. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I would assemble the bass and play it before even thinking about a pickup swap. In my experience, there is very little benefit in "better" pickups.

LowRick likes this.
  4. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Totally agree. I would also fully assemble and play before taking time to do the shielding and paintwork.

I'm putting a bitsa together and will assemble before the fiddly bits like painting

LowRick likes this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If depends on the pickups, but I believe the Roswell ones are pretty good. Cheap pickups now are good compared to how they used to be.

6. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    I picked up a (almost) new PB-50 last saturday in my neighbourhood, one of the new series with the Roswell pickup. It's a great one, flawless neck, no dings or schratches. I noticed that the Roswell pickup has BIG pole pieces, almost like a SCPB-3. It sounds that way too, loud and with a lot of high end. The Wilkinson was a bit more mellow. But, with the tone rolled off a bit, it sounds wonderful. No way am I going to spend money on a Seymour Duncan.
    upload_2019-4-15_12-53-45.
    upload_2019-4-15_12-54-9.

JACink, zbigniew, Outtaseezun and 3 others like this.
  7. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    For those who want to know:

upload_2019-4-15_13-2-31.

8. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I recorded a comparison a while back between a Wilkinson and a Seymour Duncan in a PB 50 and they sounded identical.

The Wilkinson had a bit higher output volume than the SD.

Very recently I also swapped the pickups from a HB jazz bass with a pair of original Fender ones and I could not have told the difference if my life depended on it.

The only parts I would always swap on any cheap bass are the pots and the jack socket.

Maartenaerts and Joybass like this.
  9. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Obviously I'll disassemble again before painting
    I have 2 HB jazz basses with factory fitted Rosewell pickup and am very happy with them. My PB 50 also has Rosewell pickup and it's got a really good output level, almost as loud as the giant humbuckers on my Ibanez SRX.

So long as the pickups that come with the kit are alnico you should get a good output. Do be careful to adjust the pickup height to get the best output

-Asdfgh- and Joybass like this.
  10. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Agreed on that. Maybe also the tuners

Joybass likes this.
  11. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    Exactly what I've planned to do. Plus a bit of shielding. That's it.

12. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I've been using Goldo pots from Thomann which I have found to be very good

13. Sensible fella :thumbsup: I ran a poll on single coil P-bass pickups. 3 were handwound aftermarkets,1 was a highly regarded production model and the other was under £10 from China.

Simply asked folks to pick out the Chinese based solely on soundclips. Each pickup scored 20% of the votes and TBH I didn't expect anything different :)

14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Wow. How many votes in total, approximately?

15. With the safety of anonymous voting a record 15 voted :laugh: To place in proper context the post had 600 views so it may well be it was too close for 585 folk to call ;)

I deliberately omitted brand names,string manufacturer,body/neck materials etc.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It would have been nice if 150 had voted as that could have been statistically interesting. It's still somewhat interesting. I might ask my statistician friend about the non votes.

17. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    I did the upgrades on the PB-50 today. Full size Alpha pots, 047 capacitor instead of the 068 that was there, Switchcraft jack socket, shielding of the pickup cavity and control cavity with copper tape (and ground lead from pickup cavity shielding to pot cover), a bit of grease on the machine head gears, and I put on a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles. Not that there is anything wrong with the stock bridge, but I had a spare one and it looks cool. Good thing I took the wiring apart btw, because as soon as I lifted the control plate off the pickup hot wire detached from the pot. Bad soldering, and rather short pickup wires.
    The neck needed a bit of a shim because the bridge saddles (E and G) sat on the bridge plate. Did that with painters tape, a few layers, building up towards the body. Works like a charm. Now I can set it up with a nice low action, no fret buzz whatsoever. Incredible neck and fretjob for a bass this cheap. Got it for €75. ***. :hyper::bassist:

18. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Great job.

I have the new pots, cap and knobs ready to do the same job: just need to find the time now.

I'm planning to use conducive paint for the shielding as I've had good results on other instruments.

Also have it in mind to reshape the headstock to a proper vintage shape. Partly for the look but also to take weight out as I do find mine to be nose heavy on the strap.

Interesting about using masking tape as a shim. I've used it to shim out a neck socket on an ibanez Blazer body (p-bass) to get a snug fit on a Squier jazz neck. Works a treat.

19. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    PB-50 follow up: the single coil pickup sits on a big piece of foam and is forced into the correct position (height) by the screws on either side. This puts considerable force on the bottom plate of the pickup. I have read somewhere that this piece of the pickup might start to bend over time, even to the point that the pole pieces pop out. Call it OCD or whatever, but I removed the foam block and put springs on the screws. Puts the pickup in the correct height, and my mind at ease. Just sharing...

4 Out of 5 likes this.
  20. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Interesting.

I have some rubber tube that was sold as an alternative to metal pickup springs. Not tried it yet but may now have a go when I strip down my PB 50 to do the shielding and control replacement.

I am in the process of putting a bitsa p-bass together. The pickup, which I believe is from a Squier, has both foam pad and metal springs. Belt and braces by someone in the past.

Having used both foam pads and springs in the past I do favour springs as having the better range of adjustment